Microsoft Office (word) problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brsboarder, Mar 27, 2005.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2004
    Ok, so, i've been using microsoft word now, for awhile, version 2004. I'm not sure if this is something new, or what, but I'm on my 12in ibook and whenever I open a document/start a new one, the zoom is horrible. Its in a format where the document is centered in the middle of office, which doesnt cover the screen and in office has 3in of blue on each side w/ nothing in them. To correct this, I go to zoom, page width, but Im sick and tired of doing that every time, any ideas how to fix this problem?
  2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Try changing your preferences. There might be a way to set your default view there.

See, what that view is, is how it will look when you print the document. You can increase the zoom so it looks a bit larger and better.... but anywhoo...

Preferences first. There might be something there for you.
  3. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    I would also like to find a solution for this...if anyone knows how to set the default zoom in Word 2004, please let us know!

EDIT: I've scoured the preferences on numerous occasions, and I have yet to come across anything that remotely looks like it would help. It seems that the zoom is preserved within each individual document, not one setting for all documents.
  4. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I know what you mean. Though I've never really sought out how to do this, I searched "startup document" in Word Help. This is what I found. You can read more there:

The Normal template

The Normal template is a general-purpose template for any type of document. When you start Word or click New , Word creates a new blank document that is based on the Normal template. You can modify this template to change the default document formatting or content.

Word also uses the Normal template to store the AutoText entries, macros, toolbars, custom menu settings, and shortcut keys that you routinely use. Customized items that you store in the Normal template are available for use with any document.

The Normal template is stored in /Users/<your user name>/Documents/Microsoft User Data. If Word can't find the Normal template in this location, it creates a new Normal template in this location that contains the standard Word document formats and the standard menu, toolbar, and shortcut key settings.
  5. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2004
    I've been trying to mess around w/ whatever options microsoft allows and havent been able to come away with a solution, fi anyone has found a result, post it!