Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josta

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
Hi everyone,
I would like to buy a copy of office for mac off ebay. As long as it says "fully licensed" its a legal copy, right? I really don't want to buy pirated software, at the same time I would like to find it at a discount. I plan on buying new software when Office goes binary next year. But, I'm hoping not to spend a bunch of money on all my software now, then turn around a spend a ton next year! I'm converting from PC to mac, so there is a lot of software to look at! :eek:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It depends on whether the seller is honest or not. Do your best to find someone who looks like an honest seller and isn't a hijacked account. Unfortunately, there are lots of scammers out there on eBay, particularly when it comes to computer related stuff.

josta

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
It depends on whether the seller is honest or not. Do your best to find someone who looks like an honest seller and isn't a hijacked account. Unfortunately, there are lots of scammers out there on eBay, particularly when it comes to computer related stuff.

How can I tell an honest account? Looks fairly new, mostely software (at decent prices, no 2 cent software sales) and one feedback said the buyer verified with microsoft that it was a legit copy...that all sounds legit, right?
I hate that its so easy to get scammed on ebay these days... :rolleyes:

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
How can I tell an honest account? Looks fairly new, mostely software (at decent prices, no 2 cent software sales) and one feedback said the buyer verified with microsoft that it was a legit copy...that all sounds legit, right?

Be sure to pay with PayPal. If you do get scammed, they will help.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

Tough to tell from that info...only one feedback is not a good sign at all. It's easy to have a co-conspirator post that to make people think the seller is honest.

Things to look for...a long history with a lot of good feedback. If it's a longtime member who had few or no sales until very recently (or if their sales used to be entirely baseball cards and they're no selling only software), there's a good chance it's a hijacked account.

While some are obvious scams, some are harder to tell. If you don't want to post the link to the actual auction for fear that people will bid it up or someone will grab it before you, feel free to PM me the auction link and I'll let you know what my thoughts are on it. I already have Office, so I have no desire to pull this out from under you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.