Microsoft made the Zune because partner hardware "sucks"

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by BoyBach, Jan 21, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Engadget is reporting that Microsoft made the Zune because other MP3 players weren't good enough. Or as Jim Allchin put's it: "sucking on media players."

So why, as Engadget says in finishing the story, did Microsoft modify an existing Toshiba "sucking...media player..." for the Zune?

Answers on a postcard to usual address. :D

2. islandman macrumors 6502

Microsoft admitted early on that this first-generation of the Zune was meant to take 2nd place quickly. In order to do that in a small space of time, it was probably much easier to modify an existing media player. I bet the Zune is still far from being "good enough" for Microsoft, but they did achieve their goal.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Are you sure they took second place? SanDisk had a fairly good hold on the 2nd place position last time I saw figures. The Zune only grabbed 2% of the market on release and I doubt sales exploded over the Christmas quarter so I still reckon they'd be in behind SanDisk, Creative, Samsung and even iRiver so I think they're probably in around 5th place which in a market so massively dominated by Apple isn't a fantastic position to be in.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Sandisk doesn't have an HDD player. I presume M$ are looking at sales of HDD-based players.

They based the Zune on the Tosh presumably because it was the best non-iPod available at the time in terms of performance, features and size.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh yeah. :eek:

Just ignore me folks I'm delirious from the heat.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Isn't Zune the #1 "30 Gig music player" right now? - that's what sources are saying...

7. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Number 1 in sales right now? Maybe, the peeps who wanted an iPod for the last year prolly already have a 5G and the ones who still want to buy one are waiting for the 6G.

But it certainly can't be in total sales, thats just impossible.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which sources?

9. Project macrumors 68020

Zune had 10% of just the 30GB category for November. Its likely that most people wanting Zunes got it during this month.

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Trying to find the article... I do also remember that it was for November sales, and that it was ONLY for 30 Gig size MP3 players and they were waiting for the December sales figures...

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

#1 in non-Apple 30GB music players, or #1 overall? The latter seems rather hard to believe.

This article also claims 10% of 30GB sales. It would seem difficult for that to be true simultaneously with "#1."

12. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Yeah, but they have 100% of the brown 30GB mp3 player market!

(still looks like #2 to me)

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hey! I'm brown, and I have an iPod! And I'm not afraid to listen to Beyonce music on it. I will get my Buddha call, I swear it! :D

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Well, I've looked around for the December sales figures and they're not available anywhere. Probably because MS doesn't want people to know that the Zune has essentially "left the radar screen"...

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, like sales figure is that easy to get. whats the mac's market share in computer industry last december?

16. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

No, no, no... It's the #1 "30 Gig music player that's made by Microsoft AND comes in turd brown". It's easy to be #1 if you make up the categories...

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well based on the looks of it the Zune may be come a legit competitor for the iPod and really do some damage in that market and that is something good for all of us since it would both companies would be push each other their products better.

I have not tested it on my my computer but based one what I can see with WMP11 the software tie it looks pretty user friendly and fairly easy to work with. So it no longer a crappy software system that the other non iPod players had so they at least have a good software side going.
    It not as nice as iTunes but still pretty good.

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Like PS3 "sales", someone in another forum mentioned he worked at a game store and sold the same PS3 5 times (the people kept bringing it back), for Sony, that's 5 sales...

19. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I read the first reviews, and the machine hung up on them like 4-5 times before having the option of adding music (and after a complete survey)

Yeah, I really laughed at that, I saw it on this forum as well... although I recall it was 7 times he sold the same PS3 ;)

20. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Are Sony counting PS3 sales, taking into account sales and returns or just shipping numbers? I seem to recall they were counting units shipped to resellers, like they did with PSP and PS2.

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They're using the shipped numbers - if they move them from the factory to a warehouse that counts as "shipped."

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought that the Zune does not use WMP11?

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It doesn't, the Zune uses it's own music management software which is a bit of a dog's breakfast in terms of "user friendliness." Lack of WMP11 integration was one of the leading criticisms of the Zune.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've seen one, yes, ONE person using a Zune since it's been out, not including the demo at electronic stores. I can't walk on campus for 30 seconds without seeing a crapton of iPods, or other MP3 players for that matter. I don't even see them taking #2. Except for the brown Zune, it looks like someone did indeed take #2....

25. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

4.2%, up from 4.1% in November, according to my sources. :p