Microsoft Losing Next Generation of Office Users by Delaying iOS Release

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft has a complete version of Office ready for release on the iPhone and the iPad, according to a new report from Reuters. The software is said to be ready to go as soon as new CEO Satya Nadella decides on a launch date.

The lack of Office software on Apple's devices is becoming a serious issue for Microsoft as it hemorrhages both users and revenue to simpler apps, losing its grasp on an entire generation of users. According to one analyst estimate, Microsoft is losing approximately $2.5 billion per year avoiding an iPad version of Office.

[​IMG]
    As Microsoft fails to bring its productivity software to Apple's mobile platform, companies are switching from the Office suite on computers to a cheaper, simpler, touch friendly solution. Reuters gives Artivest Holdings, a New York financial services startup, as an example of one company that has begun to shun Microsoft Office.

At Artivest Holdings, Office has been largely replaced by Quip, a simple and free word processor that allows users to create documents and send messages on any platform, including iPhone, iPad, and desktop. Hundreds of similar productivity apps that mimic Office features are available in the App Store at little or no cost.
    Microsoft has positioned its products, including PCs and tablets, as productivity tools that outshine the iPad's capabilities, but the company's moves to keep its software largely on its own platforms have not been paying off as the iPad has soared in popularity despite Microsoft's efforts to paint it as a device solely for consumption in an extensive anti-iPad advertising campaign.

The slew of Office-style apps available for users has begun to motivate Microsoft to ramp up its deployment efforts, in the hope that it's not too late to win back some customers. Office for iOS could come at any time, and news leaked earlier this week that Microsoft has plans to release a free version of its OneNote note-taking app on OS X to increase cross-platform compatibility and to compete with apps like Evernote.
    Recent rumors have suggested a version of Office for the iPad will be available soon, though an exact release date is unclear. Microsoft is also working on an updated version of Office for Mac that should debut later in the year.

Article Link: Microsoft Losing Next Generation of Office Users by Delaying iOS Release

2. macrumors member

I don't really want to do 'real work' on an iPad unless it's an iPad Pro.

3. macrumors newbie

umrk

What is Microsoft ? What is Office ?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

It took them this long to realize this? Yes, keeping your software away from a potential market of millions will result in a loss of potential revenue. Groundbreaking! They need to get back to their roots as a software company and stop trying to create all these anti-Apple campaigns as they're clearly not working. Even Samsung had a recent commercial that was void of any Apple bashing... they just focused on the highlights of their own products without bashing the competition.

5. macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

I think Word makes the power-user stuff pretty easy to use, but I really do like Pages 5 now that it's had some key functionality restored. I love the desktop program + web app + iOS app synchronicity, too.

It isn't perfect yet by far - WHY CAN'T I RE-ORDER PAGES AROUND? That made my dissertation layout far harder than it needed to be - but on the whole it's very competent.

I realise I speak for myself, but I've also found Office on Mac to be ugly and slow, in stark contrast to the Windows version. I'm curious to see it realised on the iPad, but it'd have to be incredible to get me to switch.

6. pgiguere1, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014

macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Most of Microsoft's products generally aren't bad, they just happen to have a bad timing for what they offer.

"Too little too late".

The Zune, Windows Phone, Surface, all that stuff could have been successful it they were released earlier.

But by being so late to the party, Microsoft allows small competitors to slowly grow into decent competitors, and Microsoft's expertise and cash don't offer them a significant edge as if they started competing with small competitors from the start.

Same for the news of OneNote finally being released for Mac and MS thinking about acquiring Evernote. They could have been competitive with Evernote from the start, with similar platforms and timing, but instead they ignored them and let them grow until they were a serious threat to their products.

If Office for iOS/Android ends up not being very popular because people are already comfortable with free alternatives such as iWork/Google Drive, I'm not going to feel bad for MS. Not a single bit.

7. macrumors 6502a

BornAgainApple

I don't want the whole Office suite. I'd rather they offer a la carte like Apple has done. That would reduce valuable space on my iPad. Pay for only what you need.

8. macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

Now if they will not do that subscription junk, they may actually get somewhere with it. I am not going to keep paying monthly or yearly for Office.

9. macrumors 68000

\-V-/

You should really try Scrivener.

10. macrumors member

"When they want to do real work". What a joke

I've historically been a very heavy Office user, but made the switch to iWork including iCloud about 6 months ago. It has been a joy compared to working with Office bloatware

11. macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Looks great in terms of functionality. UI looks a bit of a hodge-podge in my opinion, though. Again, all I want from Pages is the ability to re-order pages from the page thumbnail window and it'll be everything I need from a word processor.

12. macrumors member

I want it.
    The sooner the better.
    Evyerthing else then MS excel sucks ass if you want to do real work.

13. macrumors 6502

So Microsoft, how's that "let's withhold Office from iOS to force people to buy Surface" strategy working for you?

14. macrumors 6502

They're a software company they shouldn't limit their own market. They should stick to innovating their own products rather than getting late to the punch each time with their **** releases.

15. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

Yup, a little too late.
    But I'm not gonna lie, I will use this app more then Apple iwork software.
    Cause of compatibility.

16. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I just hope it's better than the Windows Phone version. Even the Windows Mobile version of Office was 100 times better.

17. macrumors regular

Think it's more that they always felt consumers would look at MS Office as a key differentiator and buy MS tablets. Whereas it seems he truth is that when people aren't locked into the "MS standard" they would rather choose products that are better suited to their needs.

18. macrumors regular

I suppose it would be nice for people who need their Office stuff on the go, if it will work well with soon to be released Office for Mac through their cloud service.

19. macrumors 6502

512ke

Hey thanks for posting about Quip. That's a great resource.

Why the world needs Microsoft Word just to edit documents, is a mystery.

Pages works great, Google Docs, even Simple Text will be on the cloud soon.

Not sure I see why Word Clip Art is a "must have" at this point.

20. macrumors 68000

BJMRamage

Trying to find info online but not getting good results that compare...

How does Quip Compare to Pages?

Thanks

21. macrumors 6502

Shhhh! Don't tell them about that. Let them think that holding back is a good idea. Geezz folks.

22. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

I haven't used Office in about a decade. There's simply no need for it anymore, with so many other alternatives that are just as competent. If I need simply to distribute, Macs can natively export to PDF. If I want to collaborate on a document, there's Google Drive or (if the collaborator has an Apple account) Pages in the cloud.

The ship has already sailed and MS is standing at the dock hoping to catch the next trip out.

That's not an issue. Almost all competing software, from NeoOffice to iWork, can export in MS format.

23. macrumors 68000

they already lost me a while ago ... and if they are really going to 'improve' it with money sucking subscriptions, than there is no chance that they will get a second chance.

24. macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I use office every day at work on my PC. Would have bought this first day for my ipad in 2010, 2011, or 2012. Now I am sick of hearing about "real work" and I would not download it even if it were free. :D

25. macrumors 6502

Take a proprietary format that everybody uses and move it to a proprietary format that nobody uses?

No thanks, you can go **** yourself Dave.