Microsoft Messenger Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Robert Grant, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Robert Grant macrumors member

This morning I logged onto MSN and it was fine then I got logged out and now it doesn't want to log me back in .. I tried logging into all 4 of my accounts, didn't work, then I reinstalled Microsoft Messnger ..

Again it didn't work and then I decided to go on my brothers one and signed in successfully .. His works, and none of my others do .. Any solution or explanations?

2. Robert Grant thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking maybe it was a server problem but it just seems a bit strange that they have all gone down apart from my bro's and everyone else's are working fine ..

3. steelfist macrumors 6502a

well, you don't just drag the program to the trash bin if you got program problems, If i were you would delete the stuff for messenger in the Libary folder in User and Macintosh HD. that removes the possibility that you have currupted preferences other kinds of files for Msn.

4. martin1 macrumors newbie

I too am having similar problems on my iMac g5 today where MSN Messenger displays error "failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later". The last time I logged into it successfully was last night at around 7pm. Surely it can't be a Welsh thing, I'm from mid Wales! I'm wondering if the software updates I did yesterday prevent msn from communicating in the way that it wants to, though it did work fine for a few hours after that update. I've tried totaly removing MSN Messenger and re installing it, no luck there either. Our windows based PC can login fine by the way. I'll give it a day or so in case it's their end.

5. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

It does appear to have been server problems.
    I also had difficulties yesterday (local time).

I use Adium - and kept getting GAIM errors.
    Even tried Microsoft Messenger for Mac (yuck)... with same connection issues.

Seems to have resolved itself now though.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

7. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

MSN is always the most dodgy at the worst times.. When you ask a question in a group convo and get dc, and ARGH..
    lol.. I hate more when it doesn't even give an error message, or seems to be trying to sign you in for ages and ages..

8. Liesel macrumors newbie

argh!!!

I'm a windows to mac convert and therefore know very little about the wonderful world of macintosh. Can someone please help with the following:

1. Can't figure out how to display webcam in mac messenger. I knew how to do it in windows live, but suprisingly it's slightly different. I'm presuming the iSight camera is capable of webcam?

2. The main page doesn't display emoticons in my contact's names. I thought i'd set which ones to display, but apparently not!

9. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Mac version of Messenger doesn't allow video chats.

Try Skype or iChat (using AIM for PC friends).

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recommend using Adium for messaging and Mercury for MSN Webcam

The next version of MS Messenger:Mac will have video, and is coming Jan 15th :)

11. Liesel macrumors newbie

thanks!

Thanks so much for your time and help!