Microsoft messenger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by psychofreak, Nov 5, 2006.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I use aMSN and adium, but I prefer to use Microsoft Messenger when I don't want video. When I leave the app open, but am browsing the web etc. it signs me out and I get an error message 'unable to connect to the network...'

Any ideas (BTW I have reinstalled to no avail)

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

that was useful.. not. To the op it dose that to me too i think its microsoft trying to make the mac look bad

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Microsoft/MSN Messenger has always broken for unknown and unexpected reasons. It almost looks intentional but it could be something that they're doing with their servers that give preference to Windows users.

Over the years, I've noticed that a lot of messages "cannot be sent" or that the client unexpectedly disconnects, though I've never had a continual problem connecting.

I use Mercury Messenger unless I need some special Microsoft-only service.

Scarlet Fever:

Trying reading the first sentence.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

whops... sorry about that, i'd only just woken up. :eek:

but yeah MSN for Mac has always been dodgy. I was once having some problems sending files on Adium, so i assumed that MSN 6 would be more stable. I downloaded it, set it up, and added a contact, and the program froze. This is version 6 of a big software companies product, and its less stable than a 0.89.1 release of open source software.

5. Squiggy macrumors newbie

Have you tried the Adium 1.0 beta? I find it to be a lot more stable than 0.89. You can get it at http://beta.adiumx.com However, the site doesn't seem to be responding right now. The Adium beta is the best chat client I have found for OS X and I highly recommend it.

6. NatPro macrumors member

NatPro

why would you use msn when you can use adium?

7. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

One feature: I like notifications and quick links for hotmail