Microsoft Joining Supercomputing Game

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jun 23, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors regular

In typical manner, Microsoft announces a new product that "will be aviable in the future" as soon as they see that other companies are making money in a specific segment they aren't in at the moment. They only decided to have a composited graphics engine in Longhorn when they saw Mac OS X. Now they are working on (whoever believes that) a Windows version to run clusters since they saw Apple selling their perfectly working OS X solution to Virginia Tech and now the US Army Research.

It's really pathetic.

Especially if you look at these quotes:

That transalates into: "We neither have a clue nor a product but we want to make everyone nervous."
    ... Angry is that they make me

This translates into: "We don't have a clue but there's no business we don't wanna rott with our rotten products"

Well... go figure...

--- --- --- --- ---
    Free Desktop Pictures &
    Digital Apple Collectibles!
    http://homepage.mac.com/nuber

3. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

MS needs another cash cow. Office has run out of upgradeable options.

4. macrumors member

M$ will probably charge couple hundred grand for the OS.

5. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Lets see how many computer running this MS crap product can crash at the same time. It'll be like watching dominoes tumble. :)

6. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Ha.. distributed crashes.

Guinness Book of Records: Most simultaneous Blue Screens of Death

7. macrumors 65816

Photorun

Wow, Microsuck copying something Apple has done quite successfully... I can't believe they'd EVER copy ANYTHING?! [cough]

Without copying Microsuck would be offering up DOS 4.1 right now as their latest and greatest. All the innovation of algea and the imagination of a dead carp that company, I wish they'd just go away. One nuke is all I need, poof, no more M$ Redmond campus, Gates, or worthless drain to "technology.. " bu-bye now.

8. macrumors 603

Stella

Pure and simple:
    Windows is not reliable whilst during basic applications... let alone Windows being used in supercomputer configurations.

To be blunt, Windows is an absolute shambles.. ...a total and utter embrassment.

9. macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

"Me too!, Me Too!, ME TOO!"
    - Steve Balmer

10. macrumors G5

nagromme

Actually MS bought QDOS and renamed it MS-DOS, then added syntax copied from UNIX :D

(And QDOS was itself a clone of CP/M, which in turn was based on DEC OS's like RSTS/E.)

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS

11. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

There are some very interesting quotes from Larry Ellison's auto biography about Bill Gates. He describes him as a very intelligent man who is not afraid to admit when someone elses idea is better than his own idea about. He would also be the first person to take the other persons idea and use it for his own gain. As a result he is a very rich, intelligent and dangerous man when it comes to doing business. Apparently he is quite a hard and tiring man to have a conversation with because he has such a deep understanding of the highly technical stuff and doesnt talk about anything else other than technical stuff ( in other words he doesnt relax and joke about anything)

12. macrumors regular

Laughing my $ss off while thinking about that poor sysop who will have to go around, force-restarting crashed nodes. HAH-HA