Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I want to be able to connect into my PC at work and control it. I can currently do it with pcAnywhere as well as RDC. I'm wondering if I am safe putting Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection on my iMac. I kind of hate to use it since it is MS but if that's the best way to do it, I will.

Also, how easy is it to remove from my iMac? Is there an uninstall program like on PC's?

Thanks

GregE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Are you using the free version? Do you install software on both the PC and the Mac? Is it easy to uninstall from the Mac (I never have tried to uninstall from a Mac before). I definitely don't want to pay a monthly fee since I don't need to use it every day.

Anybody used MS RDC?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Are you using the free version? Do you install software on both the PC and the Mac? Is it easy to uninstall from the Mac (I never have tried to uninstall from a Mac before). I definitely don't want to pay a monthly fee since I don't need to use it every day.

Anybody used MS RDC?

You install the free thing on the PC and control it through your browser on the Mac, its easy, and plenty fast enough with many options should you want them :)

dec0de

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Nashville, TN
IMO .. it has all the features that I personally need. I also like the fact that I can rescale the windows, I dedicate one of my spaces to CoRD and its just like your sitting at the box.

Retired
May 16, 2006
All those little bandwidth conserving toggle and pretty much entire preference pane.

CoRD works but it's just meh...

Just FYI, LogMeIn lets you change many things including the amount of colour, for speedy connections. Luckily I'm always operating with >8MB broadband :)

GregE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Just FYI, LogMeIn lets you change many things including the amount of colour, for speedy connections. Luckily I'm always operating with >8MB broadband :)

Does the free version let you transfer files? I just tried CoRD and it let me access a PC I have set up at work for RDC but to connect to my PC I may want to transfer files sometimes.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
I've been using RDC for maybe six months or so. It does the job, however in Leopard there's a minor issue -- sometimes you'll start typing in all caps in Windows and need to turn caps lock on. Outside of that minor annoyance it's just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.