Microsoft produces "messanger speak" translation of Homer's Iliad

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by voicegy, May 27, 2004.

1. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    From one of my favorite web sites, The Museum of Hoaxes.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/

I quote the website moderator's comments below - I just got a real kick out of his admission to being an Apple user.:D

"The news that Microsoft has produced a 'messenger speak' translation of Homer's Iliad has been all over the wire services, but is it true? I thought it must be a joke when I first read it... another example of satire being treated as news. But I should have known better. It's Microsoft, after all (they're good at taking great things and making crappier versions of them... sorry, as an Apple user I couldn't resist the obvious joke). So yes, they really did do it... though they only 'translated' the first five books and condensed them down to a few lines each."

Story related links:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2C712B68

http://entertainment.msn.co.uk/films/troy/trimtroy/Default.asp

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Ugh. As if Troy wasn't bad enough....

Perhaps I'm overreacting here, but it seems a bit of an affront for someone, anyone, no matter how wealthy or well-intentioned (though in this case it seems simply self-serving) to take work of literature, a work of art, that is arguably the basis for Western civilization and degrade it to the level of useless gimmick.

4. voicegy thread starter macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    No. You're not. :rolleyes:

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    troy bastardized the illiad, but hopefully it will spark some interest for people to read it, but its harded to pick up than lord of the rings

6. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Um, anyone who was expecting Troy to follow the Illiad to the letter is missing the point. Seriously if you want something that is going to be an exact copy, just read the play.

Literature and movies are two different mediums, what works in one doesn't in the other. They made an entertaining movie, that was their goal. It's not supposed to be a literature or history lesson.

7. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Sorry, I hate to admit it, but the idea/result is so silly that i think it's kinda fun!
    It's not supposed to make sence, it's supposed to be silly... :)

edit:
    Now I read the 5 books through, changed my mind a bit - Now I think it's so unambitious it's just plain boring. Amazing how easy it can be to create a bit of hype...

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Actually, given the increasing number of students who feel they ought to be able to submit their essays in IM shorthand, this is just depressing. :(