Microsoft Longhorn Loses 'My' Prefix

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by srobert, May 31, 2005.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Link to whole article

Extract:

Ending a longstanding tradition, Microsoft Corp. plans to stop using the word "my" as the default prefix for such folders as "My Documents," "My Music," "My Pictures" and others along those lines. Starting in the next Windows version, due out next year, folders will be known simply as "Documents," "Music," and so on.

Here is the line that grabbed my attention:

I thought it was the other way around: Anytime anybody does something, Microsoft wants to do it.

At least now, switching from Longhorn to OSX ">insert name fo big cat here<" will be a little less confusing. ^_^

By the way, isn't Allchin the same guy that said that Panther/Tiger were copies of Longhorn?

2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i think that is kinda stupid. after you switch users and whatnot and have more than just an "admin" account, its a lot easier to have "my" folders instead of just a reg folder

for comp illiterate people, i just think its easier :)

3. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Wow, Microsoft drops the "My" off of a folder or two and its news. Soon "Documents and Settings" will become "Home" and "Program Files" will become "Programs." :eek:

I think "My Documents" and "Documents and Settings" and "Program Files" are from back when Microsoft was throwing the fact that they now support spaces in their filenames in our faces. I remember back in the days where there was some stuff that had to be done in the dos shell and seeing

MICROS~1 <DIR>
    MICROS~2 <DIR>
    MICROS~3 <DIR>
    MICROS~4 <DIR>

in the PROGRA~1 directory. Ugly ugly ugly. I remember one windows install I had I painstakingly tried to rid my system of all long file names because some of the programs I used didn't recognize them and I HATED that ~1 it would use to uniquely identify the file! Gahhh!

uh, end rant. Sorry guys. Get back to work!

4. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

haha, it should be:

"everytime Apple does something, microsoft wants to do it!"

my useless input.

tastic

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

"Spreakety the Lingety, eh?"
    --Dr. Evil

Yes, you used the words correctly. Yes, Microsoft is going to rename Longhorn "Big Kitty" as their codename.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Next breakthrough from Redmond: the Programs folder is going to be renamed Applications and Control Panel being changed to System Preferences... ;) :p

7. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I think people realised that the "My" being referred to was actually Bill Gates, and not themselves. :p

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, My Documents doesn't make me feel like that, but Microsoft Money does. :eek:

9. mpw Guest

Could it just be recognition that when using Windows your documents are pretty much available to anyone through one of many security holes? ;)

10. JonMaker macrumors regular

<paranoia>

it's because they don't belong to the user anymore :eek:

</paranoia>

11. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

The fËÇ?ing computer it mine!? Should I prefix EVERY SINGLE FILE with the word "My" on "My" Hard Drive?
    Perhaps I'll go round and tag every single item I own with the word "My", even the paperclips!

A step in the right direction, but a small step down a long road with many-a-wind in it, that leads us to-ooo, where we-eee, belong... Mac OS X Tiger -Grrrr!

12. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

ha that made me giggle and my dad got offended
    :p

13. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Yup. And boy did it backfire. I run into programs that still can't handle being in "Program Files" because of the space in it. So instead of showing how they support spaces, it just keeps throwing in people's faces how difficult it is to use arbitrary names.

I can't wait until they rename the registry to Library, and trumpet how they were the first to use XML configuration files.

14. sonyrules macrumors regular

WHAT?? Everytime Microsoft dos it, every one else follows????

Umm, lets review, They are just now taking the MY out of equation..

Lets review the attachment, I see no "MY" In any of the screen

Attached Files:

15. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

It truly is a freakshow in Redmond these days. They simply don't get it. Think I'll download OpenOffice tonight and rid myself. Should have done it a long time ago...

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Microsoft Works used to make me feel like a fool.

17. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

That reminds me of the funniest thing that happened in school the other day.

My English teacher was trying to explain to us what an oxymoron is. So he said an example is "Microsoft Works". I thought that was funny.

18. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

"Ending a longstanding tradition, Microsoft Corp. plans to stop using the word "my" as the default prefix for such folders as "My Documents," "My Music," "My Pictures" and others along those lines"

I really think the reason that they removed the "My" from Documents, Music, and Pictures is because no matter the user profile (prom1 or bunny), and no matter the account type (administrator or user for either or both) your folders truely dont belong to you, its open to anyone logged in. This occurs even in WinXP Pro SP2 with ALL current updates as of todays date. Just go into My Computer, click on the C:\ drive, then Documents and Settings (thats an issue right there), then click on the user's folder (prom1 or bunny), then click on their "My Documents" folder and you have full access to everything in their, even to delete stuff. This is within a default installation, no registry crap hacks, just a simple users experience.

Is this fault present on a Mac??

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I actually don't mind.

A quick search for My reveals:
    My Albums
    My Chat Logs
    My Received Files
    My Deliveries
    My Albums
    My eBooks
    My Games
    My Music
    My Pictures
    My Videos
    My Webs
    My Playlists
    My Documents
    My Recent Documents
    My Computer
    My Downloads

And I have My Briefcase disabled.

They could save hundreds of megabytes by removing the letters "M" and "y" from the thousands of occurances in Windows :D

Not to mention MySQL ;)

20. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

It's a bit off-topic, but I recommend getting NeoOffice. It is a variant of OpenOffice.org which integrates far better with OS X. Functionality is the same as OpenOffice.org 1.1.4. You can get it from
    http://www.neooffice.org.

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I wonder if this is microsofts way to try to make "i" look like it was a copy of my?

they do sound allot alike :rolleyes:

22. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Now with Automator we could rename every file on the computer to have "my" at the beginning.

hehehe
    :D

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That was sorta my point. :p

Same with the "Microsoft Money" post I quoted, I think. Play on words or whatever you call it.

24. wide macrumors 6502a

ahh, the suspense!! :rolleyes: i bet there's going to be an article about how Microsoft might rename themselves Crosoft now... the person who wrote that article has way to much time on their hands...

25. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

If Windows is set up correctly you don't have access to the "My Documents" folder of other users - you can see the folder, you just can't see its contents. If you can, then you are most likely an admin.