Microsoft Retail Stores to Add iPhone to Trade-In Program, Offer at Least $200

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following news that Microsoft would be accepting trade-ins for Apple iPads at its various retail stores, Forbes is now reporting that the company will add the iPhone to the promotion, offering consumers a minimum of $200 for an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 in select Microsoft stores in the U.S. and Canada.

[​IMG]
    Microsoft has been aggressively trying to compete with Apple in both the phone and tablet market in recent months, with the company posting and later removing anti-Apple Windows Phone videos along with launching Lumia 925 advertisements bashing the iPhone's camera features, The company has also been running a number of anti-iPad television advertisements while also cutting prices to spur sales of its tablet devices. Earlier this week, Microsoft unveiled its second generation of Surface tablets, with shipments set to begin on October 22.

Article Link: Microsoft Retail Stores to Add iPhone to Trade-In Program, Offer at Least $200

2. macrumors regular

MacGeek1987

I don't want to run Windows on my computer never mind my smartphone.

3. macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

It's one thing to trade for the Surface (WHICH I WOULD NEVER DO), but to trade in an iPhone for a windows phone... hellllllll nooooo...

4. macrumors 6502

Yeah, I don't think so. Even with $200 I still have to pay the price of a iPad mini.

5. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

They are optimists. You gotta give 'em that! Maybe their flavor of Reality Distortion, lol

6. macrumors member

Its a trap. MS wants to buy your Apple devices for cheap, because thats the only thing that they can sell easily at profit.

7. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

#timetoswitch

Microsoft is so cute :p

8. macrumors 6502a

$200 for a 4s or 5, what a rip off. Looks like they are hoping to atleast make some money from selling on old iPhones :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

What will they do with all those iPhones? Oh wait, they won't get that many.

10. macrumors newbie

How much will Microsoft pay for a Windows Phone trade in?

11. macrumors 68020

If they give me 350-400 for my 64GB iPhone 5, I'd consider taking the credit to buy some xbox games at the msft store.

12. macrumors 6502a

foodog

Also known as the "We aren't desperate trade-in program"

13. macrumors 65816

Peculiar choice of ad copy, at first glance it reads like, "Trade in your iPad, get a mini". I'm sure it's just a coincidence. :)

14. macrumors 68020

I'm assuming they will donate the iPhones to non-profit organizations/charities and write it off.

That, or they might use them internally since it works better.

15. macrumors 6502a

foodog

yea.... about that......

16. macrumors member

Colino

Desperate times call for ...

17. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I can see trading in old phones for some cash to buy an Xbox or games. That's not why MS is doing this, but who cares?

But you would trade your 64GB iPhone 5 for some games? Do you have a 5s or 5c? What would you use for a phone? Would it really be worth it?

18. macrumors member

Why would they want to do that? They've got plenty of em already, and nobody wants to buy them. They don't want to be the dummy holding the bag, do they?

19. macrumors 6502

decimortis

I just find it funny that it's now Microsoft running the "switcher" campaign against Apple. Never thought I'd see that in all honesty.

D.

20. macrumors 68040

bigjnyc

I wonder why only Apple products. You no want Samsung Galaxy phone and tablets Microsoft?

21. macrumors newbie

Would they accept the original iPhone? :D

22. macrumors member

Another Microsoft ripoff. Verizon gave me $280 for my iPhone 4s/64G when I bought the 5s/64G within 10 minutes of the store opening for 5s sales. Later in the day though, a friend went by and only got $220 for the same phone. Don't know why the allowance went down a few hours later.

23. macrumors member

Subheading of the ad:

"Please. Our employees really want good phones. We'll pay you."

24. macrumors member

Even microsoft want iphones :D.

----------

Because its all based on the condition of the phone... Not just the fact that its the same model.

25. macrumors 6502

This is ridiculous. I don't see anyone switching. The first underlying issue with Windows OS is so dam complicated!

Give up MS and concentrate on your businesses customers.