Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I just made the switch to mac this month and was looking at different software I could buy so I can access and send files which my friends can get. This seems to be the best (only i suppose) one and I was just wondering is Office 05' was coming out soon, so I should wait to get the newest one then?

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
greenguy4 said:
I just made the switch to mac this month and was looking at different software I could buy so I can access and send files which my friends can get. This seems to be the best (only i suppose) one and I was just wondering is Office 05' was coming out soon, so I should wait to get the newest one then?

no.. typically you don't get a office release every year.. office X was .. 2000 i think? and the newest was office 2004... 4 year seperation... maybe it was 2001 when office x came out.. but office 2004 JUST came out like last august or july... don't expect a new release for another year or two ... talk to your higher education institution.. i got office 2004 for the mac for $45... the school has a site license which gives me it at a much discounted price over the $150 retail version... otherwise.. http://www.academicsuperstore.com offers it for $130 or there abouts..

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004

greenguy4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
I wish i could get it for 45. I go to a private high school so we don't have anything like that there. However I am going to buy it from Amazon.com they have it for $132 and the AcademicSuperstore is $138. Thanks for your help!!

--MG

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
greenguy4 said:
I wish i could get it for 45. I go to a private high school so we don't have anything like that there. However I am going to buy it from Amazon.com they have it for $132 and the AcademicSuperstore is $138. Thanks for your help!!

--MG

man you people pay for MS office. I feel sorry for you. My school is among the mean that cut a deal with MS and lets us download it for free though the school. What really nice is it MS office 2k3 and 2k4 pro (depending on you plateform)

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
It would be nice to hear what schools are offering great deals like this. Some of might be able to use this as fuel to get our schools to do the same.

It is a pretty big list. Most of the large univeristy do it. I am at texas Tech and they do it (almost all of M$ stuff plus Sycmaitc coorpiate edation AVP)
I believe A&M and UT both do. I seen several other big name state schools surfing around there sites that do it.

Chances are if it is a big school they do it. You have to remember the schools are paying a several millon a year for the right to do it. Now they dont offer any apple software but apple not known to bother getting involved and cutting those deals with schools

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
It would be nice to hear what schools are offering great deals like this. Some of might be able to use this as fuel to get our schools to do the same.

University of Michigan... both Ann Arbor and Flint campuses are offering office 2004 and office 2003 for $45 and Windows XP for $15

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Timelessblur said:
It is a pretty big list. Most of the large univeristy do it. I am at texas Tech and they do it (almost all of M$ stuff plus Sycmaitc coorpiate edation AVP)
I believe A&M and UT both do. I seen several other big name state schools surfing around there sites that do it.

Chances are if it is a big school they do it. You have to remember the schools are paying a several millon a year for the right to do it. Now they dont offer any apple software but apple not known to bother getting involved and cutting those deals with schools

To my knowledge George Mason in VA does not, except for Norton Anti-virus for Windows.

niggiebro

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2003
City of Angels
Logik said:
University of Michigan... both Ann Arbor and Flint campuses are offering office 2004 and office 2003 for $45 and Windows XP for $15

Man that is really nice of them! Is it possible to place orders over they're web sites I wonder! :p

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
niggiebro said:
Man that is really nice of them! Is it possible to place orders over they're web sites I wonder! :p

the schools make sure that only students have the ability to have access to the stuff. Also they make sure the students can only buy one copy per students (as for downloading them from the school there is not a limit there.)

RealDeal

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2004
too many $ for the quality

i've been suckered into (guess) every 2nd OS or Office to pay for it (or get it at work).

Bottom line- it's never been "cut/n/paste ok with same suite (try a rich-text or table in Word and PowerPoint) or with other versions. Word "suited for small documents- more than a few and a "crash-monster"....

Open Office, or iWork (have ordered- coming soon) - are real alternatives. There's a bunch more open source as well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.