Microsoft Reader for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Jul 18, 2004.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    How can I read my e-books that are based on the Microsoft Reader on my Powerbook with OSX10.3.4??? Is there a way?? I found an Adobe Reader and a Palm Reader, but not a Microsoft one.

2. msharp macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2004
    Microsoft Reader??!! Never heard of it before. What's its extension(should be the last three words right after the dot in the filename)?
  3. superduperjacob macrumors member

Oct 10, 2003
    When clicking on the link "Can I read my Microsoft Reader eBook on a Mac?" on this web page it says:
    "As of now, no Mac or Linux compatible versions of the Reader are available."
  4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    When I first used Microsoft Reader I thought it was going to be huge. Finally, I can buy all my computer related books for less money and in electronic format. I can read them with my Pocket PC on trips so I don't have to carry a bunch on the plane, at home I can use a laptop because I prefer electronic media over physical paper books. It would have been something like iTunes is today. The fonts were very easy to read on the screen and scaled well between a pocket PC and a desktop PC monitor.

The problem that killed it was the restrictions. A book you purchase will work on a limited number of devices before you would have to buy it again. Apple solved this problem by allowing you to deauthorize a computer and allow it to be on unlimited iPods. Probably most people prefer paper over electronic books too. I was a minority. The market never caught on and seemed to have died. I only bought one book because of the poor selection. It was a good idea but poorly implemented.

I use PDFs and HTML based technical manuals now. Hopefully in a few years, Adobe and Apple will team up and do this when people are ready.
  5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 25, 2003
    >>solved this problem by allowing you to deauthorize a computer and allow it to be on unlimited iPods.<<

I didn't know I could put books on my iPod???
    I'll have to look into that.