Microsoft Office 2007

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AvSRoCkCO1067, May 1, 2006.

1. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Being a student, the upcoming release of Office has actually caught my attention.

In fact, I hesitated before purchasing my MacBook Pro because I thought I would be unable to run Office 2007 (and, of course, Windows Vista...)

Now with Bootcamp out, my interest in Office 2007 has again returned. The concept behind the new User Interface is pretty solid; the "ribbon" sounds pretty cool.

Until I saw this screenshot, released today...

http://officeblogs.net/UI/WordVista.png

Isn't that...ugly? What are your thoughts?

2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The next Office is coming out for MacOS too... out of curiosity, why do you want to run it in Vista?

EDIT: Somehow, I find the palettes much more appealing than this, though... :(

4. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Can't say that I'll have a use for it. I'll be rid of my loaner Dell from work by June when I'll have all the money saved for an MBP. But as a PC user I've been content with Office 2003. It's been great for all my presentations and document editing needs.

And nope not ugly. Not a beautiful presentation but by no means ugly.

5. AvSRoCkCO1067 thread starter macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I'm not quite sure if the next office for Mac OS is going to have the ribbon. Honestly, though, it probably will. The Ribbon is something that I'm all for; it's just, the ascetics of the program don't mesh well with Vista, that's all.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I hope the MacBU has some input ... I think they do pretty good work on Office -- I love 2004.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I wouldn't say it's "ugly" as much as it is "different". Word has had the same look/menus/locations of things forever. I guess they felt that they needed a change to match all those awesome changes in Vista.

8. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

I'm not impressed with there design. I have loaded the lastest vista beta (2006 release) and ie7's buttons look like crap. They seem to have a blur on them as well as chopped images not round like mac os windows on top corners. Microsoft can spend more money then apple on there os, yet it still looks, acts and runs like poo.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't get what I'm looking at in that screenshot. It looks like a super ugly new design of what MS Word generally always had.

10. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I could've sworn a Mac employee told me the next version Office was going to be completely universal, every copy working on Intel Mac and PC. He called it either "Office X" or "Office 12." I think it was Office 12.

But I've been trying to force myself to use Pages lately anyway.

Daniel.

11. AvSRoCkCO1067 thread starter macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

The next office, for macs, is universal; but that means it'll run on Power PC architecture as well as Intel architecture - both on Mac OS X...there will be different versions between the Windows and Mac computers, however.

Oh, by the way, the codename for the next Office for Windows was Office 12; it will, however, be officially called "Office 2007"

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Office 12 will be a simultaneous release for both PC and Mac. It's supposed to be the first release achieving feature parity between the Mac and Windows versions.

Currently Office:mac 2004 is, in my opinion, a superior version to Office 2003 for Windows.

13. AvSRoCkCO1067 thread starter macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

oooo!!! That's cool.

link?

14. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I have Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows XP and you can change the color scheme to blue rather than black. It looks very cool, and when you hover over the buttons, it has a fading highlight effect. It is eye-candy all the way.

All Office programs use that new layout.

It pays to have developer connections. :)

15. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

As much as id like to agree with you on this, i cant...

Entourage falls far short of Outlook in many aspects.... :eek:

if there is feature parity in the next release i will be a happy man!

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd love to agree, but unfortunately its VBA support is lacking. I had many Excel XP spreadsheets that required recoding to work in 2004 :(

17. jdechko macrumors 68040

It almost looks like the ribbon is just the pallets from Office 2004 compressed down and put in a horizontal fashion. Kinda like Microsoft Office unit stealing from the MBU... they're so bad, the even copy from themselves! :eek: (J/K)

18. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Anybody know why they didn't put Access in Office for Mac 2004? I personally hate the program, but I had to actually go into the lab and run it on a Winblows for my Info. Tech. class.

Daniel.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My guess is that, since it relies so heavily on Visual Basic and ActiveX / .NET / whatever, it would easily be the hardest application to port from Windows to OS X. In order for Access to work, you would need to port over tons of APIs.... It would be almost (but granted, not quite quite) like MS undertaking to create WINE.

20. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

They need to include Access with the next Mac Office. Even if it requires more work on their part. (They seem spend way to much time with minor changes to MSN Messager). Also merge the features of Entourage and Outlook and call it the same for both platforms. I have mixed feelings about VBA because it seems to be more of a virus writing and distribution tool than something to help me. I love the language and I have done some cool stuff that saved me time.

21. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I agree that Word, Excel and Powerpoint were better, Entourage isn't popular and too many Windows version apps are missing.

If the two product lines are apparently merging, does this mean support for 3D transitions within the Windows version of Powerpoint, (thus allowing true cross platform presentations again)? Hopefully the versions will be the same and the professional version for Mac is packed with Access et al, (not that I personally would use Access, Publisher, Frontpage etc), and perhaps they could remove VPC to allow price parity between the two again. If VPC was offered as a seperate app only, sales would bottom out though and people would rather buy Windows and Boot Camp, so I see Microsoft keeping it within Office Pro and, assuming they do add all the other apps from the Windows version, just charge more thus adding to the impression Macs cost more.

Either way, let's just hope any Mac versions of Office 12 resemble 11 otherwise this is one Mac Owner which will be more than happy to stick with 11.

22. FireArse macrumors 6502a

what I miss on a mac

I miss MS Visio and MS Project (or whatever its called with the Gantt Chart) There are Mac apps that kinda do the same thing - but just not as developed.

F

23. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Do you have a linky for that?

24. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

That is actually so cool! Been playing with Office 2007 and it grows on you very quickly. The thing that I was worried about was the new formats it introduces and if Mac users would be left out in the cold. If both versions are released at the same time then Im not worried.

25. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Ditto. With them and Frontpage in Mac Office 2007 I'd be set - as it is it looks like I'll be running my MBP with XP when at work. Can't do without those apps!