Microsoft Office and Me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trump, Jan 4, 2005.

1. trump macrumors newbie

well, I just made the switch and now I need to get Microsoft Office. The problem is, that I can't afford Office (not even Student Edition) and I'm wondering where I could obtain it. I checked eBay, don't trust it, and I don't know anyone with a Mac and Office...so I can't borrow it. SuprNova is gone now and I have no idea where to get torrents anymore, so am I basically screwed?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Talking about piracy in these here forums? Yes, you are SCREWED.

[​IMG]

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Well, bittorrent and borrowing are illegal, so yeah you have to buy it. Assuming you are a student, check with your school to see if they have a deal with ms. I know some schools where their students get a 1 year licence for very cheap (even cheaper than the normal student deal).

If you do use ebay, look for a seller that has a good rating and take the chance.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

try openoffice. oh, use google! it's not quite as good and feels a bit like office 2000 imho, but it's free and 100% compatible with office.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you could go with openoffice, or neooffice they both are compatible and free, another option would be to find a copy of Office X rather than 2004 so you can get it a bit cheaper, im afraid ebay is probably your best bet, or post a thread in the classifieds letting people know that you are looking for Office X and see what you get in terms of offers

6. trump thread starter macrumors newbie

isn't this the forum with the massive Suprnova threads?

but as for OpenOffice, thats looking pretty good...at least until I can afford MS Office

7. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Maybe you're confused with tracker.torrentskickass.com?

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I always come over as pompus when I say things like this but...you can't afford it?

I just can't see why not, you can earn enough to buy office student edition working a long-day Sunday in virtually any job (I get 1.6x pay Sundays, most people I know get 2x). So just work one day of a weekend in your life stacking shelves or whatever and you get...Office 2004 for life. The feeling of earning it rather than stealing is well worth it, and it will make the day of boring work go faster.

AppleMatt

9. trump thread starter macrumors newbie

I make the same on Sundays as I do on any other day (minimum wage) and I already decided to save and buy...just gonna be a while. It will actually be about 2.5 weeks of work to earn enough....

10. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

The you'll appreciate it 2.5x more than I did when I bought my copy :)

AppleMatt

11. trump thread starter macrumors newbie

haha well played, well played indeed

12. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Did you know you can open Word documents in Apple's TextEdit?

Also, isn't this site MacRumors?!? Rumor has it that Apple is about to release a word processor or hopefully perhaps a whole Office suite in one week.
    http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/12/20041231175830.shtml

Just wait until next Tuesday and see.

P.S. I am dying for Apple to free me from the utter crap that is MS Office.

13. James L macrumors 6502a

An alternative would be ok, but Apple competing with MS Office to the point where MS may consider discontinuing it would be one of the dumbest things Apple could do.

14. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

m$ makes a hell of a lot of money from Office for the Mac, and the MBU(?) at m$ makes a lot of money, too. It would take a lot for them to completely dump the Mac.

I read somewhere that Office for the Mac has a higher market share then on the PC :eek:

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are basically correct. Microsoft is not a charity. The Mac market is very profitable for the Redmond monopoly.

16. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Yeah, I used to think that, but I also think it is high time that crapware be killed a nasty death. Who could possibly need a word processor for which people write 900 page instruction books?

If you may recall... Lotus 1-2-3 and WordPerfect were undisputed champions of spreadsheets and word processing in their day. MS killed them off... there's always a chance they could get a taste of their own medicine.

17. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Interesting. I'd guess that's because MS Works comes preloaded on a lot of PCs, and most people don't bother to upgrade. Macs don't have something equivalent.

18. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Besides, MS needs to keep it's product widely available, lest a competitor come along. As Macs seem to increase in popularity (even slowly), and competing package is a bigger threat. If Apple (or a 3d party) came along with a viable competing product, it could eventually grow. While I'm sure MS's 95% market share is pretty safe for a while, they don't seem to like shares below 90%.

19. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Well... technically Macs do come with Appleworks (if that can be said to be functinal).

I think the numbers show that Mac users are simply much bigger software buyers. The average Mac user both uses and pays for more software than the average PC user.

20. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Appleworks is functional for word processing and day to day tasks I think. In an m$ Offce world though, forget about it. AW just doesn't cut the mustard.

Someone a while ago said that only the iBooks and iMacs come with AW preinstalled, that the PBs, and PowerMacs don't. Is that blatantly untrue?

21. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Well, for that matter, MS Works is awful as well. Nor is it all that highly compatible with Office. MS never misses an opportunity to make something awful that encourages one to spend more money on another MS product....

I think that's right. AppleWorks is considered a consumer application, and PowerMacs and PowerBooks are pro lines.

No AppleWorks listed under "Software" here:
    http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html
    http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

But it is listed here:
    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html
    http://www.apple.com/emac/specs.html
    http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html