Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection... best thing ever!!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JordanShapiro, May 1, 2003.

1. JordanShapiro macrumors member

Forget VPC forever! With this, I'm running my actual desktop PC on my Powerbook, flawlessly. I'm playing MP3s, watching video through a Netgear wireless router. It's fast as hell, completely responsive and has absolutely no limitations. It takes no hard drive space and doesn't cost a cent!

I suggest EVERY hybrid user give this a try... it's making my life so much easier!

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/rdc/default.asp?navindex=s9b

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

:D

Jordan

2. vniow macrumors G4

You can do video?

Back when I had my Powermac, I tried this out and while audio was okay most of the time, video playback was horrible, I couldn't get any of my videos to play worth anything, I was just using a crossover cable if that makes any difference, is there some tip for this or was my hardware just not fast enough? (466Mhz G4 with 16MB ATI Rage, 667Mhz PIII with ATI Radeon 32MB)

The connection was running at a full 100mbs BTW, but I couldn't get a single video to play over the network.

[​IMG]

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I wonder if i could use this to play counterstrike from my PC in the other room on my laptop. that would be badass. that game doesn't take much of anything... hmm... *conniving look.*

4. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

No. The graphics performace isn't good enough to run a game. I use this myself and it is fine for administration of my PC and running DOS apps such as MASM, which is required for my class in assembly language.

I could try CS, though. I'll do that, then post here with the results.

5. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

No luck. CS will not load a game, it just says "Loading" and stops. Guess it can't stream video at such high frame rates over network connections.

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

damn, that sucks. all this remote technology and it can't even stream one of the most basic 3d games in existence. oh well, guess i'll delete that dmg...

7. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I agree, Remote Desktop is the sweetest thing ever. I use it not only to connect to my PC desktop at home, but also to connect to my PC at work. It's like I'm sitting at my desk. I can play video, but it's jerky because the refresh rate is so much slower (around a frame a second). I don't see why you couldn't play a game, it would just be jerky as all hell. Maybe a turn-based game?

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

sounds good. i've just downloaded it and i'll have a play with it. :)

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It looks like it doesn't work with WinXP Home edition, only Pro. Is that true?

10. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

That's true. Luckily I use Win2K at home and XP Pro at work.