Microsoft Kills VirtualPC for Macintosh

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 7, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
    Link: Microsoft Kills VirtualPC for Macintosh
    Description:: At Apple’s Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) on Monday Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit (Mac BU) indicated that it will not develop a new version of Virtual PC, its PC emulation software.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

To much competition for Windows who overcharge :rolleyes: I don't think its going to be missed with apps like bootcamp and vmware :cool:

3. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It was bound to happen sooner or later..

4. macrumors demi-god

I love VMware. If their OS X Workstation is as good as their Windows product, then Parallels will have a run for their money, and Microsoft made the smart decision by not even bothering... :)

5. macrumors regular

Parallels!

I had a copy of VP7 for my G5 based Mac. I'm now using Parallels on my MacBook and it's incredibly fast. I compare it favorably to the Dells that the rest of my coworkers use. Plus, it runs more than Windows.

6. macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

It's not like we need it. Now if Apple can incorporate MSN Messenger into iChat we won't need MSN Messenger. Then all we're left with is Microsoft Office and for those weirdos that like running windows on their Mac, Windows XP and Vista.

7. macrumors 604

clayj

I would love it if Apple would add MSN Messenger support to iChat. I have a lot of friends and family who use MSN Messenger, but not AIM... so right now I can't camera-chat with them.

But Virtual PC going away is hardly a surprise. There's just no need for it anymore, unless you're still using a G4 or G5.

8. macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I never really used VirtualPC because it was way too slow for me and with BootCamp I knew it was time for VirtualPC to retire.

9. macrumors 6502a

VirtualPC on my G5 isn't terrible ... I play some low-horsepower sports games on it and will keep using it until I get an Intel-based Mac.

I wonder if Apple doesn't have something a little more interesting planned for Spaces than Jobs let on today ... such as integrating Spaces desktops with VMWare and Parallels.

10. macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Have you tried out Adium recently? :)

11. macrumors 6502

Well there's a lot of weirdos around here in that case; as it can be difficult not to let go 100%!

Even if there's just one app. out there that's part of the workflow [but only available on Windows] then it's gotta stay... Hard but simple!

12. macrumors 65816

Shotglass

He is referring to the incompatibility with MSN video chats.

13. macrumors regular

Adium can do all MSN Messenger for Mac can, neither of them supports video chat

14. macrumors demi-god

Thus the need for VirtualPC...