Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Utterly unsurprising. Since Microsoft bought Nokia it's been a rapid downhill in quality sadly, even software wise ...

Irony of course is that this is likely a good move for Noka (or HMD Gobal) who can now go and release that Android handset many of us have wanted them to deliver for a long time ....

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
This deal will only affect Microsoft's feature phone business, which is currently still using the Nokia brand for basic phones. Microsoft says it will continue to develop Windows 10 Mobile and support Lumia phones and Windows Phone devices from partners like Acer, Alcatel, HP, Trinity and VAIO.
So this only pertains to "non-smart" Nokia phones?

If Microsoft's focus is smartphones, seems kind of wise to lose the burden of designing/selling/supporting basic phones, no?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Does this mean we'll see high end Nokia Android phones in the near future? Or are we just talking low to mid range?

Reactions: MRU

kdarling

macrumors P6
Microsoft is selling its feature phone business to Foxconn for $350 million.

For those without time to actually read the article...

All it means is that Microsoft no longer wants to support phones using Nokia System 40 or Android.

Which is not news at all, since they announced a couple of years ago that they were putting such phones into maintenance mode only; no new development.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I do wonder if this means that Foxconn is intending to become more than just a contract manufacturer. That could make the Apple relationship a bit dicier...

Reactions: ceva321

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Key word is 'feature phone' so something like this pictured below so it's not newsworthy.

71-jtQHNl9L._SL1500_.jpg

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
They made some very bad decisions in those days. They seem to be continuing with the bad decisions in relation to the mobile world. It's kind of odd to be able to see something as a failure right away, but a multi billion dollar corporation still goes forward with it, like RT.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Utterly unsurprising. Since Microsoft bought Nokia it's been a rapid downhill in quality sadly, even software wise ...

Irony of course is that this is likely a good move for Noka (or HMD Gobal) who can now go and release that Android handset many of us have wanted them to deliver for a long time ....
Nokia users did not care about Android. They were waiting for a proper transition to Meego.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nokia users did not care about Android. They were waiting for a proper transition to Meego.
If only that were true. I really liked the N9 but the lack of apps and support after release killed it. But yeah it's social features / hub was ahead of its time.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Failure doesn't mean it can be a bad thing. Sega Dreamcast, Palm webOS, Nokia N9, BlackBerry Playbook's QNX, Sony PS Vita, Shenmue, etc. Many were commercial flops but I love them. The Shawshank Redemption was not a box office hit in theaters and didn't gain popularity until rental. Gilligan's Island wasn't a popular show until it got syndicated. Heck, Apple were failures for most of the 1990's. How many record labels rejected The Beatles before they were signed? We learn more from failures than from successes. If Windows Phone is practically on life support or dead, so be it. Even an Atari Jaguar and Sega Dreamcast still found life after death. Family Guy still goes on after being canceled twice.

With that said, FEATURE phones is being purchased by Foxconn including the ones who built the 640 that is made in Vietnam. Whatever WP comes out is handled by Nokia China, not Nokia Finland. It seems Nokia Finland will be returning after September of this year bringing out Android devices. I am fairly stoked because I believe Nokia really is my favorite phone OEM. People forget the N9 already had double tap to wake in 2011 before LG popularized it more with KnockOn in 2013 with the G2. Nokia is innovative on its own. Microsoft doesn't need to give them that failure disease.

I love my 640 not because of Microsoft but mainly because of the Nokia hardware especially its call quality, camera, and battery life. I hope Nokia Finland comes back strong with Android. Like Motorola and Sony, Nokia likely never becomes big like before. Nostalgic fanatics won't bring them back. Nothing last forever. There will be a time of winning and a time of being just another face in the crowd. Apple and Samsung will go through that too where they won't shine as brightly as before. But if Nokia Finland can still create a nice niche for themselves, I will be happy. Failures and mistakes can often lead back to successes even if only mildly again.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If only that were true. I really liked the N9 but the lack of apps and support after release killed it. But yeah it's social features / hub was ahead of its time.
What killed the N9 is that Nokia was then committed to Windows, it was an excuse release.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What about all the Nokia patents handed out to trolls and conveniently licensed to Microsoft?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.