Microsoft rant from a current Windows user.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by motc777, Jan 19, 2006.

1. motc777 macrumors member

motc777

Well, I thought this would be o.k. to post in this forum, but if not, and as mentioned in another thread, I welcome any and all profanity laced chastisement. I would think my still using Windows alone would be good enough for a good e-thrashing...:p

I am currently beginning my conversion to all things non-Microsoft and it will culminate in a purchase of a Macbook Pro later this year. However, my affinity for Microsoft started to wane about two years ago, and not surprisingly it all started with Internet Explorer. From this point forward it will be referred to as IE, Internet Exploder, or just simply "crap browser". :D

I started using Firefox back before it went gold and just from using another browser, I could see that my social conditioning to Windows was more sinister than I expected. Just something as simple as tabbed browsing made me think that I had arrived at Shangra La. The speed of this browser was simply astonishing, and I immediately stopped using IE, and now only use it because my company makes me use it with our business apps.

I started to ponder my PC usage and I realized that I was spending way too much time maintaining my computer like it was a 1967 Shelby instead of a brand new car. Everyday, scan for spyware, wait for Windows update to finish it's infinitely long download and installation, and of course the ever popular program corruption of something I wanted to use. The registry was a place I was spending entirely too much time in. I thought to myself, shouldn't the computer work for me, versus me working for the computer?

Well, I started using the Mac G4 we have up here more and more and as I sat there using it, I noticed that I was essentially becoming bored, but not bored in the sense of being bored using a Mac. Being bored because I would get my work done in half the time as I do on a PC. That is, I was not maintaining the computer, but actually using it to get work done. While Microsoft doesn't have a word for this for obvious reasons that were becoming more and more apparent to me by the second, I thought to myself, "Mac users have a name for this...this process...I think it's called productivity."

As an IT student about to graduate, I started to become annoyed that anytime I coded a website according to W3C standards, it inevitably didn't work in the crap browser, but worked fine on a Mac, or a PC using Firefox, Netscape, hell even Opera. My ire with Microsoft just continued to rage and I realized that all those years I thought Mac's weren't compatible, it was actually Microsoft that wasn't compatible with the rest of the civilized world. Why must a company like Microsoft choose to have their own standards and obviously force those onto to companies, or companies roll over and play dead and adopt them, when developers around the world are using W3C? The answer was simple. Bill Gates is in fact Satan..just kidding, but I do believe that while business is business, Microsoft is not interested in being cross platform compliant. I decided then and there, I must cleanse myself.

While I still use a PC today, because that's the world we live in in terms of my having a job, at every opportunity, I choose to use Apple products, or non-Microsoft products because I'm sick of settling for second best and getting first worst. I just got off the Mac G4 even as I write up my little gripe here, and I noticed that while it has 1GB of SDRAM it's operating at 450 Mhz and still lighting fast compared to my Pentium 3.2 Ghz machine with 1 GB SDRAM. That shows me that it's just a better computer all around. What irked me the most just now is that none of the applications on it had been updated at all, so I've resigned myself that to get mor acquainted with the Mac, I need to become our Mac Administrator, even though I'm a newbie! They are treating our machine like a bastard child. I almost vomited.

Anyway, I'm probably sounding like a fanboy, if you can sound like a fanboy and not actually own a Mac yourself, but I'm just surprised how much of Microsoft's swill I ingested over the years because I was either ignorant, dumb, or just plain stupid. Either way, I've decided to join the Church of the Mac and I shall render my tithes and offering accordingly.

End of rant...(hopefully not looking like a jackass)

2. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Dont worry dude, you dont sounds like a jackass, its nice that youve seen the light, I know what a pain defraging, spyware scans and the registry can be. Hope you enjoy your new macbookpro when you get it.
    Welcome to the team:D

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Welcome! Just remember, you dont need to own a mac to be an enthusiast or a club member. you just have to appreciate its quality:)
    Now if you would just get out of that godforsaken lone star state!:p

4. motc777 thread starter macrumors member

motc777

you're SPanish are ye? I've been to SPain, albeit the Canary Islands...Las Palmas was fantastic...

But yeah it is a pain. Just now I upgraded the Mac in the office to Firefox 1.5. Installation was a snap. It downloaded in less than a minute. Then just drag to the applications folder? How easy is that? I mean in Windows you agree to the license agreement the same as on the Mac, but in windows you have to keep hitting next, next, next, then wait for the install. I just agreed to the agreement, dragged the icon to the applications folder. I mean it's the mutts nutts I tell you!

It's like I'm a child who is learning to talk for the first time...this must all seem old hats for you lot, but for me, it's invigorating...

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    This is actually one Rant where the poster sounds sensible and explains hsi frustration without going off (like I would). lol

I understand where you're coming from. I still ahve to use, or rather, be abused by Windows every day at work, and then I go home to my compeltely MAc environment.

We'lls ee waht this year holds for Apple. I think we'll see an even larger jump in Marketshare from users just like yourself.

Hopefully you can stick around and enjoy and contribute to the community. :)

6. motc777 thread starter macrumors member

motc777

TEXAS TOTALLY RULES!!! I actually love living here, but unlike most Texans, and for that matter most Americans, I actually travel outside the country and shocker, own a passport.

I live in the Dallas area which isn't bad. I live in Denton which is about 35 miles North and much better than the smeg heap that is Dallas. However, I know you were just having a go in a friendly way...It's part of being a Texan...he he

I just emailed me manager and asked him if I could be the Mac administrator. Judging the contempt that this department has for the Mac, I don't think it will be a problem.

Onizuka - yeah, I thought that Apple's stock price was mostly attributed to iPods, and there is no doubt that it's helped tremendously. However, if one digs in, they find that people are switching, as will I this year. When I breached the subject with my wife, she asked me if she could have the PC to herself. I told her, be my guest...LOL

7. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Your Microsoft experience sounds very similiar to mine! Once you find something better - there is little regret in leaving MS! Apple products aren't perfect - but they work a lot better than other options. Enjoy the community here- and enjoy Denton while you are there. I spent a few years there and loved it.

8. aquajet, Jan 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013

aquajet macrumors 68020

Huh...speak for yourself. :D

I'm in Denton, too. UNT student. :)

9. motc777 thread starter macrumors member

motc777

I may become a UNT student as well if I goto graduate school. I goto UTA right now...

But I wanted to expand this conversation if I may? What is the main differences in Windows versus the Mac OS in terms of why the OS X seems to work faster? Is it because DOS is a huge spaghetti mess and OS X isn't, or what? Also, why do people continue to use their products? Ignorance like me perhaps?

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like, if I had bought a mac when I was younger, instead I used windows, and always thought of Computers as things that were there for work...and work sucks...so I thought computers suck...

Oh well, better late than never...

11. bookofjames, Jan 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013

bookofjames macrumors newbie

You should spread the gospel of Mac to your wife too. A Mac mini seems to be a good place to start.

I personally switched 2 years back with my 12" Rev B Powerbook, and I've never looked back. I just bought a 2nd hand iMac G3 400MHz Indigo (that's a 4 year old machine) and slapped on 640MB of RAM (that's 512 + 128), installed Tiger on it and now it's zipping through the web. My mom simply loves the simplicity.

Remember: a family that "Mac"s together, stays together. :)

12. motc777 thread starter macrumors member

motc777

So you are saying that if you are Mac'in, you aint jackin?

ARe you gellin? Like a fellon!

13. motc777 thread starter macrumors member

motc777

you know...I'm hoping that my enthusiasm for this machine isn't coming on a bit strong to the point of annoyance. I guess this is just a whole new world to me...kinda like that Simpsons episode where Barney back in the 70's discovered beer...LOL

But seriously, if anyone thinks I'm getting carried away...again...profanity injected replies will not hurt me feelings...:D

14. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

If I had bought a Mac and hadn't spent years (decades?) working on Intel and Windows machines I doubt my career in IT would have taken off.

Sure, I'm not under the hood of a desktop any more these days (Regional IT Director) but it was a big part of my job in the early years and getting here. Without that hands-on practical knowledge...?

So say what you will of Windows, it has its place in the world, and that place is in business.