Microsoft Offering Up to $250 Off Band 2 With Apple Watch Trade-In

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new program from Microsoft is encouraging Apple Watch users to switch over to the Microsoft Band 2 with a few tiers of trade-in initiatives (via Cult of Mac). The company is offering "as much as" $150 for the aluminum Apple Watch Sport, $200 for the stainless steel Apple Watch with a Sport band, and $250 for the Apple Watch with Milanese Loop.

[​IMG]

The Microsoft Band 2 itself costs $250, so the Milanese Loop trade-in offer is the only one available that would fully pay off the price of the wearable band. Microsoft is also accepting other wearables for users to trade for a new Band 2, including a FitBit Flex ($10), Sony SmartWatch 3 ($25), and Pebble Time Steel ($25). For any successful trade-in, a device must abide by a few stipulations listed by Microsoft:
    The program runs for a few more weeks, ending on February 7, and is available only to users on the Microsoft Online Store in the United States and Canada. Microsoft unveiled the Band 2 at an event back in October, and launched it the same month, introducing a new curved screen with durable Corning Gorilla Glass 3 and an improved touch display on the wearable smartwatch.

Response to the new generation of the Microsoft Band wasn't entirely positive, so the company's new trade-in program could be an attempt to generate some sales for the device in the months leading up to the Apple Watch 2's rumored launch in April.

Article Link: Microsoft Offering Up to $250 Off Band 2 With Apple Watch Trade-In

2. matt3526 macrumors regular

That's a pitiful amount of money for a trade in. I bet the conversation went something like this:
    exec: How can we make money off the band 2.
    employee: By doing a trade in and then selling the apple watch on Ebay
    exec: Consider it done!

3. Sp1281 macrumors newbie

Im totally going to do this.
    I have a time machine and I'm about to go back to 2000. So I need a more appropriate watch for that time period.

4. spazzcat macrumors 68000

spazzcat

The Band and Apple Watch are two different devices. One focus on fitness with smart watch features the other is a smart watch with fitness features....

5. Dappadandy macrumors newbie

Is there something I'm missing here? Why would an individual "give away" their Apple Watch at such a low price to then spend $100 more to get this Microsoft watch?

6. Luis Mazza macrumors regular

Luis Mazza

Microsoft's employees... Because they're forced to do it, or risk losing their jobs.;)

7. BradWould macrumors 6502

BradWould

Wow. What are they going to do with the millions of Apple Watches flooding in? :rolleyes:

8. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

aajeevlin

I might consider it if they would to do a 1:1 trade in with any Apple Watch. I'm personally okay with the Band (I tested the Band first gen). It was not bad, but it was very awkward to wear.

9. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

10. vmistery macrumors 6502

Yes Microsoft please take my Porsche in exchange for a Ford...

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Someone who understands they are two markets for sure!

12. pacalis macrumors 6502a

Seems like an advertising stunt to close the perceived value gap between the two devices. MS is not necessarily anticipating a lot of trade-ins, but rather this is meant to put people on the fence thinking that MS is the new new thing and in the same ballpark as the apple offering.

13. Orlandoech, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I'd do it, if it were ANY Boxster, Cayman, or even 911 model in exchange for a Ford GT40 Gulf Livery Edition... like the one I photographed on my website.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2016 ---
    Its Apples and Oranges dude.

14. vmistery, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016

vmistery macrumors 6502

Exactly, you ever seen a practical Porsche?! My point was although they do similar things at a base level they are two totally different products for different purposes.

15. windywalks macrumors 6502

I'd trade mine in... If it was ran over by an eighteen wheeler! :p

16. Exile714 macrumors 6502

A Ford... With SYNC (Powered by Microsoft)! Lol.

Maybe just lol if you've used SYNC. It's bad.

17. DogHouseDub macrumors regular

DogHouseDub

The insistence that the trade in be fully functionable and resellable supports your hypothesis.

18. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68000

OldSchoolMacGuy

Sell your great device for one that's more restrictive and does less.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

20. WarHeadz macrumors 6502

WarHeadz

Aww that's cute Microsoft. They'll fail in smart watches like they failed in smartphones. And I can't even really call this atrocity a watch. Keep working on that Hololens though, now THAT I'm looking forward to...

21. spazzcat macrumors 68000

spazzcat

Well if you are into tracking fitness it does a lot more.

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

At least that would be a car for car trade. This is more like a car for tricycle offer.
    Nonsense. True fitness requires an actual workout. No activity tracker, including the AW does a good job at that. If that is your goal you need a dedicated sports watch. Activity bands can be terrific motivators to get off the couch and help you get to the next level. But once you are there you need a real sports watch, not a fancy pedometer with a 1/2 assed optical HRM.

23. Kajje macrumors 6502

Kajje

So Microsoft considers that a 2015 technology, 2nd hand, possibly about a year old, used Apple Watch, is worth about the same as a 2016 technology, brand new, Microsoft Watch.

On the other hand, it will allow Microsoft employees enjoying a corporate sponsored Apple Watch, without it turning up in the official investment asset accounts.

24. gaximus macrumors 6502

The Heart rate monitor is actually very accurate and uses the same technology they use in hospital operating rooms. But I agree with the rest of you statement.

25. rtdunham macrumors 6502a

rtdunham

I do find some top level Porsches overpowered for my purposes. But I've got a Boxster and it's eminently practical. Powered top, comfortable and because it's mid-engined it has two trunks that set it apart from other roadsters and make it a perfect choice for road trips. I use it as an every day driver in rain, snow, what have you. But when you want it to be, it's an incredible driving and handling machine.
    So they do make some practical models. I'm just sayin'...