Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I do agree with you as far as the text processor goes. Word and many of it's imitations like Pages, Writer all have wrong foundation as far as the laying out the text on the page. They all default to typewriter flow which doesn't make any sense in 21st century. Text should be in a text boxes with free layout and placement like in Quark or InDesign.

Quark and InDesign are desktop publishers, not Word Processors. One's for a newsletter, the other's for a document

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
It's about time. MS was foolish to take this long to release this.

Now, whether it works and integrates with its PC counterparts as we (Office users who like it) expect it to remains to be seen.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Quark and InDesign are desktop publishers, not Word Processors. One's for a newsletter, the other's for a document

Used to be like twenty years ago, today those terms are interchangeable. Most people who use Word do use it to design the layout as well and not just plain sheet document. How many times I've seen people struggle in Word to make a proper letterhead or resume cause letterheads of good old days are not gonna cut it anymore.

Time to step up was due almost ten years ago.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Used to be like twenty years ago, today those terms are interchangeable. Most people who use Word do use it to design the layout as well and not just plain sheet document. How many times I've seen people struggle in Word to make a proper letterhead or resume cause letterheads of good old days are not gonna cut it anymore.

Time to step up was due almost ten years ago.

I don't know, I still see different use cases. Most people that use Word are trying to create a standard document, not a brochure or newsletter. When I type up a 30 page report I don't need to manually place multiple text boxes on every page.

And MS has an app called Publisher that does the same thing as Quark and InDesign.

oldpos

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2014
Devonport, Tasmania
On my iMac desktop I use Office Prof 2013 via Parallels, also Office for Mac 2011, Numbers and Pages. On my iPad Air I have been using Numbers and Pages. They all good programs, but you need to be selective for the job at hand. Now for my query:

When someone offers a solution that works where it counts in the areas that count then MS Office won't be on top.

MS Excel is great for downloading my share data from the stock exchange by simply pressing a button using VBA. I'd dearly love to completely convert to just using Numbers to do this. I may be missing something here but Digital Skunk could you please enlighten me how Number could do this or is the MS product superior for this task?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Well that's nice of it isn't it... I imagine it's been rather lonely being the only reason someone would be silly enough to buy a surface!
That is certainly your opinion. And if your use case cannot benefit from the things that the Surface 2 can do that the iPad can't then it WOULD be silly to buy a Surface.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
If this really is going to require an office 365 subscription, then I don't see it doing as well as they might expect. That subscription is a ripoff.

I agree. Hopefully they will go the way of one note and pleasantly surprise us. I think they should offer it for free at first IF they are going to do a subscription model, otherwise a low price tag would help. If it's a 365 model or a high price to buy, I'll stick with pages on the iPad.

Aug 19, 2008
out of curiosity what apple products do you rely on and who was responsible for the bad and down time?

Mac Pros, Mac Minis, iMacs, MBPs, iPhones, iPads and now iWork (so yeah, the whole thing now).

Ditched the Microsoft domain/exchange server and Office too, replaced all PCs (that were still on WinXP BTW) by Macs or even by iPads in some cases... and guess what? We don't really need IT guy every week to fix broken things.

For what most of people do with Word and Excel, there's no doubt Pages and Number are more than enough capable for them. I personally prefer when worker do and deliver their work instead to learn some office applications. They're not paid to become the best office secretary in the world.

My 2 cents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.