Microsoft just don't get it do they?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBoobsPro, May 21, 2006.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Unfortunately I have MSN messenger on my G5 for my brother. If it wasnt for him it would be a total MS freezone. Anyway... I watched as he fired up MSN today and it said there is a new version available, but without asking if he wanted to download it or even if he wanted to upgrade it just started downloading. Then when it had finished downloading it automatically plonked itself on the harddrive without even asking if I thought it was safe to do so.

Is this not a HUGE security risk brought about by Microsoft yet again? This file could of contained anything and it just lodged itself on the HD. Usually when something pops up saying there is a new version I go and check it out first at the website to see if indeed there is a new version and whether its worth updating. I couldnt do a thing except watch it download and hope it didnt destroy my mac. :mad:

I am pissing my pants in anticipation of Vista absolutely fricking up the world even more than it is already. :D

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Yep!

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I second that :p

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Third. Adium is the best IM client I've ever used, and AFAIK, I've used them all. ;)

7. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

the minute that adium has video and audio support it will then be the best IM client on any platform...

8. russed macrumors 68000

russed

go on i'll go for adium as being the best also if everyone else is!

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

What if you want video and audio support? What would be the best chat client on the planet for that?

Text chat is preferred at work but at home I want to hook up my Mac to a TV and be able to have a high quality chat session from my couch. Perhaps with more than one person. Watch Star Trek when characters interact with others using the view screen (HD screen) on the bridge and you will know what I mean. That is how it should be at home.

10. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

adiumx is brilliant, but doesn't support webcams.

i use amsn when i need webcam stuff. it works with isight and on macos!

and no, ms don't get it. they're a bunch of eejits.

11. dylan macrumors 6502

I like proteus myslef. It just seems a lot more polished.

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

proteus isn't even universal last time i checked.
    the beta that works on intel macs is for proteus to run in rosetta, and it's been that way for a while now. pretty lame. personally i like adium.

13. dylan macrumors 6502

If you read the thread he's on a G5 so being universal isn't really relevant... and Adium 1.0 has been in the works for how long now?

I was just offering another suggestion, which I think is very valid considering the person using the program probably isn't tech savvy enough get to want to use Adium. Proteus is a lot more intuitive.

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

Version numbering is irrelevant. Arguably adium x (current) could be considered 2.0 and the 1.0 you speak of could arguably be Adium 3.0 as the original original Adium in 2001 was 1.0, while Proteus's developers have a product that's on the 4th major version now and still feels almost exactly the same if not NOT as great as the current Adium(X) 0.89. Adium has more features and wider support (like, perhaps, Growl...) than Proteus at this moment in almost every way, despite that Adium and Proteus were not created equal (except in that they both are gaim-based)...0.89 vs. 4.12? hmmmmm??? Again, version numbering is irrelevant. Universal or not, my point is still valid: while Proteus development is lagging behind (no working growl support, just upgraded to libgaim 1.5.0 in the last BETA a month ago vs. Adium's working growl support and libgaim 1.5.0 back when it was new...in August of 2005..., no universal binary, was not really free but now is starting to go free) despite the bigger version number (what, bigger e-penis?), Adium's isn't, especially because it's open source and anyone who wants to contribute can, instead of having to wait for a couple of developers to do the work.

In fact the Proteus development team's versioning is totally on crack, as they're naming the 4.13 beta from two wildly different dates with wildly different changes the same exact 4.13 version number, what the hell do they gain from that other than user confusion?

To prove my point, I like to make things easier on myself when working on programs and just up the number every time I commit. Initial: 1.0. Fixed 2 bugs and added x feature: 2.0. Added y feature, actual documentation: 3.0. So on, so forth. Versioning is no standard. The Adium devs and the Proteus devs clearly have different views on what they think the version numbering should be. Proteus guys talk incessantly about Proteus 5. Adium will go to 0.9 and then probably to 1.0.
    Hey, if ANYTHING, the stable Linux kernel tree right now is 2.6.16.17. This is for this decades-old widely used kernel. Not even at the 3.0.
    In comparison: Microsoft Windows: Server 2003 is at NT version 5.x, and Vista is going to be 6.0. Again, for a decades old OS, they're just now working on 6.0.

Hence, moot point.
    I understand that. However, intuitivity is highly subjective. Proteus and Adium both are based off of gaim and in fact, have almost the same exact feel, if not nearly identical options. No doubt a comparison of the options in the menus and a comparison of the preferences menus will make it clear that they're practically the same. Neither are particularly drop-dead intuitive as iChat is, but they're almost identical, with some changes in wording where Proteus is bordering excessive verbosity. If anything, Adium I prefer because it's slightly more accessible last time I played around with apps with Voiceover.

Adium is NOT JUST for the tech savvy.

Also as a footnote, I find Proteus to be horrendous and disgusting for exploiting open source projects. libgaim is licensed under GPL which would mean the Proteus developers (this goes for Adium too) would have to license their derivative works under the GPL, which gives them full license to redistribute their software for a fee (which they had been doing up till recently) provided the source code is available for anyone to look at (aka the copyleft). Adium does this no problem, its an open source project that anyone can help out and contribute to. Proteus developers instead came up with an elegant hack with distributed notifications to get around that licensing provision in order not to give out the source code, essentially an intermediary to go between libgaim and the proteus application itself, hence skirting around that GPL-licensing provision. WTF? They're slowly changing it over to BSD and making it open source and free (finally!), hence removing my biggest gripe about Proteus, but regardless, right now it is not and it's still nagware even for the free beta.

I can keep going if you wish.

15. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I hope that's not meant to be a serious critism is it? Open Source projects often go on forever without reaching a 1.0 level, mainly due to lack of management telling the programmers that they have to call the current release 1.0 *now*.

Adium should be judged on its quality, not on its version number, and for me its very stable and feature filled. OK, there's no webcam support, maybe thats what's holding them back from 1.0. But for those of use who don't want to see someone's spotty ugly mug, Adium is the perfect MSN client.