Microsoft Office and student discount question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by adiliegro, Oct 1, 2004.

1. adiliegro macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2004
    Im a student...not a traditional student, but an adult student going to a technical college. How does Microsoft verify that I am a student with the discount for the student version? Does anyone know?
  2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    They don't. The student/teacher edition is sold on the shelves of stores, and there is no real verification process. I'm pretty sure you can just go to the Apple Store (or anywhere else) and just buy it, no questions asked.

I assume you have some sort of student ID, right? If a cashier even bothered to ask, you could just show it, and that would be that.
  3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I bought this for my wife @ Apple store no questions asked. Also during install program doesn't ask anythinkg.
  4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    Your best option is to go through your school and see if they have discounts on software. At the college I attend, the computer store sell Microsoft Office: Student Teacher Edition for $65 (the same price for the Mac edition also. sweet :D ). All I has to do was show a school id and copy of my schedule. This deal is for both traditional and nontraditional students.
  5. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    Yes do check you school. For example at my school I can download Mircosoft office Pro for free and get a disk for 5 bucks (basicly the most expiseve verson of MS office you can get).
  6. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I have never had anyone actually check. I never heard anything from Apple either when I got my BTO Powerbook from them with the education discount.
  7. jestershinra macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2004
    Microsoft doesn't check. ever. They don't care. In fact, most stores only stock the edu versions because othrs are hundreds of dollars.

Apple, OTOH, cares. You can order online without verifying anything, but they peridoically do 'internal audits'. I don't know much about them, but I think if they find you aren't (or weren't) qualified, they won't sell to you w/ the discount anymore.

Timelessblur, what school do you go to?? I paid over $300 for the PC version of MSOffice 2k3.
  8. Jekyll macrumors newbie

Feb 26, 2004
    Drexel in Philadelphia has a campus agreement from Microsoft that allows their students to use MS Office 2003/2004/XP Pro for the duration of their agreement (which is renewed every year) or for the duration of your association with the school. The best part is that upon graduation, as long as the agreement is active, the license transfers into a perpetual license (as in you own a valid license of the software). You can grab a CD from the library or download it off the resnet, all 3 versions.

I'd definitly look into seeing if your school offers something like this - get the most out of that tuition check, heh.
  9. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    Check your schools bookstore first. My school also has an agreement with MS. My bookstore sells XP, Office XP, and Office X 2004 for $10 each. My school also has an agreement with Apple so i get good discounts on Software and Computers, or anything Apple makes.