Microsoft Office '04

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrisleeroth, Jun 1, 2005.

1. chrisleeroth macrumors member

I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a way to do resumes through word. I know that it can be done on the PC version of office but I cannot find it on the mac version... Please Help!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Umm... I don't recommend you do a resume in Word. You want it to stand out, you don't want Microsoft written all over it. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure they took heaps of the templates out of 2004 but they were there in v.X which is weird.

Nevertheless, check this out. :)

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are doing a resume, not a magazine layout. If you don't know how to do a resume, examples are readily available darned near everywhere. There is quite a bit of advice--some of it contradictory--about how to format resumes. In format and content, your resume should be appropriate to the job you are seeking. If you are applying for a senior-level administrative or professional job, your resume can be quite extensive (long). If you are applying for an entry-level job, your resume should be no more than two pages, preferably one page. There is a trend toward forcing professionals to limit their resumes to two pages. However long your resume is, it should be readable. If it will be read by a person, it may be elegant but simply formatted. Absolutely no more than two fonts. Many entry-level resumes are scanned and filed electronically. In these cases, your resume should be formatted very simply in a single font. That is, it is little more than plain text--very little more.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Good advice by Mr. Me above. Just wanted to add that you should never format a resume in "landscape" mode. I've seen someone with a sideways resume like that at a job fair. Didn't get too much respect. After all, who wants to hire a goofball like that?

NOTE - I will ammend the above statement by saying that a landscape resume may be OK if you are looking for a job in a creative type industry.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Um....I use MS Word to make resumes, and I don't understand why its a bad idea. I don't use the templates, though. Why bother? Just do it all yourself!

Actually, I'm using the same CV that I made when I was 15-16 (I'm 24 now :D ), because I have no reason to update it. It doesn't look classic at all, but it does look cool to me. Cool, and different. It stands out, not like a clown at a funeral, but it does stand out.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah sorry, I should have clarified. Using the resume template is a bad idea. I do mine in Word too, it's just that I arrange the formatting myself. :D