Microsoft releases WMP 10

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CubaTBird, Sep 2, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The new version is for Windows only. They don't have it for the Mac (yet, if ever).
    It was a long time between version 9 on the PC and version 9 for the Mac to appear. I wouldn't hold my breath..

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Looks like you can access the music stores from inside WMP 10. Finally realizing that Apple is kicking their collective ass because of their lack of software integration.

It's heating up now! :eek: :D

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yep, you're right. Which I think is an even bigger reason that Microsoft will never port WMP10 to the Mac. Bill's thinking: "Let them eat cake!".

5. Zaty macrumors 65816

WMP 10 not for the Mac? No big deal

So long as MS doesn't introuce yet another WMA or WMV format, it's not problem if we don't get WMP 10 for the Mac. After all, WMP 9 for the Mac has not much in common with its Windwos counterpart. MS had to build a WMP 9 for the Mac because of their new formats.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

ive had the beta for a couple months. should i upgrade to the final?

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Back up your data first ;)

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

ahh because of that my windows media player doesn't play wma and wmv formats...i thought my player is just screwed up
    i only have version 8...perhaps i should upgrade that some day

9. Chris1127 macrumors newbie

Is this bad programming or what?

I sense a MasterCard commercial or something here....

My PC was feeling kinda lonely, so I decided to spend a little time with it this afternoon. I went to download WMP10 from WindowsMedia.com, clicked the "Download Now!" link, and guess what? The download window was blocked by the SP2 pop-up blocker! :rolleyes:

Priceless!! :D

10. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

You should use Firefox, it has a "smart" pop-up blocker. It only block ads, and it NEVER blocks windows you want to see. It's really cool. I think it's adaptive, like Thunderbird's spam filter...

11. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Is it only for XP ? I cannot download it for 2000 :confused: :eek:

12. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Windows Media Player 10 vs iTunes

CNET's digital dispatch email - has the title:
    iTunes vs Windows Media Player 10
    links to this page

iTunes gets 8.6 (out of 10)
    WMP 10 gets 8.0 (out of 10)

The email's first paragraph raises:
    When Apple and Microsoft go at each other, you know who usually wins? You do. When it comes to iTunes and Windows Media Player, you just keep winning and winning. Microsoft just debuted Media Player 10.0, a few months after Apple unveiled iTunes 4.6. We've taken a close look at both, so now you can compare head-to-head. What's good? What's bad? Check out our bottom line on both.

13. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

They are somehow missing that QT comes with iTunes and therefore you have the video features as well. WMP just integrates both whereas iTunes and QT are two separate Apps.

14. Zaty macrumors 65816

Yes, WMP 10 is for XP only, or at least for now but I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed that way.

What should be noted IMHO opinion is that Apple's aproach of using two different apps for video and music functionalties is better than MS's failed attempt to put as much features as possible into one player, resulting in a cluttered and not very intuitive UI.

15. JLS macrumors 6502

Anyone watched that trailer for WMP? That is the most lame thing I have ever seen. They try and copy apple's style both for the trailer and the grads on the prog itself, but they use some slow beat music so everyone looks stoned. Im going off microsoft more every day..

16. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I just checked out the trailer, pretty funny...
    1. it's horribly low res
    2. What a lame song
    3. Are those the same "dance moves" Apple uses for the iPod commercials?

Microsoft is not a cool company, nothing they do can be cool, or innovative. And "Smart JukeBox" looks like a direct rip off of iTunes Smart Playlists.

17. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i'm not too worried about WMP. more and more sites that show trailers and such are now using quicktime more and more. like at the yahoo movie site, it used to be they had realplayer, windows media, and quicktime streaming, only the quicktime streaming wasn't as good as the windows so you kinda needed WMP player anyway. now realplayer is gone, and quicktime runs as good if not better. iFilm is kinda the same way, they put the same power behind streaming quicktime as they do windows media. execpt they still have realplayer. my only regret is the sites that require WMP like the yahoo launch music site, and some bits and pieces of iFilm. i think they require explorer and windows and all, so i have a feeling microsoft got a little money in there.

18. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

tacky trailer
    tacky dancing
    tacky music
    tacky plugs

Was going to dowload either of the two higher res versions... but couldn't be bothered... the trailer was bad enough!

Even without iTMS here in Australia I have already voted!
    I switched to iTunes even before I switched to my beautiful 17" Powerbook.

I see nothing there that makes me regret that decision...
    nor is there anything there to wish that they will bring out WMP10 for Mac.

19. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You know what is really dumb. My girlfriend has homework that she has to whatch. It is some special tutorial videos that were made just for education. The catch is, it requires WMP 10 to play!!! Meaning any student without an up to date Windows machine can't watch it. One of the dumbest things ever.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I wanted to update my Win2000 machine to use, just because WMP 9 sucks so much. I noticed the XP only thing too. I guess you can use the webstore with Win98 and up, but for now WMP 10 is XP only. Pretty stupid when so many people are still running older versions of Windows and don't want to upgrade. They are trying to sell a product aren't they? Even iTunes runs on 2000.

Wouldn't even be using WMP 9 if I didn't need it for Cleaner 6. So nice of that product to force me to update to 9 and Real (and throw in .Net for some reason) even when I already had the codecs installed. And so nice of 9 to complete take over my system and add itself everywhere even though I told it NOT to associate itself with ANY files. Makes me want to go back to Cleaner 5.2. :rolleyes:

21. JLS macrumors 6502

Sorry to sound rude.. but I don't believe it. WMP 10 plays the same as 9, only 'better' apparently. WMP 9 still has full support of WMV-HD, I can't imagine any other formats that are only on WMP 10 that arn't on 9... and thats not likely for educational tutorials anyway..

What format is it then that they have asked her to play?

22. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It is .wvx and WMP 9 says it doesn't have the codec to play the video part. Her father who is very good with computers looked into it and was unable to find a mac version of the codec to use. And he really knows his stuff when it comes to these things.

23. JLS macrumors 6502

Windows Media Video Redirector (.wvx) files are Windows Media Metafiles that reference Windows Media Video (.wmv) files, and they have been supported from WMP v7... not new in 10 by any means.

.wvx files are basically just text files that point to an mms stream..

e.g. A sample .wvx file shows this when opened in a text editor...

<ASX version = "3.0">
    <Entry>
    <Ref href = "mms://www.whatever.com/whatever/vid3.wmv" />
    </Entry>
    </ASX>

If you cant find a codec for wvx, just view its source to get the target video data. Maby he doesn't "really knows his stuff when it comes to these things" after all... sorry, but thats a lame thing to say unless you are Bill Gates when it comes to windows products.. :)

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

yippy, is she using a Mac?

Has she tried VLC, or MPlayer? You can find both on Version Tracker.

25. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yes, good advice there. you could kill yourself if you tried that!! :eek:
    actually, no you couldn't. it's impossible to kill yourself by holding your breath, you'd just pass out and start breathing normally again. but an unpleasant experience nonetheless.

i've got WMP 10 at home, not bad, looks better the 9 at least. i like the new icons better as well. and that new 'clouds' visualisation. oohhhh... pretty. :p