Microsoft Remote Desktop ActiveX component for Apple??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ssteve, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ssteve macrumors member

Jan 31, 2006
    O.k. I am using both Safari and/or Camino to connect to a remote computer. I am trying to conect to a Microsoft 2003 Server remote desktop. I am able to connect to this remote computer, but when I try to connect to the remote desktop portion, I get the folowing message.

"This portion of the Remote Web Workplace requires the Microsoft Remote Desktop ActiveX Control. Your browser's security settings may be preventing you from downloading ActiveX controls. Adjust these settings, and try to connect again."

Does anyone know what I need to do here? If I have posted this in the wrong area, go easy on me. This is my very first forum posting looking for assistance. Thank you in advance. :eek:
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Can you use Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection? link
  3. ssteve thread starter macrumors member

Jan 31, 2006
    Thank you. That worked.
  4. hamland macrumors newbie

Dec 19, 2007
    ActiveX for Mac

I'm dealing with the same message that ssteve had. We have an iMac w Leopard at home and my wife is trying to connect to her PC system at work. Does the RDC need to be set up from her work computer or from our iMac or both? I'm a Mac newby and struggling... excuse my ignorance.

5. rodie82 macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2010
    That's the ticket!

That did the trick for me, too. Thanks for the help!

6. sa gringo macrumors member

Jan 11, 2009
    San Antonio TX
    Update ?

That link no longer works anyone know of a new one ?
  7. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2006
  8. michaeljpconlon macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2010
    Hi guys

I'm having the same problem. I've downloaded the application on the link above and still no joy.

I'm using a new imac connecting to a windows server. I can get into my work emails no problem.

9. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2010
    Remote Web Workplace is (used to be) a Windows Small Business Server component. It uses that Active-X control to embed an RDC client in your browser - provided that your browser is IE on Windows. RWW also handles creating a secure connection between the local (in the office) servers and Workstations and your remote (out of the office) computer.

You could make RWW work on your Mac by running a virtual machine in Fusion or Parallels.

Your company may also have VPN services available ( Small Business Server includes a VPN service that is probably turned on ). Check with your IT department to find the settings and address for the VPN.

Once you set up a VPN connection, the Remote Desktop Connection client (links in previous posts) should be able to connect.

Tip: Use the FQDN ( rather than just the server name to connect RDC. This always seems to help the remote computer realize that it should look for the server on the VPN connection.
  10. ginamina28 macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2010
    East Bay Area, California
    Thanks for posting that as I was getting so frustrated with how I had to log on and off of MRD to get it to work. I called Apple today to report that it has issues with Lion, as it worked perfectly with Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro. I also read many forums at Microsoft's sites saying that they will have an update coming for MRD. Right now ... just dealing with trying to work with the issues it has.

I'm now trying CoRD now, but I can't get it to full screen on my secondary monitor .... but at least I can click on fields and don't have to constantly waste time going on and off the app! Are there any other remote desktop apps I can try that work with Microsoft computers? :eek: