Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft this morning launched an official Apple Watch app for its email client Outlook, offering users of the service the ability to read emails and even respond to messages on their Apple Watch. Before today's app, Outlook users with an Apple Watch received basic notification messages on the wearable device with no real way for interactivity, but now notification pop-ups will show more of the email body and let users jump directly into the app from the Apple Watch's notification center.

screen390x390-800x316.jpeg

Once in the app, users will be able to read their emails and even respond thanks to a few quick reply messages and the ability to dictate their response in a speech-to-text option. The Outlook app also comes with its own glance for quick looks at new emails in an inbox and upcoming calendar appointments. The watch app is out now for users with the iOS app already installed, and should download instantly for those with the Apple Watch's automatic download feature turned on. Those interested who have yet to download the Microsoft Outlook iOS app from the App Store can do so for free [Direct Link].

Article Link: Microsoft Launches 'Outlook' App for Apple Watch

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Outlook for iOS is a good app but it is missing some key security and privacy features. This includes blocking remote images from loading to prevent advertisers, phishers or scammers from getting information on your device or what emails you open.

It has been raised as an issue but they don't seem to take it seriously versus fun features like an iOS watch app or colour labelling of messages.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I am sorry M$, I know you are trying, but I will stick with Apple's mail app.

You are missing out ... it is a pretty decent app. MS actually bought it a while back and I was afraid they destroy it, however, it is getting even better with every release. I sort of like the 'new' Microsoft, they really have improved and open up since Ballmer left and they finally realize that there is a word outside of windows and the start supporting it (and I used be a big MS hater)

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Can't get people to use Windows, so lets bombard Apple's ecosystem with our apps.

jk - nice to see MSFT doing things outside of Windows for a change. I wonder if they will ever make a Edge browser for Mac now.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Can't get people to use Windows, so lets bombard Apple's ecosystem with our apps.

jk - nice to see MSFT doing things outside of Windows for a change. I wonder if they will ever make a Edge browser for Mac now.

MS under Satya Nadella will be worth keeping an eye on. They have several strategies in the Win 10 wave that Apple missed a trick with and would do well to take notice of.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
You are missing out ... it is a pretty decent app. MS actually bought it a while back and I was afraid they destroy it, however, it is getting even better with every release. I sort of like the 'new' Microsoft, they really have improved and open up since Ballmer left and they finally realize that there is a word outside of windows and the start supporting it (and I used be a big MS hater)
Sounds like you are describing Apple.

That said, two things MicroSoft have got right whether you like them or not, (and I don’t). Outlook and Excel. Two very powerful apps.

mainer4101

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
Just like when the Outlook App on the iPhone launched, I'll give it a go for a while. I did end up dropping the App and went back to the mail.app. I do like the idea of being able to reply to an email from the Watch, something we won't see until WatchOS2 comes out. So perhaps until then I'll ride it out and see how it goes.
Microsoft beating Apple to email dictation on Apple Watch?!? :eek::eek::eek:

Just downloaded it pretty cool.
Edit to Add: Fair warning, because I got excited too. Exchange does not offer an option to Reply. Gmail only had a Reply All button. Those are the only two I use for mail, so others may be different.

Another Edit: Exchange is able to reply, but I'm still only seeing a Reply All button.

Last edited:

Farmerp2005

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
West London
The App is still on the banned list for me. Until MS sort their Doo Doo out on the security aspect, it will remain like that. At least I'll know that the only mail I get on my iDevices is for my personal consumption.

Reactions: TheIguana

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I thought the watch was a flop. Why would Microsoft release an app for a product that's a flop? /s

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
This app is still blocked (by me) on my company's Exchange server, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. You give MS your credentials who then login to your Exchange server with their own servers, then deliver the content to your phone via those servers. At least with mail.app, it's a direct connection to our own server.

Reactions: Jeaz

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
This app is still blocked (by me) on my company's Exchange server, and will remain so for the foreseeable future. You give MS your credentials who then login to your Exchange server with their own servers, then deliver the content to your phone via those servers. At least with mail.app, it's a direct connection to our own server.

Not that much of a problem with O365 ;)

nickmc

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Chicago, IL

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England

nickmc

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
Regardless of them storing credentials, their servers still act as a "proxy" for all your mail, calendar and contact data so they can index all metadata. Sure, if we were hosted in Office 365 they'd be able to do that anyway, but this is supposed to be a secure, on-premesis Exchange server.

From their website: Email Credentials. We collect and process your email address and credentials to provide you the Service. Acompli does not use your email credentials for any other purpose. To learn more about how we process your email credentials please see acompli.com/security.

https://www.acompli.com/privacy-policy/

Scary.

Reactions: Jeaz

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail - just a shame Siri will screw up your reply when dictating or it will take you 5 attempts to get it right. In the meantime the iPhone is in your pocket and you could have replied 10 minutes ago.

(Yes I own a watch).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.