Microsoft: Office 12 to be more in your face

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac-er, Sep 13, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050913/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_office

According to Microsoft, the newest version of MS Office 12 will automatically pop up the commands the system thinks you want based on whatever you are typing.

Isn't this what Clippy did? "It looks like your typing a letter."

Really, what, doesn't MS get? People don't want their computer to be in their face.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Oh, yeah, this looks like a disaster. This might finally get me to switch to iWork.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm sure there'll be a way of turning this off ... won't there?

Still using Office 2000 on my PC. This is another reason not to "upgrade".

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd love to see Microsoft slip up with it and Apple come in with a new version of iWork that is fast and useful.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It looks like you're about to type a post. Would you like some help with that?

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

It looks like you are typing anti-Microsoft sentiments. Would you like to be corrected *cough* (censored)? :p

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I used to work in a computer lab where preferences were reset every time you logged out. So though you could turn it off, the next time you logged in that damned paper clip would be back again, offering to help you with your memo for the 6 billionth time.

8. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Oh gods, that's exactly what M$ needs to be with Office - even more "in your face." I can think of a whole list of problems with this, but instead I'll make fun of Word a little more:

* It looks like you're typing a suicide note, do you want some help with that?

* It looks like you're typing classified government documents, do you want me to leak them onto the Internet using a Windows security flaw?

* It looks like you're almost finished with your thesis, do you want me to crash unexpectedly and delete your file?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm actually really happy with Office X. I'd like them to speed it up a bit, and that's about all. That's really just nitpicking though, it keeps up with me very well.

As for Office 2003, it'd be nice if the GUI fitted in with XP a bit more although I suppose that's a bit irrelevant considering Vista. Still, it's currently a bit cramped for my liking.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

:D

11. RobHague macrumors 6502

lol.

Imagine if it integrates with Windows Vista.

* It look's like your shopping online, would you like me to email your creditcard details to everyone in your address book?

* It look's like your trying to delete a file, should Windows Schedual to FORMAT the drive next reboot?

* It look's like you are going to shut down, are you sure you want to leave? Really? 100%? Can't change your mind?

* It look's like you are trying to open a program. Should Windows Crash (a) when you go to save (b) when you least expect it?

OMG worse... Vista having services yo 'pay' for...

* It look's like you are typing in your credit card details. You have just been signed up to a free 60 day trial of Microsoft's News Services, you're credit card will now be debited for the $100 administration charge.

12. Chimera macrumors 6502

Theres only one thing I want in a future version of Office and it's something that will never happen = debloat the whole thing, maybe it needs rewriting from the base up instead of continually piling new code on the old foundations.

13. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Microsoft honestly doesn't get it anymore. Who wants Word to automatically do ANYTHING for you. It's already a pain to turn off auto-formatting. I just this one of those "windows-only" features. ;) Ballmer is running the company into the ground.

14. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Link to screenshots

Wow! Microsoft has singlehandedly created the most confusing user interface I've ever seen. You know what the best part is? People like my parents who still use 800x600 resolution will only probably get 1 inch of document space to actually type in :p

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Oh dear. :(

There must be a tunnel between the Redmond School for the Visually Impaired and the Microsoft Office GUI Department. Sorry to all the blind people this offends.

16. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

Isn't this what Clippy did? "It looks like your typing a letter."

the seven most annoying words ever :mad:, when using MS office on windows. made me want to tear my hair out writing formal letters and the such. whoever designed that little paperclip should be bent into the shape of one.

:D

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

oh wow- had no idea it would be THAT bad... thanks for the link...

sheesh

18. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

* It looks like your trying to use Bold in your document. Bold is a Microfost Vista Ultimate only feature. Would you like to upgrade? Ye$ / No *

19. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

This is fun.

*It looks like you are trying to order a Mac, let me shut down the computer.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Brushed metal, except it's ugly.

*It looks like you are commenting on how we ripped off Apple again, your name and address has been submitted to the Microsoft Loyalty Enforcement team and they will be at your house to kill you in 3....2....1....0

21. RobHague macrumors 6502

lol someone should make a 'It look's like' clippy thread ;)

Thanks for the link too, didnt realise it was even that far. My first thoughts though were "What the hell is that?". I think MS are running low on idea's... its all about the colour of the menu bars now :D

22. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Hehe!!! ;)

My God, could those toolbars be any bigger and take up any more screen space? People are used to the normal file, edit etc, this is just confusing. Yes they look like they have nice big clear icons and pictures, (pictures are always good! :) .) but in tolerance levels and used appropriately!!

FrontPage doesn't look much different. I liked the new Outlook 2003 layout. I'm a big fan of Outlook and thought that they did a pretty good job with it, seemed more pleasent to use, but this one seems a little "out there!" I guess they probably won't be the final looks though.

23. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

It looks like they are trying to the the floating Window in the Mac version of Word/Office and trying to apply it in a Windows-style menu bar.

24. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

And get some fancy visuals with that transparency!!

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Clippy sez, "It looks like you are about get up to take a pee. Would you like me to hold..."

Nah... They'd never do that.

Would they? :eek: