Microsoft Office Unstable

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CoMpX, Mar 7, 2006.

1. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I have Microsoft office 2004 for Mac on my iBook and it is very unreliable. I believe that Office is the best office suite, even if it is made by Microsoft. :rolleyes: However, I have noticed Word and Excel crashing constantly, sometimes locking up the entire system. In word, it will crash when I do something like press return to skip to the next line. When I relaunch it, Word crashes again when I perform that same action. Excel crashes using the Visual Basic editor. Is this a corruption problem or is it something more? I really need to get this stuff working reliably, it's for school

Thanks everyone for your time.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

This is not normal behaviour for Office.. I would completely delete it, including the preference files and Application support files in your Libraries, and then reinstall it from the original CDs.

3. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Something similar happened to me when I first installed Office X. It was very unreliable.
    The way I fixed it was to resolve all the duplicate fonts. It may not work for you, but worth trying before you reinstall Office.
    (Edit: and after you reinstall)

Good luck

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

"resolve all duplicate fonts"?

don't you mean remove?

If that doesn't work, then I'd say remove and re-install.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Also, there's a known issue with DivX, 3ivX and Flip4Mac all being installed on the same system with Office. If you remove either the first two or the last app then Office may start working properly. In other words, you can have the combination of DivX and 3ivX or you can have Flip4Mac. :)

6. CoMpX thread starter macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Well I deleted EVERYTHING which took me a while to get all of the files, and I'm reinstalling now. I'll let you know tomorrow after I can test it.