Microsoft Retail Stores Offering at Least $200 for iPad Trade-In

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft is now accepting trade-ins for Apple iPads at its retail stores. The promotion sees Microsoft giving gift cards worth at least $200 for the iPad 2 and newer, meaning purchasers need only spend $149 to get an entry-level Microsoft Surface RT tablet.

[​IMG]
    The offer is valid until October 27, 2013 at Microsoft Retail Stores in the U.S. and Canada, with a limit of one per customer.

Microsoft has been aggressively trying to compete with Apple in the tablet market in recent months; Microsoft has run a number of anti-iPad television advertisements in addition to a recent price cut to its tablets.

Article Link: Microsoft Retail Stores Offering at Least $200 for iPad Trade-In

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors member

For a company that is a direct competitor to Apple, this is a great way for them to get cheap iPads for their employees! :D

In all seriousness, what do they do with the iPads they get (like anyone's going to trade in an iPad for a Surface...)?

4. macrumors 68030

.Andy

5. macrumors 68030

They need them for their commercials! :D

[​IMG]

6. macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

So, er... how's that working out then?

7. macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

"Use towards the purchase of a Surface or other cool products at the Microsoft store"

No thanks. Great idea, but I won't be biting.

8. macrumors 6502

Microsoft will then turn around and eBay the iPads for double that. That's the only way the MS store will ever make any money :D

9. macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Makes sense considering they're about to announce the surface 2. So I guess they're just dumping their old stock...

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Surface won't actually be available until October 27 :)

10. macrumors regular

polterbyte

11. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

It's not about what they are going to do with the ipads, it's about getting their products out to the market. I'd be willing to bet there are people out there who aren't thrilled that the iPad has gained absolutely zero additional functionality since the iPad 2. The functionality it gained over the original iPad were cameras.

12. macrumors 65816

Does a car get any additional functionality every new model year? It does the same thing...get you to and from a place. Only engines, look, bells and whistles get upgraded really.

You're logic is really really bad.

13. macrumors 6502

;-)

14. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

LOL out loud over here.

15. B4U
    macrumors 6502

B4U

How about the other way around?

Bring a surface to Apple Store to "ahem" trade "ahem" it in?:rolleyes:

16. macrumors 6502

Comments like this are a great example of how someone with not much understanding of practically anything can say something @#^% and think they have contributed in an intelligent manner by using the classic "I am willing to bet...."

17. macrumors 6502a

18. macrumors member

What more do you want it to do? It's been getting better upgrades since, for the hardware and software.... do you want it to wipe you when you go to the toilet?

19. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

1) Most people don't buy a car every year
    2) We aren't talking about cars

My logic would makes more sense if you knew the above. ;) and you'd know the above if you weren't a die hard apple enthusiast. Ice cream bars don't gain functionality either yet we buy more than one a year, most of us. But again, we aren't talking about ice cream either. I would suggest you learn a bit of logic before pretending to be an expert on the subject.

20. macrumors regular

I'd be very interested to know how many people wind up trading an old iPad plus $150 for a Surface. But I suspect we will never know.

21. macrumors 6502a

I think you meant trade-ins "OF" Apple iPads. They don't sell iPads, so they can't really accept trade-ins for iPads.

22. macrumors member

Lmao brilliant Microsoft brilliant " if you can't beat them join them"

23. macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

In other business news..

Trade in your Cadillac for a new Kia :eek:

Why would I want to downgrade?

24. macrumors 6502a

The only thing that holds me back from trying the surface is the lack of LTE connection and battery life. Its a little more bulky, but being able to install normal programs I have to use daily is a big plus.

25. macrumors 68030

WardC

What are they doing with them at Microsoft? Using them for batting practice? Using them for toilet seats? Skeet shooting?

They are probably putting viruses on them and selling them on the black market, as a vicious ploy to ruin Apple's market share.