Microsoft Launching Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for iPad Today

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 27, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In his first major public event as Microsoft CEO, Satya Nadella today headlined a media event to introduce Office for iPad, in line with earlier rumors. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for iPad are now live in the App Store as of 11:00 AM Pacific Time.

[​IMG]
    Word for iPad
    All three apps will be free downloads and will include viewing and presenting capabilities free of charge. Users wishing to edit or create documents with the apps will need an Office 365 subscription, which is priced at $9.99/month or $99.99/year for a Home Premium package allowing access from multiple computers and mobile devices.
    [​IMG]
    Excel for iPad (via The Verge)
    Microsoft acknowledged soon after the introduction of the original iPad back in 2010 that it was looking at the possibility of bringing its Office suite to the tablet, and by early 2012 a reported prototype shown by The Daily. Microsoft's plans remained in flux, however, with the company reportedly reluctant to embrace the iPad as it sought to push forward with its own Windows tablet initiative with Surface.

With Nadella now running Microsoft, the company has finally committed to releasing Office for iPad, although some argue that it is too late given that an entire generation of users have already moved on to embrace other mobile-friendly productivity solutions.

Update 10:50 AM: The event is over and Microsoft has published its press release. The press conference is also available for on-demand replay, while the company has published a blog post covering the release.

Re/code also has a review and video overview of the new suite:

Update 11:00 AM: All three apps are now available for download from the App Store:

- Microsoft Word for iPad [Direct Link]
    - Microsoft Excel for iPad [Direct Link]
    - Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft Launching Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for iPad Today

2. macrumors member

Oh hey microsoft, finally coming to your senses :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 6502

I would have said hooray to this 3 years ago.

4. macrumors newbie

Now let's see if he's smart enough to do this without requiring an Office 365 subscription...

5. macrumors 601

cambookpro

Hmm, I will certainly at least try Word as that still seems to be the standard format for pretty much any text document.

However, I think it's too little, too late as iWork is actually really, really good on the iPad.

6. macrumors regular

Let’s welcome Microsoft to the post-PC era.

7. macrumors 6502

vsighi

Satya Nadella, now this is the guy who will change Microsoft.

8. macrumors member

Yes!!!! I'm getting a new iPad then :)
    Microsoft Word for Mac 2014 Anyone?

9. macrumors member

Yay! I'm sick of not paying a subscription for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

</sarcasm>

10. macrumors 65816

I can't see any iPad users wanting this when they already have access to the best mobile productivity tools in Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

11. AngerDanger, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

I've been using an early version of this for a while and noticed what I thought was a bug: whenever I typed, I could hear a very quiet, high-pitched tone. It seemed to stay the same volume regardless of ringer/master volume configurations. I finally recorded the output as line-in audio on my computer and spent some time messing with it. Lowering the pitch and raising the volume turned the tone into a familiar sound. It was reversed audio. After reversing the playback, I could distinctly hear the robotic voice of Microsoft Sam saying over and over, "The Surface is superior. Multiple apps. Clicky sound. USB ports!"

:p

12. macrumors regular

polterbyte

Welcome to the relevant side of computing devices, Microsoft.

13. macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Good stuff. As much as I hate to admit it Microsoft really does and always has done Office applications far better than Apple.

14. macrumors 68020

poppe

It'll be interesting to see what happens. If microsoft could make excel/word as powerful as the desktop clients and make them easier to use than any other current platform then there might be hope for the programs.

15. macrumors 6502

RoelJuun

I can see al lot of little buttons in the applications (I'm watching the live stream). Let's see how it is going to work out. Especially now that iWork is free.

16. macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer would never have allowed this

17. macrumors 65816

JaySoul

Well, that is truly excellent news.

Word up. I'm liking this positive outlook from Microsoft.

18. macrumors 6502a

BornAgainApple

I don't see it in the App store yet.

Edit: Oops, 11:00AM PST. I'll wait :)

19. macrumors regular

iHEARTcartoons

This will definitely be a boom in the work environment for all the 9-5 hipsters.

20. macrumors newbie

Good, now release Office 2014 for Mac please.

21. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

You can view / share documents for free, to edit you need an office 365 subscription.

you can sign up for a free 30 day trial of Office 365 at http://www.office.com/try

22. macrumors 65816

musika

This looks fantastic. It looks like Microsoft really put effort into making a great UX for iOS 7.

23. macrumors member

Can you store files locally or do they need to go to One Drive?

24. macrumors 6502a

Just no longer relevant for me. As posted above too little too late. With free iworks I don't need anything else.

----------

That hysterical, no interest and I suspect that will be the responce of many

25. macrumors 65816

Read Only for free... Goodnight.