Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
And Nintendo has lost.

Microsoft didn't even need to release a new console, just an app. Kind of funny how easily the threat of the Wii U has been brushed aside.

I expect Nintendo to announce that they're exiting the hardware market and will be focusing exclusively on releasing games. Or maybe they'll be able to strike a deal with Microsoft or Sony allowing them to be an official accessory partner or something (so that Nintendo can continue making their games have new and unique interactions without Nintendo having to make the entire console themselves.)

You don’t know what you are talking about. The Wii U tablet is a controller and much more than an app. And you don’t have to spend $60 a year to use it. The 360 is total crap. And Yes I have one, and a Wii and 3 PS3s and I will be getting the Wii U.
I also have all the iOS devices as well as all the handheld consoles.
Nintendo will take the lead again this time unless the Kinect tech actually gets to a point you can use it. Right now it sucks for everything but dance game which are done just as well on the move and Wii.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
If only Sony woul take a cue on this one...

If only Sony took MANY cues...

----------

No way. I hate taking my hands off the buttons just to swipe on the vita screen. To put down the controller to use the tablet is just plain stupid.

Not for gaming but for multimedia... the PS3 needs an OS facelift. X-Cross Media Bar is archaic, ugly and boring. I wish Sony would get a clue and listen to their customers.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
They wont go anywhere.
Little Timmy's mother wont want to spend $500 on a system that only has FPS games (PS3 & XBOX).
Nintendo has found is market.

Where did you come up with $500? As I recall, the consoles haven't been priced like that in a half decade. Here's the current pricing data (all prices are the lowest available from Walmart, because that's where our hypothetical "Little Timmy's mother" is going to shop and what she's going to buy):

The XBOX 360 is $200.
The PlayStation 3 is $250.
The Wii U is $300.

You are correct that the other systems have only FPS games... I will, despite my statements that might suggest otherwise, be looking into owning a Wii U as my next gen system when Nintendo gets around to releasing Pikmin 3 in Spring 2013... I may buy it at that point if there seems to be enough other exclusive games to justify the price, or I may just sit out for this generation entirely (there's a lack of compelling games, for me.)

Lightey

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
And Nintendo has lost.

Microsoft didn't even need to release a new console, just an app. Kind of funny how easily the threat of the Wii U has been brushed aside.

I expect Nintendo to announce that they're exiting the hardware market and will be focusing exclusively on releasing games. Or maybe they'll be able to strike a deal with Microsoft or Sony allowing them to be an official accessory partner or something (so that Nintendo can continue making their games have new and unique interactions without Nintendo having to make the entire console themselves.)

Microsoft will never make gaming on their console as fun and intuitive as Nintendo does. You are not a gamer, and don't even bother calling yourself one.

8ate8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Central Jersey
Where did you come up with $500? As I recall, the consoles haven't been priced like that in a half decade.

Which is when the current gen of Sony and Microsoft consoles were first released. Do you think the "Xbox720" and "PS4" are going to be priced at $200 and $250, respectively, or closer to that $500?

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I think you're missing the whole point. SmartGlass does not replace the controller, it adds an extra dimension to using media on a 360. Kinda like airplay, but better.

Serious question, what part of this app wirelessly streams audio and video from my iOS device to my television? From the OP, this sounds way more like a jazzed up version of the Apple Remote app for an Xbox than anything to do with AirPlay.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
PS3 can connect to the Vita. It is not as cost effective for most gamers, but they are not clueless to the idea of device to device communication.

No way. I hate taking my hands off the buttons just to swipe on the vita screen. To put down the controller to use the tablet is just plain stupid.

I don't want a Vita. Why would I? I HAVE an iPhone. Sony's remote control is garbage. Can't see crap on it and all the buttons are the same. It's also way too easy to accidentally press a button. I want to control my PS3 with my iPhone.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Been using my iPad all night with my 360 playing Forza Horizon, the Forza Horizon Smartglass app turns the iPad into a sat nav for the game so you can set waypoints etc without having to do it on the screen.

Now all I need is one of these to act like a dashboard mount for my sofa:
Handsfree-Ipad-Holder.jpg

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
PS3 can connect to the Vita. It is not as cost effective for most gamers, but they are not clueless to the idea of device to device communication.

iPhone has bluetooth, PS3 has bluetooth. Wonder why no one has generated an app that lets you use an iOS device to use the PS3 when using it as a media center?

Calle68

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Do I have to buy an Xbox?

Everybody at Apple, saw that? A browser on a tv-set. Weird, ah?
For what evil reason I cannot have it on my Apple TV? Ive does not like it? There was something about it in the Steve Job testament against it?
Why not a Safari (a snappier Safari ..) on Apple TV? Ok, without flash, ok ... But, c'mon, take a look at the world around ya ... without reality distortion activated.
BTW: Microsoft, what about some background music in your video?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Which is when the current gen of Sony and Microsoft consoles were first released. Do you think the "Xbox720" and "PS4" are going to be priced at $200 and $250, respectively, or closer to that $500?
I think those are years away and Microsoft and Sony don't feel any pressure to hurry on account of the Wii U's release. They consider their current offerings good enough to go head to head with the Wii U, and Jimmy's mom doesn't know the difference. They're game systems, Jimmy wants one, she's getting what's cheapest.

bayxsonic

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Basically this is a combination of
  • AirPlay (send music and videos)
  • iCloud (share webpages on your devices)
  • Remote app (control TV device from phone)
But it also adds
  • "hidden content behind the main content", which will likely be disappointing if you consider how they only work on some content.

Kudos to MS, though, this is still great. Maybe I will give MS a chance by the time Windows 9 comes out.

Lightey

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
I think those are years away and Microsoft and Sony don't feel any pressure to hurry on account of the Wii U's release. They consider their current offerings good enough to go head to head with the Wii U, and Jimmy's mom doesn't know the difference. They're game systems, Jimmy wants one, she's getting what's cheapest.

Actually, that's not true. If my family wants to buy me something, they ask me SPECIALLY what it is I want. If I say I want a PS3, I'm not going to end up with a 360, because that's not what I asked for. You're assuming all parents are stupid and just want what's cheapest. Some parents actually care about what their kids are going to enjoy the most and get that instead, because it will provide the kid with lasting entertainment instead of getting something they don't want.
I have every major 7th and 8th gen console currently released, and I have a preorder on the Wii U, and I think they're all great, save for the Vita.
You just hate Nintendo.

hathornb

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
Microsoft will never make gaming on their console as fun and intuitive as Nintendo does. You are not a gamer, and don't even bother calling yourself one.

...What? Who on God's green earth who plays console games considers anyone who uses any Nintendo product as the definition of a "gamer" - ????

Literally, cannot be more confused right now..

Last edited:

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Couldn't leave without posting a SmartGlass comment. :p

Can't wait to try this out. We watch a ton of ripped DVD's from a USB connected HDD on the 360. Sure, controller works, but it's a little bit of a pain to wake it up after each show, wait for it to connect, then select a new show.

This is exactly what will happen with your tablet. But this time you can't do it by straight touch.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
You just hate Nintendo.

Actually, my complete list of game systems is an N64, a GC, and a Wii (and my iMac... and my iPhone.) I love Nintendo's games, and I will probably be buying the Wii U for exclusives like Pikmin 3... except so far, that's the only game they've shown that I'm thinking looks like it makes the system worth it. I'll be holding out until buying a Wii U until next year, when maybe the price has dropped some and they actually have a decent exclusives list instead of a list of ports.

As far as parents looking to be nice to kids, there's a list of reasons why that doesn't always work out, and price is on it. If your parents can afford to blow $1K on gaming systems every generation like you said yours did, that's great for you. Most households don't have so much excess cash to spend on video game consoles.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
And Nintendo has lost.

I am a bit out of the loop as my gaming time an interest have dropped dramatically, but as I understand it, there is a bit more to the wii u.

To start, the games can actually be played in full on the handheld screen controller (does that thing have an actual name?) I don't think smart glass does this. This also opens up unique play styles as one player can play on the small screen (a screen other players in the room cannot see).

I don't think the wii u will be anything like the be all end all, but it's features don't seem to be duplicated by smart glass. At least not the important ones.

There is a rumored Xbox tablet on the horizon. That is what I foresee giving the wii u potential competition, especially if priced competitively. Of course it would have to tie Ito the Xbox gaming console as well, but that is almost not even worth speaking of seeing all this other third party hardware Microsoft willingly tied in.

----------

Actually, that's not true. If my family wants to buy me something, they ask me SPECIALLY what it is I want. If I say I want a PS3, I'm not going to end up with a 360, because that's not what I asked for. You're assuming all parents are stupid and just want what's cheapest. Some parents actually care about what their kids are going to enjoy the most and get that instead, because it will provide the kid with lasting entertainment instead of getting something they don't want.
I have every major 7th and 8th gen console currently released, and I have a preorder on the Wii U, and I think they're all great, save for the Vita.
You just hate Nintendo.

Lucky guy. In this economy I'd say you are in the minority. When I was a kid (27 now) I had dozens of snes and genesis games. Hell, probably hundreds. And we weren't a wealthy family. These days, to buy all that, you either have to be wealthy, or spend your money on very little else.

----------

...What? Who on God's green earth who plays console games considers anyone who uses any Nintendo product as the definition of a "gamer" - ????

Literally, cannot be more confused right now..

I know plenty of gamers who use Nintendo products. They just don't limit themselves to only Nintendo products.

In my day, you weren't a gamer unless you played pc games. I still don't consider console brats gamers. :p

----------

Serious question, what part of this app wirelessly streams audio and video from my iOS device to my television? From the OP, this sounds way more like a jazzed up version of the Apple Remote app for an Xbox than anything to do with AirPlay.
I believe it streams from the console to the device which is running smart glass. We have had this sort of streaming for ages. Apple cleaned up the interface and called it air play. Now everything that streams from one device
To another is deemed and air play copy cat.

hathornb

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2010
I am a bit out of the loop as my gaming time an interest have dropped dramatically, but as I understand it, there is a bit more to the wii u.

To start, the games can actually be played in full on the handheld screen controller (does that thing have an actual name?) I don't think smart glass does this. This also opens up unique play styles as one player can play on the small screen (a screen other players in the room cannot see).

I don't think the wii u will be anything like the be all end all, but it's features don't seem to be duplicated by smart glass. At least not the important ones.

There is a rumored Xbox tablet on the horizon. That is what I foresee giving the wii u potential competition, especially if priced competitively. Of course it would have to tie Ito the Xbox gaming console as well, but that is almost not even worth speaking of seeing all this other third party hardware Microsoft willingly tied in.

----------

Lucky guy. In this economy I'd say you are in the minority. When I was a kid (27 now) I had dozens of snes and genesis games. Hell, probably hundreds. And we weren't a wealthy family. These days, to buy all that, you either have to be wealthy, or spend your money on very little else.

----------

I know plenty of gamers who use Nintendo products. They just don't limit themselves to only Nintendo products.

In my day, you weren't a gamer unless you played pc games. I still don't consider console brats gamers. :p

Hehe. Yeah. I was just speaking more to the point that you don't need to own a nintendo product to be a 'gamer' - or at least I don't know many people who consider that the threshold.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Everybody at Apple, saw that? A browser on a tv-set. Weird, ah?
For what evil reason I cannot have it on my Apple TV? Ive does not like it? There was something about it in the Steve Job testament against it?
Why not a Safari (a snappier Safari ..) on Apple TV? Ok, without flash, ok ... But, c'mon, take a look at the world around ya ... without reality distortion activated.
BTW: Microsoft, what about some background music in your video?

I believe it was removed because of "security concerns" (aka jailbreak exploits). The ATV3 is still locked down as tightly as the day it launched and the devs attribute this to a lack of browser. Meanwhile, the older gen ATVs are selling for quadruple what their original prices were.

----------

Just watched the video. I don't think they changed the landscape on watching sports. You can choose who wins with a slider then compare with Xbox Live buddies. You can also do this by thinking of who's gonna win in your head...then texting your friend during and after game about who won. AMAZING.

Come now. Do you see how silly this is? I could argue that texting is eawuallynworthless because I could just pick up te phone and call my friends. While we are at it phones are also worthless because I can just send a telegram.

They are showcasing a potentially fun feature of the software. It's not all that it is limited too. It's the start of something potentially big. How far have these consoles come running the same hardware they've had for over half a decade? I say pretty damn far.

----------

You don’t know what you are talking about. The Wii U tablet is a controller and much more than an app. And you don’t have to spend $60 a year to use it. The 360 is total crap. And Yes I have one, and a Wii and 3 PS3s and I will be getting the Wii U.
I also have all the iOS devices as well as all the handheld consoles.
Nintendo will take the lead again this time unless the Kinect tech actually gets to a point you can use it. Right now it sucks for everything but dance game which are done just as well on the move and Wii.

Dance games being executed just as well on move and wii? I am going to have to disagree wholeheartedly. With the move and wii you have to have a device in your hands, for starters. But I have never seen a dancing game as immersive as those which we see on the kinect. Not even close.

I largely agree with the rest of your synopsis though. Not sure if Nintendo is going to take a huge lead in te American market though. Casual gamers seem to be picking up mobile games like hot cakes instead of consoles and Nintendo tends to lack te killer titles that hardcore gamers crave.

Ice thought about getting a 3ds for te Mario games. But it's just not worth me dropping the money even with the substantial price break. I'll wait until I can get a used unit for under $50 and the games for around $10. There is nothi else on the. Device that remotely piques my interest b

----------

Where did you come up with $500? As I recall, the consoles haven't been priced like that in a half decade. Here's the current pricing data (all prices are the lowest available from Walmart, because that's where our hypothetical "Little Timmy's mother" is going to shop and what she's going to buy):

The XBOX 360 is $200.
The PlayStation 3 is $250.
The Wii U is $300.

You are correct that the other systems have only FPS games... I will, despite my statements that might suggest otherwise, be looking into owning a Wii U as my next gen system when Nintendo gets around to releasing Pikmin 3 in Spring 2013... I may buy it at that point if there seems to be enough other exclusive games to justify the price, or I may just sit out for this generation entirely (there's a lack of compelling games, for me.)

The consoles that you listed, with the exception of the wii u, are nearly a decade old set of hardware. I would venture to guess the wii u isn't cutting edge either (Nintendo has a track record of not being cutting edge) although there is very little info on actual specs. If Sony or MS were to launch new consoles you can bet it would be cutting edge hardware by today's standards. I don't think $500 would be that far off. You mentioned we haven't had consoles that price for a while. The consoles that launched at that price were these very consoles. They have simply dropped in price since
Production has become significantly cheaper.

----------

I don't think this will ever come close to being as efficient as just using the controller.

It's not about efficiency in most cases. It is about additional content. Although text entry would be more efficient than using a controller right out the door.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Been using my iPad all night with my 360 playing Forza Horizon, the Forza Horizon Smartglass app turns the iPad into a sat nav for the game so you can set waypoints etc without having to do it on the screen.
That sounds useful - guess I'd better download it then :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.