Microsoft Messenger for Mac5.1.1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abhishek, Jul 19, 2006.

1. abhishek macrumors member

Hi All,

I have been reading quite a bit bout how Messenger doesnt run on MAC OS. But i just thought I'd give it a shot and ended up downloading it from here

And so far its been working fine! So im wondering what all the hue and cry was baout..were you guys talking bout MSN Messenger Live or soemthing?! Cos yea i think MSN messenger kicks this one's a**

Lemme know

..abhi

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its more the fact that the mac version is SOOOO far behind the PC version. No drawing, voice, video, voice clips, any of that stuff. Plus its ugly. That is why I don't use it. :D

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh Messenger runs on Macs, we're complaining because it doesn't have feature parity with the version for Windows - voice/video chat, all the other bells and whistles etc.

It's irritating that whilst MS can produce a good (I would say better) version of Office for the Mac but they can't seem to get Messenger right. You think it's bad now, you should've seen Messenger 4 - it was so long between 4 and 5 we thought it would never come and when it did what did we get?

- User pics
    - Brushed Metal interface
    - Corporate stuff nobody uses.

That's it.

4. abhishek thread starter macrumors member

haha TRUE..but im so glad i can atleast see my MSN friends online..All along I was like WTF?! and thats the primary reason why I wanted to go the Bootcamp or Parallels way...Now tho I am not even gonna bother taking the Windows Walk..:D

hmmm..any ideas as to when an update will be releasing? also do you guys think i downloaded the latest version(see the link in the prev post)..or do you think i need to get it from elsewhere..??

also, my display pic change isnt reflecting!! wonder why!!:confused:

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It sounds like your new the the MSN on mac world. I would suggest using Adium, or one of the other 3rd party msn clients. :D

6. NJuul macrumors 6502

I second that. Use Adium, much superior to mac messenger. Can be heavily customized and it allows you to connect to other instant messenging services.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Me thinks that they can, but don't want to.

8. abhishek thread starter macrumors member

9. abhishek thread starter macrumors member

hmm downloaded it..must say im not too impressed with it :( its already found the wy into my trash.....shall stick with messenger till then..

hey guys jsut generael wuery- any idea how i can get the mac to show my desktop in one key!? (somthing like the show desktop in windiws?)

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

11. Willehard macrumors newbie

Willehard

Try F11

12. abhishek thread starter macrumors member

13. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah Adium is good...Google Adium not asium...

14. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

Soon Yahoo Messenger will integrate with M$N and we will have all the features I hope. The Beta of Yahoo is very promising.

15. abhishek thread starter macrumors member

hehe..got adium only..that was a typo..sorry

16. Greebazoid macrumors regular

um, the time between your downloading adium post to your trashing it was 13 minutes.. find it hard to believe you can test it properly in that time

17. abhishek thread starter macrumors member

yea well I wasnt too impressed with the interface...prefer the Messenger one to the Adium...Sure I didn't test out each and every functionality, but the window pane where i talk to my friends and the interface in general - didnt catch me as much..probably give it a try later :D

Man, the software updates are taking forever!!:( sigh...

I need to go and search for new applications that I'd like on MAC...

..abhi

18. NJuul macrumors 6502

You should really give Adium another shot, you can pretty much customize it to look like whatever you want it to, just download the appropriate skin.

19. abhishek thread starter macrumors member

wow! u guys really seem to be hooked onto it...

fine shall give it another try...:p

and will let yu know how it is

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You can change the interface, sounds, icons, basically any part of Adium as you see fit.

Use F11 to see the desktop, F10 to see all open windows within a specific application (TAB between applications or select with mouse) and F9 to see all open windows (TAB between windows or select with mouse).

For even more fun, hold down the Shift key when you do it and it's all in slow motion - same with Dashboard and minimising/maximising windows. If you play a movie in a Quicktime window, hold down SHIFT and click the green minimise button - the video will continue to play as it's slowly squeezed down into the dock.

I just use Messenger because I'm too lazy and don't need the features of Adium but Adium is a very good program, especially if your mates use different clients as it works with all of them.

21. iminimac macrumors regular

adium is great - especially the tabbed messages
    ive swapped around between messengers

i started with msn
    it does the job and doesnt crash (well hardly often) but really it lacks so much in features
    so i swapped to adium
    and then i tried mercury because it can do webcam - but its so annoying because it crashes CONSTANTLY so i gave up on that
    i went back to msn because its pretty secure
    but now im back on adium just because i can customise it
    thers a few things i dont like but its good

does anyone know how to organise the list of groups on the contact window
    i have my groups listed as 1,2,3,4,5 but adium lists them 4,5,2,3,1
    anyway to fix this?

22. abhishek thread starter macrumors member

well well..been on adium for quite some time and tweaked around quite a bit...must say - IMPRESSED..thanks guys..wouldnt have bothered logging into it again if it werent for the persistent nudges :D

but i still cant get my google talk using jabber to work on Adium..any suggestions?

23. NJuul macrumors 6502

Congratulations!!

Maybe this will help you connect with Google talk:
    http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24075

24. abhishek thread starter macrumors member

25. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

you can add a Google Talk account in Adium. why do u need jabber? yeah but no "talk" support.