Microsoft Office for Mac update screwed up my Macbook. HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Racktacular, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Racktacular macrumors regular

I need serious help. So bare with my story, it isn't very long.

So everything was fine until the other day when one of the automatic updates for Mac Office came up. It was a legit (at least it looked legit) Apple update. So I downloaded it. The next time I used my MacBook (2 days) later, I was 'surfing the net' and a message came up that said (in like 5 different languages) that my Mac needs to be restarted and to hold down the power button for 5 seconds. So I did that and on startup the message came on again. I restarted and it came on again. I was like WTF! So I took out the battery and put it back in and it started up fine. Phew! I thought. So I tried to open up Word from the dock and it wouldn't open. Tried again. Nothing. Opened applications and tried from there. Still nothing. Tried Excel. Nope. Powerpoint. Nada. Basically every program that is in Microsoft Office won't open (though my other programs do). So I thought that if I shutdown and started back up, it may work. So I did. On startup it hung on a blank blue screen. Restarted and it loaded up fine. Tried to open Word and instead of nothing happening, I get a error message that says:

"APPLICATION LAUNCH FAILURE"

The application "Word" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "<Microsoft Word><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_SpeechRecognition><>"

What am I supposed to do now? What can I do? Please help.

TIA!

- Rack

2. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

So right after I posted this thread, my Firefox quit unexpectedly. Had to reload everything. What is happening?

3. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Delete everything microsoft off your computer, then just reinstall everything. That should take care of it.

Also, repair permissions.

4. amoda macrumors 6502a

I can't help you here sorry. But are you sure it was the word update? I also installed it and everything seems to be running the same. Have you installed anything else recently? Or install new ram?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i too had tried updating office with the updates from microsoft. it made it so my apps would not open. i fixed it by just deleting office and reinstalling it

6. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

If you delete it and reinstall it, does that take away one of the installs from the CD? The CD comes with 3 installs. I only have 1 left and wanted to save it for an install in an iMac later this summer.

7. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

What kind of Office CD do you have that only allows 3 installs?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I dont think so.

I'm assuming the student version

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

No, just use the same serial you used in the first place.

And just in case you didn't realize, before you install or re-install MS Office '04, you've got to make sure to completely delete the MS Office trial. That trial will not allow the actual suite to install properly.

10. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I deleted Office from my Mac including the AU deamon. I put the Office 2004 CD into the drive to reinstall it. And I get this error:

Application Launch Failure: The application "Office Setup Assisstant" could not be launched because of a shared library error: "<office setup assisstant><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_SpeechRecognition><>"

WTF!

Help?

11. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Just to help other people out, this was caused by a bug or a corrupted file on the Auto Update. Deleting the programs and reinstalling didn't help. After I deleted the programs, the bug was still there and it actually wouldn't let me reinstall at all.

What I did was reinstall the entire OS X. That fixed it. It saved all my programs and drivers, but it was a pain in the ass. But it did work. Hope that helps someone, with the same problem.