Microsoft Previews Windows 8 with Cues from iPad and App Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 1, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2011

macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At AllThingsD, Microsoft previewed Windows 8 for the first time. The early look at the upcoming operating system shows some drastic changes.
    The shown Windows 8 screenshot carries over the tile-based appearance of the Windows Mobile phone, but the new operating system is said to support two types of applications. One is the classic Windows application which will run in the familiar desktop interface, while the second type are HTML5/Javascript applications that look more like a full screen mobile application.

Windows 8 is said to have been influenced by the iPad and is meant to scale from touch screen devices to desktop. The prominent "Store" link seems to suggest that Microsoft will be offering a Windows App Store, much like Apple's Mac App Store. Microsoft promises that while the interface is optimized for touch, it should also work equally well with a mouse and keyboard.

Microsoft details many of the changes they demoed:
    Microsoft has not yet announced a timeframe for Windows 8's launch.

Apple, of course, is also reintegrating iOS mobile inspired changes into their next major operating system. Mac OS X Lion has been billed as taking "our best thinking from iPad" and bringing it all to the Mac. These features include full screen apps, the Mac App Store, and more. Apple will be presenting more on Mac OS X Lion at next week's WWDC.

Article Link: Microsoft Previews Windows 8 with Cues from iPad and App Store

2. macrumors regular

3. Joined:
    May 24, 2011
    I love this, it'll even work on Desktops :D I can't wait :)

4. macrumors 65816

tablo13

Yeah, too conflicted for desktop.

5. Eduardo1971, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Seems cluttered (judging from the screen capture) for my own taste. I'm sure it is a work in progress.

On a side note: it seems like people might have to upgrade to 'touch'-enabled PC's; it looks as though Windows 8 seems to be pushing a 'touch-centric' interface with those interactive tiles. Pretty much a paradigm shift away from icons.

Can't wait to see Lion next week!

6. macrumors 6502a

Slix

Windows is at it again, stealing ideas from Apple. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors member

Bat6111

as Steave Jobs said "Copy Cat Year"

8. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Pathetic UI. Needs work. But then of course so does OS X.

9. macrumors 65816

japanime

Too me, it looks like a children's game, not a robust operating system. Sometimes eye candy gets in the way of getting things done.

10. macrumors G3

roadbloc

How? That looks nothing like OS X. :rolleyes:

11. macrumors newbie

This looks nothing like iOS. It makes iOS4 look like a child's toy OS. Apple better bring some heat next week or they're about to be leapfrogged in terms of software.

12. macrumors 65816

its pretty ironic that Microsoft is turning to ipad and its flawless touch screen interface, I guess they are very envious about the tablet they could had it. Since i left windows from vista I have never used windows 7 and I doubt i will taint my macbook and imac with windows 8, looking forward to the new os x though.

13. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

14. macrumors 68030

It's a good solid effort for making Windows more tablet/finger friendly.

But 90% of Windows systems will be desktops/laptops with keyboards/mice... running "normal" Windows software.

The touch interface is great... until you launch a regular windows program. Then it turns into the same ol' Windows.

15. macrumors member

Bat6111

up there at the article "influences by the iPad :apple:

16. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Sorry if I'm being dumb here... but that to me looks nothing like iOS. It looks like WP7, which works in a much different way (and what looks like a more innovative way might I add) than iOS.

17. macrumors 68020

this is pretty cool, but lets hope for people who use windows its all its cracked up to be. i mean it was all supposed be nice and fluid and applications were supposed to open up quick in every other version of windows, and look how that turned out lol. but it does look pretty cool lets just hope it works.

18. macrumors 6502

It just looks like a layer on top of the OS, not the OS itself...

19. macrumors 6502

iSimx

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I applaud Microsoft! it's a good effort. Sure there are improvements to be made but this is a huge change to the ui

20. macrumors 6502a

I think the UI is great. The multi colors help a user read instantly that each part does and creates color memory.

However, i was disgusted when they went to the regular Windows 7 UI, it feels like Windows 8 is merely another layer on top of an already ridiculously overweight OS. THey need to lightening it a little bit or at least make the UI feel similar

All in all the touch based UI is great, the mouse based UI is ridiculously old.

21. macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Windows just jumped the shark. Can't wait for ChromeOS to eat into its marketshare.

22. macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You clearly haven't used Windows Phone 7. It's at least as fast as shown in this video on a weak mobile phone processor. A full desktop processor will have no problems doing what is shown here.

23. macrumors 68000

Mattsasa

Well not that we didn't already know this but jeez,

The rise of the tablet is sooner than I thought,

full-screen apps, multi-touch, app-store, html5, onscreen keyboards!

This also means that this will prolly be able to be hacked onto the ipad once its launched

This will prolly kill android tablets

24. macrumors regular

Gonky

Much as I love OSX and will be using Lion, I think that looks pretty good. Microsoft have made some pretty brave design choices in the past year!

25. macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Interesting.

I'd like to hear more of under the hood changes. Take some more bloat out of Windows.