Microsoft logo scheme means Office Depot won't sell non-compliant XP products

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by vniow, Mar 24, 2003.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Back door passageway to DRM among other things?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8472

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This is starting to sound like a kickback scheme, if you don't pay us we'll make sure nobody sells your product.

This will kill a bunch of the small generic device sellers, which may or may not need drivers to work with an operating system.

But to hinge something on the XP operating system... :eek:

3. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

That is pretty rediculous...

If I was a PC user, I just would not buy from OfficeDepot anymore. I wonder what would be their actual motivation to do this at OfficeDepot, all it would do is possibly reduce their product line, not increase software quality. By nature you have to be running a buggy OS to use that software.

4. alset macrumors 65816

alset

If it were anyone but M$, I'd say they are making moves to achieve better integration across the platform. Of course, Apple is the kind of company to use guidelines to improve the user experience. M$ likely has some more nefarious plot.

Dan

5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Why does M$ use these in your face marketing tactics? Don't force my hand man!

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    kinda like the ugly ass windows and intel "stickers" which are forced on every laptop's body somewhere. make them look ugly as hell. stupid idea.

7. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

This sounds to me like the first steps toward palladium. (recently renamed due to bad press) Palladium will require all software that runs on Windows to be certified by M$. And Windows will only run on certified hardware. (Under certain settings. Supposedly you will be able to turn this feature off)

Can we say world domination.....

8. alset macrumors 65816

alset

World Domination? They already have it. Now they are going for Consciousness-Control.

Another thought on the topic... Wouldn't this hurt Office Depots sales? A LOT?

Dan

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Does OfficeDepot carry Mac software? Wouldn't this automatically exclude Mac software?

10. ear2ear macrumors member

Sort of like, OS X will only run on certain...

:D

11. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Office Depot is basically saying, alright majority of PC users, you can't buy apps or hardware here. XP sold a lot but it is not in the majority of PC households. This is completely stupid. M$ must be paying them handsomely as this sounds like a Tony Saprano type gangsta mucle move to force people to use XP or nothihng at all.

MS knows they are up ****s creek and are trying to force people to upgrade. Very dirty and is sure to bite them in the ass.

12. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I don't see how they expect this to get anyone to switch. I know I'd run over to CompUSA and pick up office software there and save tons of money, rather than purchase my software AND XP.

Come on, M$. You've made mistakes before, but this is just STUPID.

Dan

13. sawaguchishinji macrumors member

Maybe Bill Gates is trying to make Windows a lot more reliable.