Microsoft Mac-Only Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skibob1027, May 31, 2006.

1. skibob1027 macrumors member

Thought this was interesting - it looks like Microsoft is making a Mac-specific keyboard and mouse combo (not even a Windows Start key!), looks pretty nice, but I don't think it matches too well with current Apple hardware.

Comments?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

More power to them. :) I am not a big fan of their keyboards. Their mice seem nice. But I personally am not getting any non-Bluetooth wireless peripherals....

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Any pics? Maybe it's to go with those new OS X-running Dells we've been hearing so much about recently. ;)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Eh. I'm not a fan. I love the way Apple's keyboard looks. :eek: Except for the fact that the clear and white bits just allow for dirtiness to show up more.

6. skibob1027 thread starter macrumors member

My main disappointment is that it is not Bluetooth - I already own a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop, and I like the keyboard and mouse, but the fact that it takes up a USB port and is infrared really bothers me.

7. ahamilt2 macrumors member

If there's any place where Microsoft kicks Apple's butt, it's in keyboards and mice. I will look into them when I get my macbook.

8. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

That's very good looking. I hate cleaning my Mac keyboard soo much.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What's that curvy thing? Next to the Caps Lock key on the left-hand side?

The keys look nice and rubbery, probably just the pic though.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

There's something to be said for using USB and not Bluetooth for your keyboard and mouse. Namely, if you are using a switcher box (KVM) to run multiple machines, the keyboard and mouse get switched between machines. If you use Bluetooth, you're stuck with the problem of how to get the keyboard and mouse to control only one machine at a time.

It's a scroller. Lets you scroll up and down without having to use the mouse (similar to a scroll wheel).

11. skibob1027 thread starter macrumors member

It's a "zoom" slider for pictures.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is a good point, I guess... not that it applies to me! :eek: :p

I've heard some people have had good experiences buying a KVM setup with a USB plug and putting a USB bluetooth dongle in it. The dongle switches between systems and takes the keyboard and mouse with it. This I guess is essentially the same thing that happens when you plug Microsoft's dongle into the KVM USB port? It seems to work, according to reports on the net....

13. skibob1027 thread starter macrumors member

For how many people would this actually be a problem for, though? I think majority of users would rather have a good Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, and those who have running multiple machines through a switcher box can stick with infrared versions.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I don't know of any current model wireless keyboard-and-mouse solutions (esp. not from Microsoft) that use IR. They're mostly radio-based USB solutions now.

To answer Mohan's question, yes, you could use a Bluetooth USB dongle. But doesn't that defeat the purpose of having built-in Bluetooth in your Mac mini or iMac? In my experience, Bluetooth is overhyped... my wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse work perfectly between my PCs and my Mac mini, and the battery life is better than with my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (which are used with the Mac mini in my bedroom).

15. adk macrumors 68000

adk

wow... sure does look mac-ish, especially the giant palm rests.

16. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I don't know what everyone is talking about. That thing is fuuugly!

17. eddx macrumors regular

eddx

Yes it looks a bit ugly compared to the current Apple keyboards and the curved keyboard would bug me but I think this is a good move. Apple are certainly the best company for computers in the whole world but come on, they need to sort out their keyboards and mice, its the little details we love all love with Apple. So why do Pro customers who get metal computers (silver) rather than white plastic. I want:

• An Apple Keyboard, similar to the current one but half as thick
    • An Apple "PRO" Keyboard, similar to the thin Apple normal keyboard above only all silver and metal, similar to the macbook pro or powerbook keyboards (for the powermac / mac pro)
    • A Bluetooth "mighty" mouse with detactable USB cord for charging via USB - both in silver (pro) and standard white for the consumer desktops.

Who is with me? You think any of this will ever happen???

18. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Sorry, but if I get a Mac Pro I'll be getting that keyboard and mouse.

Apple's stuff is great on my Mac mini and looks the business, but I couldn't stand to spend the whole working day on something so ergonomically poor.

I guess if Apple wont make decent workstation keyboards then Microsoft will do so, gladly.

20. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I have to agree - looks cheap and tacky.
    Macs have a clean simplicity to them - that thing just looks like a child's educational toy.

No thank you.