Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

office_2011_icons.jpg

The Daily reports that Microsoft is "actively working" on bringing its Microsoft Office suite to the iPad, looking to take on Apple's iWork applications for the popular tablet device. The report also says that Microsoft is working on a updated Office for Mac suite, with the new version said to be targeted for a Mac App Store release sometime next year.
According to sources, the tech giant is actively working on adapting its popular software suite for Apple's tablet. With the iPad making up over 80 percent of the tablet market and millions of people worldwide using Office, that could mean big bucks for the tech giant based in Redmond, Wash.

In addition to an iPad-ready version, a new edition of Office is expected for OS X Lion sometime next year. The current version of the desktop package, Office 2011, officially supports [Mac OS X] versions up to Snow Leopard. A Lion version, likely available via the Mac App Store, is widely expected.
Microsoft acknowledged just after the iPad's introduction in early 2010 that the company was "looking at" the possibility of bringing Office to the iPad, but by the time the device actually launched a few months later the company was saying that it had "no current plans" for such an offering.

Article Link: Microsoft Reportedly 'Actively Working' on Office for iPad and Mac App Store

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I was supposed to read the logos as, "WHO?" right?

What's the advantage of this over iWork though? I'm asking from an ignorant standpoint. I really don't know.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I was supposed to read the logos as, "WHO?" right?

What's the advantage of this over iWork though? I'm asking from an ignorant standpoint. I really don't know.

Why does MS Office necessarily need to have an "advantage?" Isn't more 3rd party support for iPad (and iOS overall) good? I think it is.

Then again, this is a news report on Microsoft on an Apple site... I shouldn't be surprised for the start of negative feedback. :rolleyes:

Aren't you guys tired of this PC vs. Mac stuff? I am. Let's move on.

w00master

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It would be interesting to see how this goes, because MS actually put some effort into the Bing app for iPad.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This would be a good move by Microsoft. Quick Office, Pages, and Documents To Go all lack some features that are in the full Office, and while I don't expect Office for iPad to have everything in the Mac or Windows versions, it could have more than other iPad apps.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
I don't see any advantage. I could see it on a regular computer but not a tablet. There's only so much you can do with a spreadsheet on the iPad.

So... there shouldn't be more apps then?

Riiiight. That's good for the ecosystem.

w00master

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't see any advantage. I could see it on a regular computer but not a tablet. There's only so much you can do with a spreadsheet on the iPad.

The big advantage in my mind of Office in general is that it's 100% compatible with Office. If my office used iWork (or LibreOffice), I would be happy never loading Office again, even though I actually really like some of it (Excel especially).

But I do agree -- these apps so far are a bit cumbersome on touch screen. Who knows. Maybe MS will come up with something interesting. Even if they didn't "surpass" the desktop experience but just inched closer to it, it would be a big improvement.

I also agree with the comments above that MS (like any other large software vendor) embracing Apple's app stores is good for consumers.

*cough* even consumers who just bought a certain competing product on Cyber Monday sale *cough*

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I've never really liked Word - but Excel absolutely blows Numbers away. It would be great if Office was 'unbundled' so that each app could be bought cheaper on the App store. An iPad version would be awesome too!

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
This is great news. I've never had any practical use for the cutesy-pootsey application they call Pages. And Numbers as a serious spreadsheet application is a joke.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If this is the case I sincerely hope they make it a lot more efficient than the desktop client which hogs resources, needs regular updates and crashes. I loathe opening word on my system. However if Microsoft is able to make a better version... if I need to tweak a spreadsheet or a doc I would consider using it.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Why does MS Office necessarily need to have an "advantage?" Isn't more 3rd party support for iPad (and iOS overall) good? I think it is.

Then again, this is a news report on Microsoft on an Apple site... I shouldn't be surprised for the start of negative feedback. :rolleyes:

Aren't you guys tired of this PC vs. Mac stuff? I am. Let's move on.

w00master
Not sure why you got "idiotranked" down. Good point.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I hope this is true. I'd love ms office iphone/ipad apps. The iWork one's aren't great for reading office files at times.

Same for the Mac app!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Post-PC indeed.

Another reason not to bother with any other tablet. And quite possibly less of a reason to consider Windows tablets.

Seems iPads can perform as "trucks" after all.....

Of course, it's still just a rumour.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
This has to be true. Microsoft would be fools to not make an office suit for the tablet with 80% of the market. I know that is the one thing keeping me from using my iPad for nearly everything. I need Word and Excel and Powerpoint on a daily basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.