Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The conversation here is so much different than the fights over android phone vs iPhone. It's the same iOS and the reception is loads different between iPhone and iPad. Without adding in my own opinions, I'm just curious to why?

Older users? Higher incomes, education? Tablets being seen as productivity tools? Smartphones becoming social media, entertainment devices with younger users?

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
The conversation here is so much different than the fights over android phone vs iPhone. It's the same iOS and the reception is loads different between iPhone and iPad. Without adding in my own opinions, I'm just curious to why?

Lemme first make sure I understand your comment. You're confused as to why people are less sure of the iPhone in the face of competition as opposed to the iPad? To answer that simply put Android has caught up in the smartphone competition but the full-sized iPad is still considered the best tablet out there. There are some compelling 7 inch competitors, but in the full-sized area, iPad is still the king. This is largely due to Android developers not producing apps specifically optimized for tablets (they are just scaled up phone versions), and also the price points are comparable to full-sized iPad. Android, however, have managed to dominate the 7 inch market and are also much cheaper than the mini.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
this ad is awesome. funny, creative, and pokes the beast.

It's especially "creative" with the facts. The iPad has a "kickstand," thanks to the standard cover that folds to raise the device at a useful angle. The "real keyboard" the ad trumpets is optional for both the iPad and the Surface, only the real keyboards for the iPad costs a lot less.

So that leaves the USB port. One out of three claims is true, leaving me to think the ad isn't all that awesome.

sjbayguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2013
Advertising that your tablet has a USB port is like advertising a car that has a CD player...when was the last time you played a CD in your car. I can't remember the last time I used a thumb drive to transfer files....everything is on drop box, box, google drive etc. RT takes almost 1/2 of the space on the device...so you're really only getting 16gigs..$100 more for the keyboard. I almost feel bad for Microsoft.....they are the trying to be cool and failing at it miserably.

vaughnfelix

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Wait, they ate 900million?!? You mean like almost a Billion?!? Hahahhaa that's just sad....

Last edited:

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX

Because there are some viable alternatives to the iPhone. HTC One, Galaxy S4, etc. are actually very good devices, and Android for a phone is getting to be a pretty good operating system.

Tablets on the other hand are a different story. There really is no competition for the iPad yet. Android is getting closer to finally having a tablet-ready OS, but it's still got a bit to go.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly Windows 8 and it's tablet equivalent are the first original things Microsoft has done in... uh, probably ever ...But their OS is in fact different as opposed to Android and the other as ran blatant iOS ripoffs, for that they seriously deserve some credit....
I agree. I give them credit for trying something different. Bringing new ideas to the marketplace is good. Unfortunately, it's a terrible interface for a computer. Might work well on a tablet or phone, don't know, haven't tried it, but on a normal PC or laptop it's an absolutely horrible interface. Hard to find the stuff you want, hard to configure the weay you want, just overall hard to work with. Fine if all you want to do is shop and e-mail, but if you want to work with your computer, then it's a mess.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Microsoft is using Siri's voice because Windows 8 doesn't have an alternative..

Seriously, though.. They should instead tell people WHY they should buy a Surface.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I like the way they use Siri, but very misleading ads. Either way, both tablets suck. Nexus rUl3z!!!!!!! OMG :D

----------

Siri: Do you come with all the apps I have?
Surface:
Siri: Do you come with great customer service?
Surface:
Siri: Do you have a voice?
Surface:

You should work for Apple, but you missed putting in the lines for the Surface!

:rolleyes:

lilrush

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
Microsoft stock is down, the price of the surface is plummeting, and iPad runs the tablet market. And Microsoft is the one taking shots in commercials? These must only air on the comedy network :p

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
Please, it's an insinuation of perceived fact. Take a class in advertising. :)

If you take a technical class then I will think about it. It is not a perceived fact...it is an actual fact. The ipad has no USB. As someone who has had one in another tablet it is nice, and is a selling point.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Especially weak considering the iPad DOES have a stand.

Aren't they just throwing money away on these ads at this point? With the price drop it seems pretty obvious they're not selling enough of these, seems like they're just having a fire sale like some of the other tablets that ended up going away.

Yes it does. And considering the Smart Cover costs about $30 while that keyboard accessory costs about $120, it kinda borders on false advertising. Also, you can get an array of keyboards for iPad from Logitech and other vendors. In fact, the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard makes it so you don't need a stand so you can actually use the keyboard-attached iPad on your lap rather than a table.

Of course there is the problem of storage size advertisement considering Windows RT takes about 16GB to 18GB all on its own.

All-in-all, the Surface RT is a proven flop. Won't be long before Microsoft starts discounting the Surface Pro.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
The impression I had of the RT is primarily that it is underpowered. It's an attempt to start "fresh" (ignoring the inclusion of far too much legacy in the codebase) with ARM and a different ecosystem, but it doesn't have the polish, apps, etc. that it needed to pull it off. The battery life and build quality are fine, it just is going to be slow.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Microsoft needs to focus on telling people why they should buy a Surface and not why they should not buy an iPad.

Isn't that exactly what this advert is doing?

"You should buy a Surface because it has USB ports so you can connect flash drives, has a snap-in keyboard and it comes with an integrated kick-stand."

Don't get me wrong, I think the Surface is a dog of a device, but this advert does try and sell the benefits of it.

MacUser1976

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
This is funny. The surface shows of all of it's accessories and features and yet it's a mum. iPad talks, what could be cooler than that! Thanks Microsoft!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
But the RT is the reason they are in the can... The RT is failing. They already haved the number ordered, and they can't even sell that small number... They are in trouble. I assume there is a really big trench being prepared for the massive number of RT's and Pro's that are being gathered... Maybe they will be interned near the Zunes...

Sorry I don't think Wall Street knocked Microsoft stock 12% just because of the Surface RT. The problem is Windows. And the fact that people can get along just fine using a tablet that doesn't have Office on it. That's why I hope Apple makes iWork free this fall. Businesses need Windows and Office. It's becoming quite apparent that consumers really don't.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Terrible ad, absolutely terrible. So obvious it's a desperate attempt to gain customers because Emballmer can't even give away a Surface to his family.
The worse part about this ad is showing the prices at the end. Even the biggest Apple haters on MR can't say that Apple ever does that. There's nothing more classless and frenzied then comparing your product to a competitor in an ad and at the end showing your price is lower than theirs.

At least the Mac vs. PC ads came every few months or so, there's a new Surface vs. iPad ad every week showing nearly the same nonsense. Really Microsoft? The USB port thing again? You already did that in your first failed ad. Sorry Microsoft, it's over. Let it go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.