Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
So I guess if you are still running leopard or below for any reason then you are sol on using skype

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
I find this rather ironic for people who say "Apple can't support every single old computer" every time they discontinue a hardware (or software) feature, to blame MS to discontinue an older version of Skype.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I guess if you are still running leopard or below for any reason then you are sol on using skype
Since the latest version doesn't support even Mountain Lion it seems like way more people would be unnecessary SOL.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Since the latest version doesn't support even Mountain Lion it seems like way more people would be unnecessary SOL.

I don't know why anyone would still be using ML at this point. SL, I could understand (maybe) because of Rosetta.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: Skype alternatives

I was never a big Skype user, but have to admit that in the last year or so, I've had practically no reason to use it at all.

There are too many alternatives out there which, IMO, actually work better than Skype. Have you looked at Zoom videoconferencing (http://www.zoom.us) The free version of the product allows unlimited length video-chats between two parties, and time-limited (30 minutes per session) video-chats with multiple parties.

Zoom has an iOS client as well as a Mac and a Windows version, and supports whiteboard functionality as well as screen sharing. Very bandwidth efficient too. (Commercial versions support a "room connector" server which ensures everyone in one physical location joining the same video-chat session will all communicate over the local LAN instead of each connection going out to the Internet to the server, and back to the other parties again.)

I honestly can't remember when was the last time I used skype :O

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I dunno about you, but if no one pointed it out earlier...

The sidebar in the chat window can also be hidden. This is the latest version, and I can still set it up the same way you did.

I've seen that thanks. The contacts window is too dumbed down and just links to the main bulky window, that also has a favourites/contacts bar that wants to stay there.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
It's about time they shut down these rogue deprecated client versions. This allows for a better consumer experience across platforms and enable Microsoft to develop new, innovative functionality and services.

Also, we all know Skype is widely used for terrorist communication. Consolidating the client base will surely streamline access for lawful interception, thus helping government agencies like FBI, CIA, NSA in protecting people's safety and freedom (US subjects', that is).

I don't see why they shouldn't? If any, VOIP is a threat to traditional cellular operator's business models of selling minutes for a premium. Microsoft and Apple on the other hand aren't particularly concerned about these business models. They are primarily hardware manufacturers and suppliers of additional internet-based services - yet they are not cellular operators or internet providers. As such, they need not be greatly concerned with voice calls. Furthermore, voice call functionality offers little to no potential for product differentation or as a unique selling proposition. No one bases his purchasing decision for or against a particular handheld device (iPhone, Lumia, etc.) or platform (iOS, WP8, Android) on the quality or functionality of voice calls (which both are limited and given by networks anyway).

Though maybe people like FaceTime's (or iMessage's, for that matter) ease of use and quality - which only creates a "vendor lock-in" for Apple's own platform - obviously good for Apple.

The competition between platforms is about software and app ecosystem. As such, I don't see why they shouldn't make a play for VOIP. All it needs is an internet connection - which can also be a cellular one.
They just have to be careful not to alienate carriers not so much to stop them from selling or supporting their devices on their networks.

That was either the best troll post anyone's yet written or... that has to be the best troll post yet written.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't know why anyone would still be using ML at this point. SL, I could understand (maybe) because of Rosetta.
ML is just one version back from the current. Not that crazy for someone to use that for whatever reason and not really expect for random software to stop running on it just because. MS has been supporting XP for over a decade and suddenly having support for an OS version that is less than a couple of years old is something crazy for them? Please.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Because some people are trying to actually work on their Macs instead of booking movie tickets all day. Mavericks is a mess for them.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Because some of my standalone hardware does not work fully in mavericks. And to upgrade I have to let go of 2000 € worth of equipment.

Yep. Room full of large format imaging & printing equipment, & as usual, Mavericks broke all the drivers & Apple didn't give anyone time to develop new ones before it launched. By the time they get reliable drivers worked out for Mavericks, Yosemite will be out. A few of our larger machines haven't functioned reliably on OS X since Snow Leopard due to this runaround.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I used to use skype. Now I use FaceTime. I happen to be fortunate that 90% of my friends and family are all iPhone! iPad or Mac users, so I can communicate with them without the need of third party programs like Skype. I was reading through all the comments and just found it interesting to see the pre/post Microsoft comments and thought I to myself - it really is nice to be all apple and not have to think about all this. It just seems scary outside the apple walled garden. :D

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
I find this rather ironic for people who say "Apple can't support every single old computer" every time they discontinue a hardware (or software) feature, to blame MS to discontinue an older version of Skype.

It's not that. It is that version 2.8 is an upgrade over the current version in their eyes. They could upgrade if they want quite easily but they hate the latest version so much they will never and now they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Basically MS screwed up skype when they bought it in their eyes. I don't think they screwed it up but they definitely bloated it. I use the latest version and I am happy though :p

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I've seen that thanks. The contacts window is too dumbed down and just links to the main bulky window, that also has a favourites/contacts bar that wants to stay there.

You can just drag that aside if you want though and it vanishes. Then enable "open chats in new window" and the sidebar never reappears. :) (ergo there is no giant main window anymore)

skype.jpg

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Because some of my standalone hardware does not work fully in mavericks. And to upgrade I have to let go of 2000 € worth of equipment.

That makes sense. I didn't know things didn't work in Mavericks that worked in ML. I kind of assumed it did.

Because some people are trying to actually work on their Macs instead of booking movie tickets all day. Mavericks is a mess for them.

Could you be more specific?

ML is just one version back from the current. Not that crazy for someone to use that for whatever reason and not really expect for random software to stop running on it just because. MS has been supporting XP for over a decade and suddenly having support for an OS version that is less than a couple of years old is something crazy for them? Please.

Well, no.. it isn't crazy. But if there's something supported in Mavericks that they want to use in their OS X Skype version that isn't in ML I guess it does?

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Excuse me MS. How am I suppose to communicate with my friends overseas who are using Skype on their G5 and G4 Macintosh computers? We CAN'T upgrade to a newer version! Is MS dropping support for Skype for Windows XP? Thoses systems are older than my G5! Version 2.8 is the version of Skype we like best on the old G3 system.
Are they going to refund our skype in and out money we purchased in order to call land lines from our computers?

I am in the same boat. My dad still uses my old iMac G5. Still a great machine. No need to retire it in particular looking at his computing needs....

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
I am in the same boat. My dad still uses my old iMac G5. Still a great machine. No need to retire it in particular looking at his computing needs....

Agreed. I have an iMac G5 and have had to replace parts to keep it running, but for the tasks I need that machine to do, it's perfectly fine. And though I use Facetime for one on one conversations, Skype is still the client that all my around the globe friends use for group audio chats. We all met back in the Skypecast days and have kept in contact. Have tried other clients like Oovoo, but we kept coming back to Skype because it has always done the job in the least convoluted way. That has begun to change with each iteration post MS ownership. I predicted it would happen the day they announced the MS acquisition. The latest joke is the iPhone update. You can't view someone's full profile, and you can barely see their status indicator now because it's so tiny. And don't even get me started on the way they changed it to leave you showing on line when you close the app. That has caused A LOT of misunderstandings amongst Skype users when people show as online but don't answer or acknowledge because they aren't really there. :mad::mad:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Unless you're a few versions of iOS out of date. Then you can kiss FaceTime goodbye.

Being inside the walled garden means being on current a current OS unless you have old hardware (those that dont upgrade because of a jailbrake are not inside the walled garden so i dont count them). I understand that there is a small group that fits in the segment, but it is small and shrinking. Even with iOS 8 that will not give all features to iPhone 4 will still work for FaceTime. The bigger problem for FaceTime and Skype is that you need an LTE phone for the connection to be decent. 3G is not very good for video.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
It's not that. It is that version 2.8 is an upgrade over the current version in their eyes. They could upgrade if they want quite easily but they hate the latest version so much they will never and now they are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Basically MS screwed up skype when they bought it in their eyes. I don't think they screwed it up but they definitely bloated it. I use the latest version and I am happy though :p
Yeah, but the same could be told about many things on OSX.
Like, I used Rosetta for a few specific apps that were working very well, and had to upgrade them because Rosetta was discontinued. ;)
Thing is, and as shown by many people in the thread, the whole Chat Window/Contact List option is achievable. It makes me think some people didn't even try to make it happen and are just saying it's ***** for the sake of it.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
That was either the best troll post anyone's yet written or... that has to be the best troll post yet written.
I admit being snarky in my comments about Skype (first two paragraphs).
Can't quite see what's supposed to be trollish about otherwise the rest, though? Microsoft's deprecation or outright shutting down of older versions would, by the way, in no way be different than Apple's often arbitrary non-support on older OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.