Microsoft: iPod, iTunes limit choice, harm consumers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Macmaniac, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

On the New York Times Website, posted by Macminute:
    Microsoft: iPod, iTunes limit choice, harm consumers
    January 10 - 02:09 EST__ A Microsoft executive said Thursday that the HP and Apple iPod/iTunes agreement would limit choice and harm consumers on the Windows platform. "Windows is about choice, you can mix and match all of this stuff," David Fester, general manager of Microsoft's Windows digital media division, told the New York Times. "We believe you should have the same choice when it comes to music services." As the Apple Turns has a nice translation: "Use any service you want as long as it sells Windows Media, buy any player out there as long as it plays Windows Media -- but for heaven's sake, don't buy one of those wretched iPod thingies or we'll be completely boned with our whole plan to monopolize digital media commerce and then we might actually have to start innovating for our paychecks for a change."
    Whoa total M$ spin!

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

"Windows is about choice." LOL. Windows is the most proprietary OS out there.

3. kenkooler macrumors regular

I'll have to figure out why offering more choices is limiting choice :rolleyes:

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-MattG

Windows is the last real proprietary OS out there, really.

This statement by MS is sure the pot calling the kettle black.

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Ah, but does the statement mean that Microsoft will try to get an anti-trust ruling against Apple and HP. Then we will truly know we have fallen through the rabbit-hole.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Looks like they just revamped their original press release for the iTunes Music Store, and added HP in there.

7. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Choice? Windows?!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Hoo.
    That's a good one.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That is quite classic :D

I'm going to enjoy seeing how MS and Dell end up dealing with the HP iPod issue.

D

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

God, that's classic coming from a company who wanted everyone to use their browser so bad they got sued for anti-competitive behavior! I guess they see choice as choosing any MS product you want.:p

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

whhhhaaaaaaaaaat??

XP, IE, Office, MSN, .....

can you say anti-trust suit???

11. Photorun macrumors 65816

Photorun

12. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

This coming from the company that charges $10 for an mp3 codec. ITs like saying yes its all about choice, aslong as its WMA. SUre you can uase any player aslong as it plays WMA. Sheesh

13. PowerBook User macrumors regular

I think As the Apple Turns sums it up quite well. For example, wouldn't a choice between AAC and WMA be better than just WMA?

14. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i thought statements this rediculous were reserved for politicians.

15. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The problem is I know a lot of intelligent people that are going to believe this.

The next few months are going to be very interesting. Apple, because they have allied themselves early on with HP, look like they are not going to make the same mistakes that they made with the computer industry that allowed M$ to become so dominant.

16. Macmaniac thread starter macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Unfortunately, stupidity in the windows world tends to snowball, soon all the WMA fanboys will be yelling about this.

17. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

This is freaking hilarious!

That's the funniest damn news item I've heard in a long time.

"We at Microsoft are very upset that someone is bundling additional jukebox software with our proprietary OS on top of the proprietary jukebox that comes with it, and offering a music player that doesn't use our proprietary format. We feel that such actions are very proprietary...stuff...related..."

Jackasses. Incredible. I thought the most rediculous thing that could be said by MS was the Balmer rant about Linux, and how there is no Big Brother to protect you if you have any of the famous Linux problems that Linux is so famous for...

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Could the statements by m$ just be covering up underlying fear on their part? m$ doesn't have a portable mp3 player, which they could certainly make (though it would suck like everything else they do) and HP is a pretty big player (right?) Maybe m$ is getting a little nervous :)