MicroSoft Office 2004

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tuned MP5, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Tuned MP5 macrumors newbie

Tuned MP5

What's the difference between the Standard Edition and Student/ Teacher Edition? Is it only that with the Standard you can compare reports? I know you get the Scrapbook and Project Center (what exactly are those programs?)

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't think the Student/Teacher version can be upgraded

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

The Student and Teacher edition cannot be upgraded and it is only for consumer use not professional use, and you obviously have to be eligible to recieve the discount. Also the Student/Teacher version comes with three licenses so it can be installed on up to three computers in one household

4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I'm pretty sure that all the features of the Student\Teacher edition are the same as the standard version. The only differences are in licensing\upgrading as already mentioned, not in the actual functionality of Office.

5. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Contents are the same. Its the license that is different. The full version allows upgrades, the student teacher does not.

For a typical home user, no one would ever know if you bought the student edition - often available online with no special proof. Its the corporate users MS would go after.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've never heard of Microsoft checking up on student/teacher editions to make sure the buyer is legit. In this instance they put you on the honor system--probably because as long as you're using their file formats they're happy.

But who cares if you can't upgrade the student version? Whose ever needed an upgrade to MS Office? It's the same stuff for the last 10 years. It should be like the Doc Martens I bought 13 years ago-I haven't worn them out yet so I still wear them.

7. Tuned MP5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tuned MP5

8. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

or whatever..... I've noticed if you bought all versions of the "student teacher" product every time they came out, you'd still be better off $$moneywise$$ then if you bought one and upgraded each time. The student teacher product is usually cheaper than the upgrade.

Im not a student so I bought Office X standard and see no reason to upgrade at this time for the amount of money they want for the upgrade (just a home user).

9. Zaty macrumors 65816

Well, since so many people just copy software CDs these days, it's still better for MS to sell Student & Teacher edition to people who are not eligible than not selling a copy of Office at all.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Office has never been updated on the same platform in consecutive years.

Office 95-Windows
    Office 97-Windows
    Office 98-Mac
    Office 2000-Windows
    Office 2001-Mac
    Office XP-Windows
    Office v.X-Mac
    Office 2003-Windows
    Office 2004-Mac

Get the picture?