Microsoft Office vs Appleworks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChazLM, Feb 22, 2005.

1. ChazLM macrumors newbie

ChazLM

I've been pc/office. I'm switching to an apple powerbook and want to know if it's worth paying for microsoft office. Is Appleworks a comparable product? I won't be using it for business, mainly letters w/ pictures. Is the spreadsheet capability of Appleworks close to Excel? I do like using macros to preform tasks in Excel.

Thanks for your feedback! :confused:

Chaz

2. dcollierp macrumors member

Appleworks does not come on the new powerbooks. Before you spend money on Appleworks, which by the way does not hold a candle to MS Office, try NeoOffice/J. It's open source and is very similar to MS Office for Windows (think Office 98). http://www.neooffice.org/

3. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Eventhough I have a PB, I only use Office and BARELY touch appleworks. In the scientific field, almost everyone uses office, and thus, it's difficult to transfer documents, data, etc using appleworks w/ other scientist.

And as dcollierp pointed out, it's not free.

My recommendation is to get the office.

4. unfaded macrumors 6502

As said above, Office. Until iWork gets a spreadsheet, it's the only thing to use, in my opinion.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Office is the best. Better than the once for Windows, even. It's nice. Appleworks.... well, sucks.

No idea about iWork yet.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

office. appleworks doesnt even get off the grid.

and it's better than the windoze version too which is cool :rolleyes:

7. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

Well, if you really do stick to just letters w/pictures, Appleworks should be fine.

But, if you do anything except the most very basic spreadsheet functions, you should go with Office. I agree with those above: the Appleworks spreadsheet is pathetic.