Microsoft release Virtual PC update 7.0.2 for Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amac4me, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    I haven't had problems under 7.0.1 with Tiger.
  2. Switzermac macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2005
    thanks i had an issue with virtual switch networking? any one know what thats about
  3. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Virtual Switch Networking didn't work in Tiger with Virtual PC 7.0.1. It seems to have been fixed in 7.0.2 (not confirmed by me yet, but don't get an error message on startup anymore)
  4. witness macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    I've been waiting for this since Tiger came out. I wonder if it fixes any other issues (such is software that doesn't current work on VPC).

EDIT: Nice to see that not much has changed; Virtual Switch does not work with DHCP and the apps that I use still don't work :( Looks like I'll be waiting for x86 macs or a good alternative to VPC (only who's going to bother with x86 emulation on PowerPC now that x86 macs are right round the corner :( ).
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    It's been fixed.
  6. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    lol so what happens when 10.4.2 comes out

only kiddin :D
  7. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Back to the drawing board for M$! :D
  8. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    Well in typical M$ fashion the update for me is a fizzer.

I updated and the version does indicate 7.0.2, however I do still get the virtual switch error when I start VPC. So I reapplied the update and when I open VPC it says that there are items missing and to reinstall the update, which I do, but then it says the same thing over and over and over.

So I reinstall VPC from scratch, add the update, same thing. So reinstall the original again over the updated version and it's fine. Shows as version 7.0.2 but with the virtual switch error message at startup of VPC.

I've repaired permissions as usual, restarted my Mac and all those tricks but no go.

Thanks M$ you reaffirmed my reason for having a Mac.
  9. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2003
    Can anyone comment on the speed of VPC? I have a Dual 2GHz G5, and I'd like to ditch my Dell. I'd be using VPC for development work (Visual Studio, CodeWarrior, etc).
  10. witness macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    I bought a copy of VPC for the same exact reason. I have a 1.67Ghz PowerBook which probably wouldn't compete with a Dual G5, but I would not want to use it as my primary VS development machine.

It works, you would be able to do most things (though some non Microsoft software doesn't work on VPC), but it is very slow. I tend to only use VPC in emergencies (when away from home with no internet connection), the rest of the time I RDP to a Windows box; it's so much faster.

To put it into perspective, VPC running on a PowerPC gives the equivalent of an average PII machine between 200 and 600Mhz depending on the power or your Mac. The software that you need will run, but compiling takes a while, debugging can be very slow, etc...

When Apple bring out there x86 offering next year or the year after then you'll be able to ditch your dell box. Hopefully VMWare will start supporting OSX, in my experience VMWare is a couple of years ahead of VPC in terms of performance, compatibility and features.

I'll probably be one of the first to switch to an x86 PowerBook when the come out.