Microsoft Office not printin documents to my laswer printer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 0 and A ai, Aug 5, 2004.

1. 0 and A ai macrumors regular

My powerbooks HD died last week and got it replaced at the apple store. I don't have my office disk because My brother has them. To work with my backup files I instaled Office test drive. Unfortunately it doesn't let you print but I wasn't worried. I sent it to other ocmputers in the office and none of them let you print to the laser printer. I guess MSFT puts a lock on th files. not even saving as pdf works to print. Amazingly i can print to the inkjet. and prnting other files to the laser does work. Now apparenlty all of my backup documents have been marked as well and cannot print.

I didn't think this would work but i dragged and ropped my backup office folder into applications. it worked new documents print and the its fully functional. HOWEVER my old documents still do not print. what can i do. I figure i can bring back my documents from back up again and tehy will work but i'd like to avoid doing that. And i'd like to be able to print the new documents i was working on.

I tried erasing prefs and whatnot but Not sure where they all are for office.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I won't be able to get office from my brother until next week! I don't want to drop 400 bucks for office again.

using office x in os x not the new one that just came out.

2. mac_gal macrumors member

Okay, first off: if you can spell / type decently and use regular capitalization, it will be a lot easier to understand your question.

As a matter of fact, I'm not sure I even understand your question.

Why can't you cut the contents of a file and paste into a non-Word application? You can try Textedit or Open Office (www.openoffice.org, free).

3. 0 and A ai thread starter macrumors regular

If I copy and paste into a new word document the same problem arises. if i copy and paste into text edit i lose the formatting and the excel tables and graphs.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Well, I suppose you could tell your brother to pony up the $400 for Office X that he's been getting for free so far.

Can you put the un-opened files on a disk/CD and move them to another computer manually? If MS applies a lock to the files, I would avoid opening them in the test-drive version.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

My suggestion would be to open the files in your functional (full) version of Office, and then do a Save As... and save them as new files (or PDFs). Then open the files you just created and try printing again. Or, just copy and paste the text out, as suggested above.

And there's no reason to reinstall Office, if your backup copy works, everything is fine... Don't go deleting preference files, I doubt that will help at all. It might actually screw you up.

edit: i'm confused, you got a full version of Office from your backup, right? Copied it to your Applications folder?

paul

6. 0 and A ai thread starter macrumors regular

yeah its the full version it works fine but the files i made under the test drive will not print. Copy and pasting into new document will also not print. saving as pdf and printing will not print. Save document as will not print.

its about 10 files i need and i don't want to have to do the formating for them all over. It the files were for me just to keep it woulnd't be a problem but since they will be sent out to clients and whatnot its an issue. I guess I will have to open the files in text edit and then copy and paste from there into word and do the formatting all over again as a last resort.