Microsoft is so full of lies!

Discussion in 'Community' started by gekko513, May 2, 2005.

1. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Microsoft is so full of lies that even their OS tries to cover up it's flaws with false statements.

Windows just "crashed" because I tried the UN Food Force game. I was brought back to the desktop, but the start-bar was nowhere to be found. I tried a few clicks here and there, but couldn't get it back. Other windows function like normal. I ctrl-alt-del and tried to kill the explorer.exe process. (Is it supposed to respawn the way Finder does in OS X?) This didn't change anything, so I tried to log out from the Window Task Manager. At this point I got stuck, because it didn't respond to login attempts or restart attemps so I had to do a hard-reset.

When Windows was back up again, I got a "nice" green shield in the task bar with a balloon claiming that Windows had a restart because it installed an automatic security upgrade.

BS :mad: Windows did either fail/crash in an unrecoverable manner because of the game or it did actually install some security update, but decided to lock up instead of restarting.

Hmmmm ... it did the same thing again when I tried the game, so it definitely screws up on this one ........ I want to get home to my Macs :(

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Is your system set to automatically install critical updates? If it is, an update may have been installed without your knowledge and, if you hadn't rebooted yet, it would display that message upon the next bootup.

So it's not necessarily lying.

3. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Maybe ... but shouldn't Windows have restarted already then? It does "crash" consistently on the game, but the second time I was able to avoid a hard restart by logging out to the seemingly locked log in window and then hit ctrl-alt-del again for a login window.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, it won't restart automatically. You have to tell it to restart yourself when notified that a restart is required.

BTW, Bill Gates HATES having to reboot. When I worked on Office 2000, the developers told him that it would take 3 reboots to install all of the Office 2000 and Internet Explorer 5.0 components. He told them they could have ONE reboot... and they made it work with just one. The ultimate goal, which even OS X hasn't achieved, is to NEVER have to reboot except when installing a new OS.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

and just a note if this ever happens again. Force quit the explorer.exe process and then File > New Task (Run) > Type explorer.exe and your start menu might come back.

I haven't had any problems like that on my PC, but I know they do happen.

scem0

6. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

You worked on office 2000? Did you work on Office 2003 also? Because 2000 is so much better I regret upgrading.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yup. Here's a screenshot from the Office 2000 easter egg (the directions for which aren't anywhere on the web, AFAIK) with my name in it. And no, I didn't Photoshop this... if you want to know how to see the easter egg, let me know.

BTW, I happen to think that Office 2003 is MUCH better than Office 2000. (I left Microsoft in 2000.)

Attached Files:

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If he hates having to reboot, then I wonder why he probably uses Windows on his own computers :D

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

He hates the PRINCIPLE of rebooting. The ideal computer would never require a reboot, and would never crash.

And lest ye be called out for throwing the first stone, let me just say "Kernel panic".

10. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

The OS is a hardware abstraction layer. I would say the ultimate goal is that you only have to reboot when you change hardware.

11. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Hm ... cool chatting with a former Microsoft developer. What does PSS BETA Engineers mean? What was your role?

12. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Most hardware can be hot-swapped. Even processor modules in some Sun systems, I believe. Or have I just been dreaming this?

13. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Some Sun systems seem to be almost entirely hot-swappable. Here are the components that can be hot-swapped on a Sun Fire 12K system:

Hot swap, CPU, memory, I/O
    assemblies, PCI cards, power
    supplies, fan, expanders,
    system controllers, hot kernel
    patching

That doesn't leave much.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I wasn't actually a developer... I was one of the tech support folks (technically, the Office Support Lead for Microsoft's NC support site). My job was to make sure that the tech support folks had a say in the development process and to prepare for the release of the product. (Programmers are typically NOT very good at knowing how people actually use software, since they usually don't speak to users. Tech support input can move software from 'very good' to 'great'.)

PSS = Product Support Services. Beta = we were working on the Beta (pre-release). Engineers = we used to be called engineers (now they're "support professionals").

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Lies... :confused:

I thought people typically say they're full of the brown fragrant stuff...

16. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

Ouch .... tech support sounds painful. Still sounds cool to have been part of such a large project, though.

17. gekko513 thread starter macrumors 603

gekko513

LOL, I went through a couple of titles involving two different words for brown fragrant stuff before I settled on lies ;)

18. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, windows doesn't do that. You have to manually start explorer.exe again. It's really not the end of the world and not a hard step to follow after killing the process.

BEN

19. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

No, it does start again, just not fully...

It starts, it works, and its fully usable but the start up stuff doesnt load...

20. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

That's pretty cool that they can do that, but it's a pretty specialized market. I don't think Apple needs to go that far just yet :) (one day maybe...)

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Kernel Panic isn't unique to OSX, it is a Unix / Linux issue. However a "Fatal Exception Error" is unique to Windows. :D

22. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs