Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Speaking from an Apple ipad/iphone/Mac user.

I purchased a 16gb ipad last july. More storage would've been nicer, but it hoenstly does start to get really exspensive. What is it now for a 124Gb ipad, over in Australia its almost $1000! :eek:

Next year ill go to Europe (brothers wedding, so lots of RAW photos i need to transfer and convert), I don't want to lug my MBP and hard drive, so again you start looking at an iPad. 64Gb, well, thats $800, so im open to finding alternatives. Windows RT 64GB is $500. $300 in my pocket and my dilemma fixed? Yes please. The iPad may be nicer, but we can't always be spending huge amounts on tech, it is consumption and i do think Apple does take the p***s sometimes.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Speaking from an Apple ipad/iphone/Mac user.

I purchased a 16gb ipad last july. More storage would've been nicer, but it hoenstly does start to get really exspensive. What is it now for a 124Gb ipad, over in Australia its almost $1000! :eek:

Next year ill go to Europe (brothers wedding, so lots of RAW photos i need to transfer and convert), I don't want to lug my MBP and hard drive, so again you start looking at an iPad. 64Gb, well, thats $800, so im open to finding alternatives. Windows RT 64GB is $500. $300 in my pocket and my dilemma fixed? Yes please. The iPad may be nicer, but we can't always be spending huge amounts on tech, it is consumption and i do think Apple does take the p***s sometimes.

Not only that, but micro SD cards can be used with the Surface. So you have, theoretically, unlimited storage as long as you're okay with keeping the cards handy.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you on this, I use ¼ and ¾ display on my Windows desktop.

¼ for a Twitter client, ¾ for the rest of my stuff. Lets me keep up with the happenings while doing other things. I would love this capability on a tablet :)
And you have a 10 inch desktop screen?

J.gerbes

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
It's nice to know that Microsoft are still investing in iPads, despite the dismal Surface sales.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Many years ago I used to be a Windows user, seeing these ads really makes me cringe. Why don't they just admit that the RT was a huge mistake like the Zune thingy and the Kin, and destroy the leftover stock. There is no dignity in flogging a dead horse.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
What can you actually do with a USB thumb drive connected to an iPad (via adapter, as shown in the commercial)?

Also, does it come with an unrestricted Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student Edition or is it a trial / limited functionality version?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
What can you actually do with a USB thumb drive connected to an iPad (via adapter, as shown in the commercial)?

Also, does it come with an unrestricted Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student Edition or is it a trial / limited functionality version?

Full Office 2013 Home and Student, aside from Outlook which is coming in 8.1.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
Not only that, but micro SD cards can be used with the Surface. So you have, theoretically, unlimited storage as long as you're okay with keeping the cards handy.

They can be used with the iPad too. Or your digital camera. Buy the camera connection kit. Your photos import to the photos app on the iPad. Then Photo Stream will upload them to iCloud when on wifi. Leave your Mac on at home and. They will be waiting for you when you get home.

Works brilliantly with RAW files from my Nikon D300. The RAW files are waiting for me in Aperture when I get home.

And for the idiot that does t know how to load files on an iPad, try email. Or grab an app like File browser and lconnedt to SMB or AFS shares.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Actually to be honest I liked it how in a way they did do a relatively far comparison, showing that the Surface is indeed heavier than the iPad. Either way the Surface for the price actually seems rather reasonable and enticing.
I agree. I bet the people complaining about this ad had no problem with Apple's, "I'm a Mac" campaign, which was essentially the same strategy.

It's enticing that you're essentially buying this product at cost. When you buy an iPad, 30 or 40% of your money is going to Apple's cash reserves. But when you buy a Surface RT, a Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire, you're paying for what you're receiving.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
They can be used with the iPad too. Or your digital camera. Buy the camera connection kit. Your photos import to the photos app on the iPad. Then Photo Stream will upload them to iCloud when on wifi. Leave your Mac on at home and. They will be waiting for you when you get home.

Works brilliantly with RAW files from my Nikon D300. The RAW files are waiting for me in Aperture when I get home.

And for the idiot that does t know how to load files on an iPad, try email. Or grab an app like File browser and lconnedt to SMB or AFS shares.

A) Exactly, buy something extra.
B) And if I want more than just images? Can I have a spread of PDF, images, music, and movies on my 64 gigabyte micro SD card and easily move them all over without having to he a third party app?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Seriously Microsoft, stop touting that awful kickstand. Especially if you're not even going to show the iPad's Smart Cover in the comparison.

I love the first Surface commercial where the guys in ties are dancing and put the Surface on their laps with the kickstand out. Their hands never leave the Surface or else it would just fall over.

Seriously, the keyboard accessory is an add-on and not included in the $349 price, so this is false advertising. You can get a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard (or any number of bluetooth keyboards) that work with the iPad and turn it into a device that DOES sit on your lap -- and they cost the same or less than the Surface Keyboard.

Also, iWork is WAY better than MS Office on Surface RT that puts you in that awful "desktop mode" where "touch optimized" means bigger buttons and more space between them, but nothing else. Only thing good about MS Office on Surface RT is that it comes with the tablet, so it is free, but it still sucks. It's like giving away muffin stumps -- nobody wants them.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I love the first Surface commercial where the guys in ties are dancing and put the Surface on their laps with the kickstand out. Their hands never leave the Surface or else it would just fall over.

Seriously, the keyboard accessory is an add-on and not included in the $349 price, so this is false advertising. You can get a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard (or any number of bluetooth keyboards) that work with the iPad and turn it into a device that DOES sit on your lap -- and they cost the same or less than the Surface Keyboard.

Also, iWork is WAY better than MS Office on Surface RT that puts you in that awful "desktop mode" where "touch optimized" means bigger buttons and more space between them, but nothing else. Only thing good about MS Office on Surface RT is that it comes with the tablet, so it is free, but it still sucks. It's like giving away muffin stumps -- nobody wants them.

That part about iWork s a good one.

I needed a good laugh today.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Surface simply isn't selling and this iPad attack angle is pure fail. People that own iPads love them. If you want to carve a niche for yourself, stop bashing other products or having a bunch of people dancing around 'clicking' the smart cover and start doing what apple does..... show people what they can do with it and make people feel like it can amplify their life.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Bigger screen, fewer pixels. Actually, IS the screen even bigger? Longer diagonal does not mean it's bigger.

Last edited:

XtraSmiley

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
I thought this ad was great and will actually sell a lot of them if MS can air it in the right places.

There are plenty of people looking for a tablet that's not an iPad.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I still don't see how people figure that. I would rather have a Surface any day of the week - it is actually a useful device that can create files, in a known Office package, save them to a familiar file system rather than a failed online service, and transfer them directly via a USB stick as people are used to.

One can also put files onto the device in the same way, including many video formats that play natively. By comparison when people ask me, "can you put that on my iPad?" I have to say, "I have no idea." With no USB and no visible file system, I find myself at a loss. Maybe through iTunes?

You love Microsoft, and Microsoft loves you. You deserve each other, and I hope you'll grow old together. Meanwhile, my videos are transferred from my Mac, wirelessly if I want, or from the cloud. My photos magically turn up on all my devices. I add an appointment in my calendar on the Mac, or add a phone number in the address book, and it appears on the screen on the iPad. Without having to do anything.

That's the difference between a Windows user and a Mac / iPad user. The Windows user has to figure out how to do things. For the Mac / iPad user: It just happens!

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
1. The keyboard bit isn't free in fact it's really expensive

2. Rt has no apps

3. Win 8 takes up all those extra gbs

4. Poor battery life.

5. Non retina screen

The list goes on and on, ms is selling at a loss and still any ios or android looks like slam dunk on all its features.

Like of and mac it'll be a two os thing in the end and we might see one or two weird ones here and there. Win8 is currently looking like one of those small fry.

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Ugghh...Apple might consider suing Microsoft. The implication is that there is no way to get a keyboard with the iPad and that the Surface comes with a keyboard, neither of which is true.

Also, I played with a Surface the other day. That kickstand is worthless because it has only one angle. I'd much rather have a case that allows me to adjust the angle of the tablet and use the space on the actual tablet for a bigger battery.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
1. The keyboard bit isn't free in fact it's really expensive

2. Rt has no apps

3. Win 8 takes up all those extra gbs

4. Poor battery life.

5. Non retina screen

The list goes on and on, ms is selling at a loss and still any ios or android looks like slam dunk on all its features.

Like of and mac it'll be a two os thing in the end and we might see one or two weird ones here and there. Win8 is currently looking like one of those small fry.

Poor battery life? Is that why this is the tablet that has the best battery life out of all of the Tablets I have ever had?

As for apps, you're using the wrong argument. Mostly, I get by. I don't care if it has 100k or 500k, I care about it having the apps I use.

Can't argue about the keyboard or the space.

The last one is, well, irrelevant to me. Seriously. The text is nice and crisp and the images have nice color. There is more to screen quality than PPI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.