Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemolitor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I'm having trouble installing MS Office 2004 on my new macbook pro. When I click on the setup assistant it says that MS Office is 'not supported' on this platform. When I try the drag-and-drop install method, it tells me it can't access my '.DSStore' and stops copying. I have used the same install CD to install on an intel mac book, but no luck with my new mac book pro.

Anyone else having this issues? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Steve

iDive

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
I've installed Office 2004 on my new SR MBP half an hour ago with no problems...

mainomega

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Before trying to install Office I read about all the problems with the uninstall process. Both times (17" 2.33and 2.4) I made sure every trace of the trial was gone and then I installed Office. There is a tool included with Office that should help remove all traces, use that and start again.

stevemolitor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Before trying to install Office I read about all the problems with the uninstall process. Both times (17" 2.33and 2.4) I made sure every trace of the trial was gone and then I installed Office. There is a tool included with Office that should help remove all traces, use that and start again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that; still no luck. I never installed the test drive, but I removed the demo folder and emptied my trash; still no luck. :(

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Steve - are you installing Office for Mac on OS X or are you installing MS Office to run under Bootcamp / Parallel / ?

I have Office for Mac running on my MBP 15" 2.33 and many other Macs w/o any problems.

stevemolitor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
Steve - are you installing Office for Mac on OS X or are you installing MS Office to run under Bootcamp / Parallel / ?

I have Office for Mac running on my MBP 15" 2.33 and many other Macs w/o any problems.

I'm trying to install Office for Mac on my MBP 15" 2.4. It installed just fine on my MB 2.0 gighz (intel) and older powerbooks. It is an older install CD.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
steve - just a thought. You could re-install your OS via the dvd and select the custom install where the MS Office trial is NOT even installed to begin with. That allows you to also de-select drivers and other stuff you will probably not use. Then run repair disk permissions from disk utility. Then try to install MS Office again - may work - may not.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Make sure you've got no remnants of Office installed anywhere on your system. Even though the disc won't allow you to drag Office to the Applications folder, can you drag it from the CD to the Desktop or some other folder? Hopefully reinstalling OSX won't be necessary. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.