Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
According to an industry source who has seen the thing and calls it "very cool," Origami is one and the same with this ultraportable "lifestyle PC" we were talking about here earlier today. This source is under NDA, an honest fellow and unwilling to share more than his help connecting the dots.

Earlier this month, the author of a blog called Engadget described the device this way: "According to at least one report, Bill Mitchell, Corporate Vice President of the Mobile Platform Division, showed a slide that outlined specs for the new PC category, including that it be wearable, always on, no larger than 10-inches, connected through 3G networks, pen-based, and have a suggested retail price of $500 or less. … One notable spec that could differentiate this one: Microsoft is apparently insisting that this run the full version of Windows."

The Origami Project Web site promises there will be news March 2.

http://www.origamiproject.com/1

I posted this to one of the iPod video threads, but think it might deserve its own thread. Looks like MS is scheduled to announce this "Lifestyle PC" next week a few days after the Apple announcement.

It sounds too big, and is claimed to run the full version of Windows, but it may actually be something that could give a video iPod or an OS X tablet a run for its money...

B

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
wait, on the intro thingy, under 'and where can it go', it lists a shot from the apple beach screen saver. wow. i would know. that screen saver is what reminds me to get through the winter.

EDIT: didn't MS use an ACD in its internet explorer web site? I smell a conspiracy :rolleyes:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
yankeefan24 said:
wait, on the intro thingy, under 'and where can it go', it lists a shot from the apple beach screen saver. wow. i would know. that screen saver is what reminds me to get through the winter.

EDIT: didn't MS use an ACD in its internet explorer web site? I smell a conspiracy :rolleyes:
They're probably just stock images from Corbis. Bill Gates' "other" company.

No conspiracy there ;) just move along.

B

kahos

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2005
That's a pretty interesting video... looks like we'll have to wait until thursday to get more details.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Too big to go everywhere. Too small to replace my laptop. My Ipaq 4700 is pretty much what I want in terms of form factor for a mini tablet.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
The iPod as gained so much popularity that I don't think it matters what any company brings out, I think that the iPod will retain its market share in the digital media player catagory. However, this device looks like it will rule the "PDA" market. This is why it is time Apple comes out with another Newton like device.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
an origami-like device (or at least what i imagine it to be) is exactly what i've always wanted out of a portable. up to this point the best i could do was to get the smallest apple laptop i could, the 12" PowerBook. but even the PowerBook has been overkill for my portable needs. it is not my main machine, been using a dual G5 at home for real work. what i need is something for when i am on the road and running around town to see clients. i don't want a "smart phone" and i don't want a PDA. i want an ultra portable something that can run OS X, with a decent enough screen and a QWERTY keyboard (touchscreen is ok with me). no optical drive. a firewire port would be nice and wi-fi is a must. flash storage would be cool too. no moving parts. good battery life. that's about it. as portable as my 12" PowerBook is, it's still another 5 pounds in my bag. along with the power supply and sleeve. i want a notebook computer that is actually the size and weight of a small notebook. something that will fit in my glove box and can bang around in a backpack and i can pull it out on the train with ease.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
This looks pretty cool.

But I don't think it will be out anytime soon, and I don't think that Microsoft will be producing these themselves... more likely they'll propose a standard that PC makers (Sony, Dell, HP, etc.) will design to.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
tjwett said:
an origami-like device (or at least what i imagine it to be) is exactly what i've always wanted out of a portable. -- i want a notebook computer that is actually the size and weight of a small notebook.

Amen.

And at $500... I just pray the resolution isnt 600x800.

Ars Technica ties together and has a bitchin graphic:

origami-w-keyboard.jpg

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
clayj said:
This looks pretty cool.

But I don't think it will be out anytime soon, and I don't think that Microsoft will be producing these themselves... more likely they'll propose a standard that PC makers (Sony, Dell, HP, etc.) will design to.
Agreed... all I can think of to say is. "meh"

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
Apple and Microsoft go head to head on the same day!!! Wow, this could be ugly.

Whatever Microsoft unveils can't be nearly as eloquent as Apple's stuff. Apple is always ahead of the curve and will probably stun the PC world. Hahaha. GL bill gates!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Actually, it's not the same day. Microsoft's launching on March 2 (Thursday), 2 days after Apple's event. If Apple brings out a tablet-type device, Microsoft's going to be severely overshadowed.

jW

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Lookit Fujitsu's ultra-small line... their website is a mess else I'd provide a link.

They are touch-screen, 800x1024 (I think), and recent ones are decently fast. (Uses Pentium M, but older ones use the pieces of crap Crusoe processors) Only downside is no expandability...Built-in WiFi though, and a PCMCIA slot takes care of expansion if you need it...

jellocat

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2005
hmmm....

why does microsoft feel they need to steal apple's thunder on tuesday???

i thought apple was just going to do an ipod boombox, maybe itunes movies, and maybe the macmini/frontrow box. i didn't expect too much due to the 30th birthday thing on april 1st, saving the whopper stuff until then.

well now, maybe apple is bringing out some big toys after all! ;)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm sure some people will question the need for this story, but I think it is relevant industry news, and we will see if anything comes of it. It would be an interesting push / new form factor from Microsoft, which we would hope/expect Apple to have some reaction to.

arn

SAukland

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
good job to microsoft for making the creepiest possible teaser video. it feels like the trailer to a horror movie.

ominous music... shifty animation... suggesting, leading text...

all its missing now:
"COMING THIS SUMMER... TO A TRASH CAN NEAR YOU..."

stoid

macrumors 601
kirk26 said:
I miss when MacRumors used to be a rumors site when I first joined. Those were the days.

Then do yourself and every one else on this board a favor and leave to spare us your whining. In fact, with the Apple event in about 40 hours now, there's been a lot of rumors and speculation. Go read those posts.

At any rate, I agree that it's not likely that Microsoft will enter the PC hardware business, and that it will be classic if Apple releases a tablet on Tuesday and Microsoft releases 'design protocols' two days later. :D

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
skywalker said:
Actually, it's not the same day. Microsoft's launching on March 2 (Thursday), 2 days after Apple's event. If Apple brings out a tablet-type device, Microsoft's going to be severely overshadowed.

jW

"Microsoft is hosting a surprise media presentation on Tuesday (Feb 28) night unveiling an "innovative concept in development". Coincidentally, Apple is also hosting a media event on the same day but rumors have not suggested a similar product from Apple."

Say what? wanna fight?

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wow, this is pretty hilarious. MS plans to have a talk about a product which is far from development, that in all likelihood they themselves wil not even produce. This is the tablet PC all over again! So why are they doing this? And why now? Because every time Apple has an event (in the last 2 years at least), analysts and the media salivate over what will come, and how Apple will change our lives again. I think it's fairly obvious that MS is hoping to steal some of Apple's thunder by introducing a product which is just a concept, won't ship for a while (if ever), and is vaguely a "lifestyle" device like the iPod. This is so transparent it's laughable.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
SAukland said:
all its missing now:
"COMING THIS SUMMER... TO A TRASH CAN NEAR YOU..."
:D

I think Microsoft knows something's afoot. They're plainly trying to hijack Apple's media buzz.

DTphonehome said:
MS plans to have a talk about a product which is far from development,
I think that's one of the kickers between Apple and MS. People complain about Apple coming out with new stuff all the time (iPods, mostly), meanwhile MS announces plans for stuff that's not coming out for years (Vista), and then pushes dates back over and over (again, Vista).

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
mackeeper said:
Apple and Microsoft go head to head on the same day!!! Wow, this could be ugly.

Whatever Microsoft unveils can't be nearly as eloquent as Apple's stuff. Apple is always ahead of the curve and will probably stun the PC world. Hahaha. GL bill gates!

Microsoft: Introducing Origami, the ultra-portable laptop! And it runs the full version of Windows XP!

... minutes later ...

Apple: introducing the MacPad, the ultra-portable PDA that runs the full version of OS X!

Which would you rather have? A laptop that's too small yet bigger than a PDA, or simply a PDA?

The one killer thing about the iPod is portability. Let's see if Apple and Microsoft will really go head-to-head on tuesday... :cool:

edit: oups, thought both events were for tuesday...

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
age234 said:
:D

I think Microsoft knows something's afoot. They're plainly trying to hijack Apple's media buzz.

Oh, def. This is hillarious. Poor MS users and Bill Gates. They should all cry in the corner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.