Microsoft leaks details on Xbox Next

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 2, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Holy crap!!! :eek: Now there's no excuse, we gotta have 4 x G5's in a PowerMac! :D

3. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

More spec info: http://nextbox.ccfx.net/specs.php

It just gets better, I hope they can deliver on this:
    This 65nm chip would go along with the other rumor.

4. macrumors G5

nagromme

Very smart!

I think MS is very smart to choose to make the next X-Box without a hard disk. Gamers do not want to download add-ons or demos or maps.

( Shhhhh.... ;) )

5. macrumors 65816

yamabushi

This suggests that the G5 CPU is very inexpensive compared to x86 competitors with comparable performance.

6. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Very smart!

Odd, the link I put in my last post lists it as maybe having a 100GB HDD.

7. macrumors 6502

Since MS is losing money on each xbox sold, they could very well write an emulator for OS X, it wouldn't be to difficult. They make money out of each game anyway.

8. macrumors 68020

well, i think this proves that ibm has re-established itself as the chip maker to beat.

overall, i think this could have interesting implications for us mac users. it's not exactly a quantum leap from G5 in Xbox to G5 in PowerMac... only time will tell...

9. macrumors regular

And you know what gamers want? I'm pretty avid console gamer and most people i talk to online playing ps2 online are looking forward to purchasing the Hard Drive add on for the ps2.

Downloading maps, new characters, listening to your own music and many other things are some of the great features you can get with a HD.

Now with that said. Xbox reason for leaving out a HD might be for a different reason all together. The fact that you'll be able to access files and download files to your computer over your home network.

No it isn't much of a quantum leap but people said that when Nintendos Gamecube annoucned it was going to have a powerpc chip. Not much came of that.

I think it has more to do with the fact that the g5 is getting great speed increases as they shrink it down and the amount of power it consumes is very low when compared to a similar performing x86 chip. Remember one of the problems with the xbox they are trying to correct is its massive size.

The link you posted also says this at the top

10. macrumors member

Way to dwarf sony :p Oh well, the more pissing fights between the two, the better consoles we get ;)

and yes, i know then mean MB :)

11. macrumors member

Any one else see this? 13th paragragh down.
    Now thats alot of RAM!!!!!!!! Sure its a typo. hehe.

12. macrumors regular

I agree one hundred percent.

(*wink*)

13. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Re: Re: Very smart!

I think you should read his post again and you will see what he really meant...

14. macrumors 6502

This is so pathetic

What the hell is going on here!? They plan on having a console out in Fall of 2005 based on what Sony will be bringing out in 2006? All I heard in that story was "Microsoft will do this and that, unless Sony does this and that." Why dont they stop copying people and make something on thier own. Im sure Sony is looking at what Microsoft is doing as well, but they are the leaders in this game. I hope sony keeps it quiet that they are going to put a hard drive in the Playstation 3. Then let MS NOT put a hard drive and then the day after the Xbox Next, have Sony come out with some details INCLUDING a HD. That would be awesome. Make MS think they arent putting al this crap in. Then put it in after MS has molded thier Xbox around the supposed specs.

15. macrumors regular

Re: This is so pathetic

Microsoft will know what ps3 specs are. A tactical last second change to the specs to throw off the competition is very hard to do. Espionage

16. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: This is so pathetic

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. macrumors regular

could this be another reason for MS's purchace of VirtualPC? Just a thought..

18. macrumors newbie

It would sure feel good to be running Panther on a triple-processor Xbox, but I guess if the hackers found a way to do that it would hurt Apple sales. Do you think that would be possible?

19. macrumors regular

Is the name going to be "XBox Next"? Wonder if Steve will take offense to that? :)

20. macrumors regular

could be

I don't see why backward compatibility is such an issue. I think its more of a marketing thing than any thing. Only time i used a ps1 disc on my ps2 was to see if it worked.

It'd be great if u could hack that thing into running osx. Probably won't be able too though.

21. macrumors G5

nagromme

At least some people understood my post :)

From the article:

In contrast with the current Xbox, the next one will have no hard disk drive -- unless Sony puts one in the PlayStation 3.

...The current Xbox has an eight-gigabyte hard disk drive. That drive is useful for online games and storing game art, but many developers chose not to make use of it. As a result, Microsoft seems to have decided that saving the $50 the hard drive costs outweighs its benefits.

Not to mention MS making the new Xbox incompatible with the old:

``I can't imagine that Microsoft would be so insanely stupid as to make it incompatible,'' said Jon Peddie, an analyst at Jon Peddie Research in Tiburon.

Go MS :)

22. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Backwards compatiablity should be a go...

that is why I was hesitant to buy my GameCube, N64 has a great amount of games, but none would be transfed over... since cartridge vs. cd/dvd.

Ah well.

Also... No hard Drive or 100 GB hd?

lol.

I think they should upgrade to a 10 GB hd and just leave it there, maybe some Massive online based games could come out and use the HD...

3 G5-like 3 GHZ processors... sounds nice to me...

Now, like the Linux people, we need to get one... and make it into a SuperMac!

:D

23. macrumors member